GR, MI US

Post Number: 122
Looking at these HU's:

Alpine CDA-9884
CDA-9886
CDA-9887
Pioneer P690UB
P6900UB

Which ones would be easiest to use, sound best, what are the differences between them??? Or any other better HU's around $200-250? Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 5715
9887 would be my choice.

Silver Member
Username: Spankinurwoofers

GR, MI US

Post Number: 123
I'm leaning towards either the 9886 or 9887, the 9886 is a bit cheaper.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5483
First of all definetly get an alpine.

I would get the 9886, but if price were no object then the 9887. IMO the extra "features" aren't worth it unless you've got money to burn......

Silver Member
Username: Spankinurwoofers

GR, MI US

Post Number: 125
yea, don't really have money to burn at the moment, lol. Well I'm trying to sell 2 hu's locally...an old sony(really nice for a sony...) and a jensen dvd deck. until i sell those, I'm pretty much just planning out what to buy.

Thanks for the input.

Silver Member
Username: Marcooo

Post Number: 220
What Alpine deck you think I should get if I'm looking for the same things YT is pretty much but have $350 to spend? Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Jtown

Team Revolution, Texas

Post Number: 1698
alpine>pioneer IMO

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5487
9886 you can get for that price

Silver Member
Username: Durski

Post Number: 204
9886 and 9887 look to both be $300...Where do you guys see these cheaper?

Silver Member
Username: Durski

Post Number: 205
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9746_Alpine+iDA-X001.html#
this one is $249, originally $449, I'm looking for a new HU as well and am considering this one.

Gold Member
Username: Blainew

Post Number: 2803
I think that the 9887 is the best unit out right now.....

Silver Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 195
if you were to ever get a pioneer HU, get the premier series. they are pioneers top line. But get the alpine lol

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

IM THE REAL SLIM SHADY

Post Number: 16863
premier and the pioneer are basically the same thing. with the premier you get 2 year warranty instead of one.

in the past the premier used to have a slight better preout voltage but now they are all the same.

Platinum Member

IM THE REAL SLIM SHADY

Post Number: 16864
btw sq wise i like the pioneer better than the alpine. i've heard them all and i like pioneer better.

but only thing that bothers me about the pioneer is that you get alt whine noise easily. some get it and some don't but alot of people have problems with that. i don't know why pioneer don't fix that problem.

Silver Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 196
i did have a alt whine but it got fixed when i ran all the rca's. i had 1 rca to the sub amp and then 1 from the sub amp to the speaker amp. i just ran the 4channel rcas to the speaker amp and it got rid of the whine.

if that makes sense, i wrote it all really fast

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5496
Chad, I find it very hard to believe that you actually noticed an SQ difference between those two untis. Thats damn near impossible.

Were they both connected to the same system, the only variable being the HU?

Platinum Member

IM THE REAL SLIM SHADY

Post Number: 16869
M.S. not all head units sound the same.

there is a shop that has both alpines and the pioneers setup to same speakers. i took my own cd in there and took a listen. i messed with the eq settings and all. in other words, i took my time checking them out.

its just i liked the pioneer better. that is why i bought the 690 from that place. to other people, maybe its different.

like i said to me.

its not like i couldn't try out any of the alpine units. if you see the list of equipments i've used in your other thread, all of my head units are pioneer. that is because to me i like the way pioneer sounds better.

Platinum Member

IM THE REAL SLIM SHADY

Post Number: 16870
but like i said above, due to the damn whine sound, i doubt i'll ever buy another pioneer head unit. unless they get it fixed. my 980 and the 690 had whine. i had to ground the damn rca cable. of course that made the problem go away but i don't feel the need to do that.

i bought the pioneer indash dvd cause the dealer told me the indash's never have that problem. its the normal head units that does. which they were right cause my indash is working like a champ. (knock on wood).

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5504
Sorry Chad but I'm still skeptical. Both of those units use a high quality DAC, it should be almost impossible to tell a difference between them. Thats is, will ALL types of settings that alter the sound turned off.

I've had people tell me before that new headunit X sounds better than their old headunit Y. And every time (assuming both had a good 24 bit DAC and high RCA voltage) I was able to make both sound exactly the same to the person saying that.........

Platinum Member

IM THE REAL SLIM SHADY

Post Number: 16877
mess around with both side by side and you'll know what i am talking about. you might like the sound of the alpine better.

Silver Member
Username: Alpine97

Paramount, California USA

Post Number: 227
For shure Alpine...I had Alpine decks in the pasy and currently have one that I bought off my best friend (CDA-9811) and it has been working perfect for the last 2 years. Put it in my other car. They last forever, are user friendly, and have extreem sound quality!

Bronze Member
Username: Gignmofo

Post Number: 88
More than likely your head unit will not be the weakest link in your audio chain. Grounding, impedance mismatches, under/over powered speakers, will all affect you sound. My advice is to really spend time tuning your system(eq'ing, fixing rattles, proper placement of speakers will probably give you more bang for your buck than "this unit vs. that unit".

