Wattage

Bronze Member
Username: Trunkslayer

Fl US

Post Number: 28
How can you measure the wattage from your amp?
Does it have something to do with equations?

Bronze Member
Username: Bonhamd

Northern, Michigan USA

Post Number: 83
bench test

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5463
YOU can't. Someone with the right equipment could, but good luck finding them. Most shops don't even have it.

Silver Member
Username: Pbplayer05

Carroll, Iowa

Post Number: 242
no Sh*t i went to my audio shop and they were lke wats is that and said u cant do that

Gold Member
Username: Jtown

Team Revolution, Texas

Post Number: 1697
I went to a pretty big Car Audio Franchise in Texas, called Custom Sounds

I asked if they had a TL...."what's that?" A decibel meter...."a what?" A decibel meter..."oh, you mean a db meter? no way, those things are way too expensive, you're not gonna find any place around here that has one..."

but I know a place that has one, it is a real small shop. the store is smaller than my apartment, and they only have one garage port:-)

Silver Member
Username: Ccdoggy

Post Number: 179
umm.. you want wattage measured,

couldent you do that with a clamp meter (true rms) around one of the speaker wires to get the AC current and then another multimeter to test the AC voltage and then just multiply them to get wattage? Assuming this would be done with test tones for consistency.

Silver Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 998
That doesn't tell you anything accurate or usable. A rough idea? Sure, but about as accurate a measurement as sony uses.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5494
You need a very high current power supply, really big resistors (can't use speakers as the load), and a scope to do a benchtest.

Silver Member
Username: Ccdoggy

Post Number: 180
Yea i suppose you are right, due to the impedance variation in the driver it wouldent be ideal. but you could get a rough idea for that driver atleast.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5503
You wouldn't really even get a rough idea....... you'd get a falsely high reading (by a lot)

Actually bcae1 has an article on this very subject
http://www.bcae1.com/measpwr.htm
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us