Sony XM-554ZR 600w amp good enough for my car ???

Username: Superrober

Post Number: 1
Hello

I know only the basics about car audio and I would really appreciate any advice for the dozens of connoisseurs in this forum.

I currently own a Sony XM-554ZR 600w amp hooked to a Crossfire SQ6 component. It sounds loud and just OK, mainly because the speakers on the back are less "powerful" I'm looking into buying a subwoofer ( a tube because I need the trunk space, maybe that NOS8 bazooka? )and two more speakers for the back

Would anyone please recommend if there are any good tube subs and if my sony amp will be enough for all my setup including two new speakers?

Thanks !!

Silver Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 188
post a max budget for your sub,amp,box. what are you looking for? sq, sql, spl?

sq-sound quality
spl-loud
sql-both sq and spl

i would steer away from a tube sub if i were you. there are plenty of 8" or 10" subs that require a very small box and can still be a lot better than a tube.

Post Number: 2
Thank you for the advice, y really prefer sound quality over loudness. My budget would be around $300 for a pair of speakers and a sub, unless I have to buy another amp.

Bronze Member
Username: Waresgaragestereo

Fort Valley, GA United States

Post Number: 18
Roberto,
Below is a "Good, Bad and Ugly" list. it has a list of the bad brands and the highly reccomended brands. check it out.
I've not had good experience with sony or roadgear at all.
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/products/articles/329117.html

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1444
A lot of people will bash Sony car audio mainly because it's the "in" thing to do.
The fact of the matter is that amp will do what you want it to do, especially for a beginner set up.
It will run your fronts with 55w per side and it will bridge to give a 4 ohm sub 130w.
I haven't heard many good results with a tube, but I guess it might be worth a try. Worst case is it will be a learning experience.

Post Number: 4
I already have a crossfire component on the front but the speakers on the back sound very distorted. I considered getting another component for the back ( maybe JL and MB Quart ) because someone told me I may not need a subwofer to play instrumental music. Is he right?

Silver Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 200
if your rear speakers are distorting so much, just unplug them. you dont need them anyways unless you always have people riding with you.

you dont "need" a subwoofer if you feel that your speakers are providing enough bass for your needs. if you want a lil punch in your system then yes you will want to add a subwoofer and sub amp.

Gold Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1445
Almost all music has quite a bit of material below 100hz which is where your typical 6.5's will start to run out of steam.
If SQ's your goal I would say a decent subwoofer would be #2 behind good front speakers.

Post Number: 5
Thank you Zach for the list and everyone else for the excelent advice. I think I will buy another component for the back because I love to feel surrounded by the sound and I can tell that in some songs a few instuments sound only in the back. Can anyone please recommend the best component set for my 600w amp?
Thanks!

Gold Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1446
Actually no sounds at all come from behind you. The only way that would happen is if something was wired wrong.
Rear speakers in a car are only there so the rear passengers can hear the music clearly too.
There is no "back" track in any stereo recording - there is only left and right.
The left front and left rear produce exactly the same sound, as do the right front and right rear.
The objective in setting up a good "sound quality" system is to duplicate a concert - everything comes from in front of you.

That being said - when it comes down to it, if you happen to like rear fill, by all means, go for it. Just know there's nothing that comes exclusively from the rear speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5577
" few instuments sound only in the back "

Impossible....... audio is recorded in 2 channels left and right. Your (front left and rear left), and (front right and rear right) speakers recieve exactly the same signal.

http://www.glasswolf.net/caraudio/rearfill.html

Post Number: 6
What !? I though they did a great job setting up my speakers and apparently they did the opposite?

I swear some guitar solos in a few songs sound only in the back speaker on the right. I had to balance the speakers to the back so I could hear them louder.

I thought car speakers had the same effect as in a home theater (5.1).

Gold Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1448
nope, there's no 5.1 unless you have a high end video processor source unit, AND you're listening to a movie sound track.

music is recorded in 2 channels.

sounds like you've just gotten used to a bad front stage.

FWIW - I have 360w rms to my front speakers, 30w rms to my rears (hu power)

some hard core sq people don't use rear speakers at all.

Post Number: 7
I just came from the dealer and apparently they sold me an amp with a useless channel, that's why it sounded weird. Thank you for the advice! I would have never noticed
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us