In short either head unit will sound great.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5518
^^^^^ well said

I laugh when people say one HU has so much better SQ than another when they're both high end units......... like I said before if there's a difference, it's due to some setting or something other than the HU.

Silver Member

Post Number: 223
Pioneer DEH-980BT <alpine> Alpine IDA-X001? Sounds to be the general consensus here. Is there anyone who's owned a DEH-980BT and one of Alpine's better models? If so was there anything at all you like on your Pioneer more than your Alpine? Thanks

PS I like the IDA-X001 because of the screen and iPod stuff, but IDK if the missing CD player will bother me or not...

Silver Member
Username: Nickyp0219

Post Number: 351
if i were you, id get a hu w/ a cd player. Id be lost without mine, then just hook up the ipod as well. Dont just go with one though.

Silver Member

Post Number: 279
Alpine IDA-X001.

HU's do make a difference in a lot of things if you care about sound. The amp/volt rate. The subwoofer pre-outs, some come with more or less. The power lever of the pre-outs, (volts). Etc.........Tuning also makes a BIG difference.

Silver Member

Post Number: 225
*edit* I meant <alpine>...
I wrote that, but IDK wtf happend to it lol

Silver Member

Post Number: 226
Guess you can't have <>... Well it was suppossed to say Alpine CDA-9887 in there

Silver Member

Post Number: 286
Dude, go with the Alpine. They are easy to use. They look good, and they are good.

Silver Member

Post Number: 227
I think I'ma wait for all the new models to come out before I decide since I don't need it for awhile. I've heard a lot of good things about Alpine, but IDK, I've had a Pioneer 590ib for awhile and besides not really liking the color, IDK it's just dark and blue, the only thing wrong with it is sometimes the screen will blank out, but that doesn't happen often. That's why I liked the DEH-980BT it just looked really vibrant lol and the built in bluetooth is a nice touch.

So IDK... oh well got plenty of time to decide.

Silver Member

Post Number: 290
I like the older models better than the newer ones myself (Alpine)

Platinum Member

IM THE REAL SLIM SHADY

Post Number: 16896
"I laugh when people say one HU has so much better SQ than another when they're both high end units......... like I said before if there's a difference, it's due to some setting or something other than the HU."

you can laugh at me all you want M.S.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 3916
Upload

I like my Alpine to!>Polo.

Gold Member
Username: Sinful_systems70

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1187
I prefer the Pioneer Premier units with the 6.5 volt preouts... My Pioneer Premier DEH-P9600MP has three sets of 6.5 volt preout as well as 50Wx4 of output (roughly 22W RMS) allowing me to run many more speakers with ease... For example, I can have the four off the head unit, plus two more amps (could be 4 channel amps) and a subwoofer amplifier... You are talking lots of speakers at every range (1 four channel for highs/tweets, 1 four channel for the mids, and 1 mono amp running subs, all the while the HU output is pushing the 4 factory position speakers. Plus this unit has about three pages worth of features and incredible control over the sound... Now the 6.5 volt preouts allow me to run my amps at a lowwer setting and allows the amps to operate slight bit more efficient and alot cooler operation @.5-1 ohms. I have used many of both brands HU and all I can say is Pioneer Premier is better than Alpine which is better than Pioneer. Also the lower # pioneers have horrible SQ since they have hardly any features and little control over the sound.. I had the problems all the way up to the 6700... JMO I hope this helps

Platinum Member

IM THE REAL SLIM SHADY

Post Number: 16899
when i tested the headunits, i disable all the special processing and basically put the eq curve flat.

you can't say that headunit A is going to sound exactly same as the headunit B. one is going to sound different than the other.

also sq is subjective. what may sound good to me may not be your cup of tea. so i don't know why you find it hard to believe that i would choose pioneer over an alpine but that is how it is. basically the same price within its model class.

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1188
This may help...

Pioneer Premier
http://cgi.ebay.com/PIONEER-PREMIER-DEH-P960MP-CD-MP3-WMA-WAV-DEH-P9600MP_W0QQit emZ220192926126QQihZ012QQcategoryZ39752QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Alpine
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?Source=googlebase&Pro ductID=18480

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1189
The Premier is a steal at $250.. JMO

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 3918
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=17088

Bit more even...POlo..

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1190
"Bit more even...POlo.."

The 980BT is not as good as the 960MP....JMO

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 3919
960MP, if this was so you would be able to find them, honestly you can't find them anywhere, not even e-gey...Polo.

Gold Member
Username: Basssquared

Kansas

Post Number: 1905
Polo i've seen vids on youtube of my Bonneville ssie smoking your Grand PRix GTP ;)

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 3920
Your a tard! If you knew anything from the factory the SSEI is a whole second slower, Fact... This is because of the suspension and the fact your car is considered a luxury car so it has a luxury shift computer controlled valve body in the trans, another fact. Polo.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 3921
BTW- YOUR CAR IS A LOT HEAVIER, LOL. > pOLO.

