Diyma ref 12 BOX....

Silver Member
Username: Spankinurwoofers

GR, MI US

Post Number: 139
Hey, so I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the 2 12" diyma reference subs and a8000t for my friend's 'cheap sq' setup.

1 question tho, what size box would it do best in? it says "~1 cu. ft". wondering if bigger or smaller would work better, no preference or limits(for ~1 cu.ft. at least, lol). most likely sealed.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 5798
.75-1cube dont port it.

Silver Member

GR, MI US

Post Number: 143
Thanks mat

Gold Member

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 5802
also i would recommend putting polyfill in their too.

Silver Member

GR, MI US

Post Number: 145
where can i get polyfill? how much is it?

Gold Member
Username: •cam•

BC Canada

Post Number: 1689
Arts and crafts stores usually have it. I can't remember what it costed, but it was more than I thought it should have been.

Silver Member

GR, MI US

Post Number: 146
k, thanks. polyfills a maybe at this point...but thanks for the help. (is polyfill hard to put in, i assume you need to buy some kind of adhesive too? Never used the stuff)

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 1691
Nah, if it's sealed, you can just pack it in there. Up to a pound per cubic foot is the general rule, I think. You can just listen to it, then add some, see how it sounds.

Silver Member

GR, MI US

Post Number: 147
sweet, thanks man.

Silver Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois United States

Post Number: 747
I thought polyfill was only necessary if the box was to small? If the box is the correct size, is polyfill really needed?

Or is it simply for the fact that when the air in the box heats up, the polyfill can do its thing and KEEP everything sounding good?

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 1695
I don't think it has anything to do with the air in the box heating up. I read a technical description of the function, but that was a while ago, and it hasn't seemed to have stuck with me. Anyway, you can save a little space, and it can be good to adjust the response, post construction.

Silver Member

GR, MI US

Post Number: 150
anybody have any links for polyfill? like what it does, how to use, reviews of some sort, etc...?

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 1699
"I've heard allot of people saying that the polyfill tricks the subwoofer into thinking the box is bigger. Personally, I laugh at this explaination. Tricking a subwoofer? Pah-leeeese.

What polyfill really does is break up the standing compression waves that happen when there are multiple flat surfaces within a box. With polyfill the compression wave produced by the subwoofer reacts as if the box is larger than it is. You can use this method on all speaker boxes, but is hard to calculate with any vented boxes. One thing to remember with polyfill and vented boxes....keep the polyfill away from the port as it will interupt the air flow and will create a fluttering or humming sound."

Pasted from a post by Q45guy on Oznium.

Look on SSA, I think there was something on there about it.

From experience, I can tell you it helps the low end. That's what I noticed. A little louder, too. That was in an under-sized box, though.

Bronze Member
Username: Waresgaragestereo

Fort Valley, GA United States

Post Number: 35
i was wandering myself what polyfill was , and what it does. thanks for the info.

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 1700
No problem.

Gold Member

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 5806
breaks up standing waves. buy it at walmart in the craft section its like 5$ for a bag, its basically pillow stuffing.

Silver Member

GR, MI US

Post Number: 153
good to know, thanks for the good explanation.

Bronze Member
Username: Waresgaragestereo

Fort Valley, GA United States

Post Number: 39
so, after you have it, what do you do with it? fill the box with it or along the sides?

The pillow stuffing, that is.

Silver Member

GR, MI US

Post Number: 155
yea, just pack it to the surface of the inside of the box or...?

Gold Member

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 5808
just fill the box depening on how much. you can buy it in sheets and use adhesive to attatch to the walls or just loosly fill up the box.

Silver Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois United States

Post Number: 750
I read this awhile back myself, but I found it again. Read down about half way, below the second chart.

http://web.archive.org/web/20020808224043/integra.cyberglobe.net/caraudio/resour ces/fiberfill/
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us