Slot port vs. round port (aero)

Gold Member
Username: Mj23dynasty

Some where 12 wangin o..., The Mighty J... USA

Post Number: 1057
Which is better for sql and easier to make? Aero ports are the ones that are made out of round pvc pipes right??

Silver Member
Username: Talon01

Team revolution , Pa Usa

Post Number: 717
slot is the easiest

Gold Member
Username: Jtown

Team Revolution, Texas

Post Number: 1718
you're gonna hear a lot of different answers, I prefer slot ported. They are about the same in difficulty to build IMO (unless you mean fabricating your own aeros)

Silver Member
Username: Alpine97

Paramount, California USA

Post Number: 254
Scott s, thieves has no idea what he is talking about. He knows nothing about car audio.

Gold Member

Team Revolution, Texas

Post Number: 1723
hahaha!!! you don't even know me!

you're just mad because I point out when you're an idiot in SOME of your responses. as far as scott and I go, he is a box builder (scott>me), Dwight asked for opinions I gave mine.

as far as you're concerned, scott and I are on the same audio team....dumbazz

Silver Member
Username: Alpine97

Paramount, California USA

Post Number: 257
cool

Gold Member
Username: Mj23dynasty

Some where 12 wangin o..., The Mighty J... USA

Post Number: 1061
o thieves queit ur were scared to get ur a55 whooped in COD4

Gold Member

Team Revolution, Texas

Post Number: 1726
I hate you!

nah, the network has been all f!cked lately, plus I'm not home anymore, I was playing on my stepdad's 360 while mine was being repaired. when I get it to my apartment my connection will be the sh1t. I'll hit you up then, son!

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 12478
I like just simply cutting a hole and dropping in a $8 flared port. Clean, easy, hides the carpet edge and easily removable.

Silver Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois United States

Post Number: 740
So is there any benefits using one over the other in performance, whether its sq or pure spl? I've heard slot is better (dont remember for which), but then I've heard there is no difference.

Gold Member

Team Revolution, Texas

Post Number: 1733
I like slot over aeros, but I'm gonna try a new design involving aeros to see how I really feel about it, lol

as far as performance, the aeros are supposed to give a cleaner sound and I think are more beneficial in a comp/spl application than slot

Silver Member
Username: 30hrtz

Raleigh, Nc U.s.a

Post Number: 216
I've never heard aero's but i have heard also that they are supposed to produce a "different"sound then slots and have more spl than slots.In my limited (7)slot ported boxes,I like the slots,because they are pretty much free,and they add bracing to the box.But ,unless you use an interchangable slot,you cant really change the tuning of the box.with aero's,atleast you can play with the lenght to change tuning.good luck.

Gold Member
Username: Sinful_systems70

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1186
Flared FTW!!!!
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Http://illuzonemu.serv..., ^^^Sick Game

Post Number: 7527
flared for better sound quality it has its drawbacks thoo... theres sometimes port noise because of the port velocity.. well that happens because of how much port area vs the box space so if you design it good flared port is better

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 3917
Actually they both have drawbacks! Honestly unless they are external I wouldn't use Aeros, to much of a pain in the @ss not to mention internally they cause large amounts of turbulance which negates the added spl gain. A well built slVt port will perform just as well, not have noise and easier to calculate placement. If you have to have a flared port, do a doubled flare ended slot, JMHO...Polo..

Silver Member
Username: Phil_salisbury

Post Number: 493
Good Lord, not this topic again!!!

Slot Ports Vs Aero ( Flared Ports ) have advantage's and disadvantage's depending on the application of usage, plain and simple.

I, myself prefer slot ports because there are no limits as to there design and function and can be put anywhere within design of an enclosure and as mentioned the additional bracing element they provide to the enclosure as well.

Flared Ports for all intent and purposes are not a bad product, but, they're limited in size as to port area and can be a PITA when trying to fit them into a tight enclosure design.

The other drawback is the port flange size which requires more surface area than the physical size of the port which limits where they can be located on the enclosure and fit multiple flared ports have to used to gain port area, it's just compounds the problem of trying to fit them within the enclosure design.

Here's an example of what I mean:

Upload
Upload
Upload

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 12818
IMO u simply cannot beat a aero for in terms of its versatility meaning even if u ran a box building prog to create & tune a box BUT when u put it in ur actual car u somehow dont like what u hear ....u either find its tuned too high\low so in less than 5 minutes u can unscrew & replace thus retuning ur box ...try doing that with a slot or even a removable square\rectangle port ........

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 3932
Do you know how much turbulance that enclosure would have cause, loss of energy, OMG! BTW you can retune a slot very easily!

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 7546
how about a V port guys......anyone tried that and do you think it would perform better than a slot or aero port

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 7955
Hey Phil, I just sent you an email to the email address in your profile. Let me know what you think.

Silver Member
Username: Phil_salisbury

Post Number: 494
Yanks,

Yup, got the e-mail ya sent me.

Just send me a reminder when it gets close to the meet and I'll bring along all the implements of destruction to measure and spec out the trunk of the Scion.

As for this port debacle, it's six of one, half dozen of the other, it can and always has been and will be one of those thorny issue's of which port type serves the purpose intended for regardless of the advantages/disadvantages.

Same BS with subs, these, those, there's are better, depends on the application, there ain't no be all to end one subwoofer that does the job and the same goes for the enclosure.

It's all rather pointless but none the less always worth a lively discussion.

Peace

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 7957
Cool man thanks. I'm just having trouble with getting it accurate. I appreciate it man

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 12824
'''''how about a V port guys......anyone tried that and do you think it would perform better than a slot or aero port'''''

u mean sort of like a pyramid shape right with it being narrow on 1 end & flaring out ?

this is something i always wondered about & wanted to try too ...will try it 1 day to get the experience ...

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1203
"to much of a pain in the @ss not to mention internally they cause large amounts of turbulance which negates the added spl gain."

"BTW you can retune a slot very easily!"

There is some truth to your statements but some that are not so... First you talk about turbulence. The flared port will have less turbulence at the entrence and exit of the port than a slot or round port!- info comes right from the Precicion Port webpage. Where do you think the extra SPL you mentioned comes from? Now for the tuning comment you made, it is easy with either but easier with the flared sice there is less wood you need as well as less places for leaks(since you can't seal the removable part). The flared port can be changed much faster as well! Pull out, change length, put back in...DONE with 4 screws in less than a minute. All that plus, where are you going to store your pre built ports that take up alot of space? I can go buy a tube any length whenever I decide to change it and I could still change it faster than a slot port! Now, I am not saying one is better than the other but I wanted to clear this up. Also, the port area being a poblem is a comment that I agree with as well as the comment that it depends on the application to determine which is better. If you had a perfect design for both, I personally would go with the flared ports since they are so easy to install and change plus have higher SPL capabilities and great SQ. But yes the slot port does help as a brace but only when it is in the right place in the enclosure... Hope this helps

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1204
Oh yeah, and for the comment that tuning a slot port is easier, They are both easy to deturmine, You go to the correct port calculator and enter your deminsions, CuFt, tunning frequency, etc. and "boom" it tells you how long to make the port. Slot uses more wood and time to cut and assemble than flared ports!!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us