Gold Member

Team Revolution, Texas

Post Number: 1747
pwned.....

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1191
http://cgi.ebay.com/PIONEER-PREMIER-DEH-P960MP-CD-MP3-WMA-WAV-DEH-P9600MP_W0QQit emZ220192926126QQihZ012QQcategoryZ39752QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 3922
There is a reason why they retired that faceplate design, nothing but problems Polo...

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1192
^^^^^"if this was so you would be able to find them"

You could find them until they were all bought up!!!! Sold out quick at over $450 online and much more retail!!!!!!

^^^^"honestly you can't find them anywhere, not even e-gey"

That proves my piont... This unit is so good that they are all gone, sold out, and not many people want to get rid of them either...
And I posted one from "e=gey" LL

Platinum Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 13606
I got 2....I dont even use one of them...

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1193
Almost all newer (good/quality) HU have flip out or flip down faces???? Though most are only to eject and insert a disc... What about motorized screens??? Those have problems as well but you don't hear people complaining about that and people still are wanting/buying them. I have had mine for over 2 years and had 0 problems.... Maybe people should be more careful with their audio equipment!!! JMO

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1194
Got 2 what???? Chauncey

and the Alpine's being compared as well as the pioneer premier you suggested has a flip down face.... There were also many problems with that design yet it seems to be the standard now a days... JMO

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 3926
No, the flip down with the tilt has had a lot of problems, look it up! The 960 was a good HU but it had motorized problems because of the lower tilt. If you have had yours for 2 years then you bought an obsolite item, the 980bt is now two years old and still sells like it was just invented, ll. Polo...

Platinum Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 13608
960's I ordered 3 from Mick a while ago..never got one of them...

Gold Member

Team Revolution, Texas

Post Number: 1749
I used to have an older HU with the motorized face, got rid of it, started having problems with the CDs getting stuck, needle nose pliers FTL:-(

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 3928
Sh!t I don't even trust mine, all music on Ipod, no motorized nothing! Polo..

PS- Matter of fact if I don't have the remote I don't even touch it, not even a finger print on my HU, lmfao...

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1195
I bought the 960 long before 2 years ago, just never used it. Sat in the basement for quite some time before I even hooked it up and even after sitting for years it still gave no problems. The flip down on the HU's suggested in this thread has had its problems too. I had numerious HU (lots of Clarion's) with this flip down face have face plate issues within a year of install... Some even had spring loaded connections to make sure the connections was made and was good and still had issues like the face would not light up, or would light up but not function, only some buttons would work, etc.... The reason you can google the 960 and find "problem posts" is because people who read that constantly post that in forums like this because a few morons ruined their equipment and blamed it on pioneer!!! USER ERROR! Mine moves smoothly and has had 0 glitches or problems and it has had a long shelf life before a good amount of play time... On top of that, for the last 2 years my subs have rattled and vibrated this unit and still no problems!!!!!

^^^^^"the 980bt is now two years old and still sells like it was just invented"

Well it a good thing I got the HU with more and better features before it was all sold out... JMO

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1196
I have a 9 year old sony moterized face plate HU and have had 0 problems with that one as well!!!!!!

"started having problems with the CDs getting stuck" -

I saw that before and it was because someone installed it incorrectly and the HU cage that attatches to the mounting kit was squishing the HU and stopping the CD from ejecting!! I saw another that had dirty wheels that ejected the CD so it just spun on the disc not pushing it... It put nasty lines on the guys CD!! Definetly FTL!!!

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 3929
Never mind, I noticed that you have been into car audio for 8 years + and a engine builder, what would I know compared to you? > Polo..

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1197
Even if there is a problem its usually only a ribbon cable, a $5 part!!! Not a big deal... I still will take the extra features with the motorized face plate any day... JMO

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 3930
Never mind, I noticed that you have been into car audio for 8 years + and a engine builder, what would I know compared to you?>Polo..

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1198
Actually I have been into car audio for many more years than that, just wasn't getting paid installing then. Only did my own personal systems and a few friends and family.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 3931
"Never mind, I noticed that you have been into car audio for 8 years + and a engine builder, what would I know compared to you?"

Was a bit of criticism dude lOl, 8 years, even 10 years is nothing... Still a noob to some of older crowds... :-O Polo..

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5572
My last comment was not directed specifically at you Chad, just in general. I said what I needed to say here, I don't care who does/doesn't believe it.

Platinum Member

IM THE REAL SLIM SHADY

Post Number: 16938
its my bad M.S. i came home late yesterday from working my azz off and was in a foul mood. i thought it was directed at me personally but i misunderstood. sorry again bud.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5575
It's cool

Platinum Member

IM THE REAL SLIM SHADY

Post Number: 16953
:-).....chad

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 12838
still am satisfied with my 860 premier even 3yrs now ......
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us