Explain clipping to a newb please

Silver Member
Username: Durski

Post Number: 206
All I know about clipping is that it will damage the subs / possibly amp. Droppin a good chunk of change on upgrades and I want it to last.

So, is it not enough power? too much? HU settings?

Gold Member
Username: J_baby15

Murray, Kentucky

Post Number: 2147
If your alt doesn't produce enough power to supply your electrical stuff then it will clip. A running car usually sits around 14.2v-14.5v, lets say you hook up a 2000rms amp and your stock alt cannot supply it with the amount of power it needs, then you will have voltage drop and clipping. Can also damage your subs if you turn the gain up too high, instead of setting it correctly.
When choosing the alt, see how much current your amp uses, then add around 50-60a to that to supply your stock electric. You will also want to upgrade the "Big 3" to 0ga, which will help some, and possibly an extra battery or 2, depending on how big of a system your looking at getting.

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 1137
http://www.bcae1.com/

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 3359
I will try to explain this simply.

Clipping occurs when an amplifier is sent a signal that is too high for it to reproduce properly. In other words, any amp has a certain amount of voltage that it can put out... when the signal voltage causes the amp to use up all of it's capability, it trims the highest peaks of the signal and the amp continues to struggle to reproduce the remainder of the signal, and in turn causes a distorted (and speaker killing) output. In a clipped waveform display as shown below, notice how the very tops (and bottoms in this case, called symmetrical clipping) of the waveforms are cut off, hence the word clipped.

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Drivingreckless

DD 9515f, 148.2 db Mov...

Post Number: 5092
brad explained it best

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5508
Good explanation of what it is.

But I think he wants to know what causes it. Usually, improper gain setting or inadequate electrical system.

Gold Member
Username: J_baby15

Murray, Kentucky

Post Number: 2148
I knew there was sumn to do w/ the gain, but couldnt really think of how to explain it. All I really knew how to explain was the electrical part.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us