Electrical upgrades.

Silver Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 599
ok so i need to up grade mine anyone have any reccomendations for a cheap H/O alt for my 2000 chrysler 300M w/ a 3.5L engine? do i need mutiple batteries if i am only going to listen on low volumes when the engine is off?

Silver Member
Username: Philly306

., North carolina

Post Number: 749
cheap and ho alts don't go together

Silver Member
Username: B3n07

Louisville, Ky USA

Post Number: 674
lol your driving a 300 put some money in it

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 601
i already got some money in it. it cost me 10 grand. but anyways whats the minuimum i am looking to spend on an alt that will run 3500 watts of system (subs and speakers) and where can this priceing? i dont know much about electrical upgrades at all im a total noob. i just know that i am going to need one.

Bronze Member
Username: Ska

Post Number: 24
well i believe an ho alt is like 300ish... multiple batts, are up to you just make sure to get a yellow top

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 5700
plan on spending $400+. and i'd go ahead and upgrade to a kinetik under the hood, and maybe a pair in the back.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 603
400+ including battery and alt? id rather not have multiple batteries unless they are needed i am going to run the stock batt until its dead but i beleive i NEED a HO alt so i dont cook my system. anyone got any suggestions for an alt?

Silver Member
Username: Nickyp0219

Post Number: 325
Excessive Amperage makes good ones, got a 190A ho alt for about 350 shipped. Havent had any problems with it for over a year. Iraggi, im sure guys on here know of some others.

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 5702
ea is hit or miss. iraggi, with all the negative stuff about them lately, i'd steer clear of them to. try mean green, ho alt., ohio.

Silver Member
Username: Marcooo

Post Number: 213
Had a great experience with Iraggi about a month ago, so it's not always bad. And I've heard db electrical has great, relatively cheap alts.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 605
ok i just emailed all of thoes companys to see what they can do for me. none of them offer an alt for my car so its gonna have to be custom and it prob gonna run me 600+ so much for being cheap.

Silver Member
Username: Nickyp0219

Post Number: 328
ouch, sorry to hear man...itll be worth it tho

think about the positives eh? lol

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 607
yea, the fact that between this alt, wiring and my new subs and amp i will have spent over 1500 for bass makes thinkng about the positives a lil hard. but basically all i can say is that this sh1t better blow my brains out hahahaha!

do you think i could install the alt myself im pretty handy but dont really have any idea what i am doing. but is it simply a matter of loosening a few bolts and swapping it out in most cases?

Gold Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 2424
what's your stock alt size?

if it's above like 125, i'd say you safe running an EFFICIENT 1500 rms amp. Some might disagree, but in my jeep (stock 125) i had a zx1500.1 and a zx350.4 with a stock battery and my electrical NEVER dropped below 12 with the car no matter how hard i was bumpin'. Usually rests at like 13.9 car when the car is on. But when the bass would hit hard it would drop to like 12.5 (and that was with the volume really loud).

I honestly think it's all about how good your amp is. My first amp (hifonics 1206) my voltage was dropping low and lights dimming, but then i went and upgraded to a kicker 1500 and got nothing but good results. I'm not sure how many sound systems you've had or heard, but a kicker 1500 will put out 1700+ watts which is plenty for some nice bumps. However, if you're really looking to put a major sound system in this bad boy, then yes you're gonna want a bigazz alternator.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 610
my stock is 130 amp. but i am going to run 2000 rms to 2500 rms. so im deff gonna need the alt. but theres no way i can afford it now that im bout to drop 800+ on the subs and amp and wires so im just gonna have to take it easy and turn the gain all the way down until i can up grade.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5417
Woah, hold the line........ a lot of bad info in this thread.......

You will need the HO alternator

You don't need multiple batteries

Don't get a yellow top or other optima for that matter, if you do replace your battery Kenitik/Odyssey will perform much better.

EA and Iraggi are both questionable at best.

Silver Member
Username: Pbplayer05

Carroll, Iowa

Post Number: 240
hiow about db alt

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5426
They're good but don't have one for his car

Gold Member
Username: Mj23dynasty

Some where 12 wangin o..., The Mighty J... USA

Post Number: 1035
yea tlk 2 MS about electrical he knows his stuff. and welcome to my world mark my HO alt cost 600 ish to for like a 200 amp. Damn Hairpin wind

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 616
i was quoted by excessive amperage for 390 for a custom built 200a alt and am getting quotes on 220 and 250 amp ones. thats a really good price for my car and if the warrenty is right then im gonna have to get that. do you guys think that 200amp is going to be enough for my application tho? agian i am looking to run between 2-3k watts to my subs and i have 1k watt to my 8's, 6x9's and comps.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5435
no EA..... it's looking like you'll have to go highoutputalternator or Ohio Generator for a good one......

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 619
EA wont work at all? what is likely to happen if i buy theirs?

highoutput said they cant do anything except a dual alt setup and i am going to get a call tommrow from ohio on what they can do for me.

but my question of, is 200amps enough, is still in the air.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5438
Not that it won't work, it's that based on user feedback EA and Iraggi's quality is questionable. If I'm going to pay several hundred $ for an alternator I want it to be a good one........ I haven'r seen a single failure of any DB, MCR, Ohio Gen, etc alt that's why I recommend them.

For a 3kw system you want the biggest alternator you can get. I run a 3000w amp on a 200 amp alternator (biggest I could get) and it's good while driving but voltage will drop at idle if I don't turn it down.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 621
yea well i am going to try to get some quotes on a bigger one. but 390 seems like i might be able to afford in the next month or so. but yea im pretty upset that db couldnt help me out but hopefully ohio will be competatively priced.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 642
ohio quoted me at 550 shipped for a 180 amp alt w/ a 1 year warrenty. looks like im gonna give EA a shot they also give me a 1 year warrenty.

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 5713
don't go with ea just cause they're the cheapest one. save up more and get one from a more reliable company. not saying the ea alt. wont work, but it is questionable if it will/for how long. save more now and spend less in the long run.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 644
good point but if i get aplhas then i am going to have to run my zenon @ .5 ohms and to do that i will need a good electrical system and i want to get things moving. its 150 less its worth a shot plus the ohio is only 180 amp and i will ned at least 200 for the power i am going to be running (200 amp is the largest available) or should i try to do a dual alt setup? could that cost less?

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 6499
"ok so i need to up grade mine anyone have any reccomendations for a cheap H/O alt for my 2000 chrysler 300M w/ a 3.5L engine? do i need mutiple batteries if i am only going to listen on low volumes when the engine is off?"

You're willing to spend hundreds on a car, hundreds on subs, hundreds on an amp or amps but you don't want to spend hundreds on the main thing of your high powered audio system? It just doesn't make sense. An alternator and proper wiring for a high powered system can easily range from $300-$700. Actually more but I won't get into a crazy system. Your charging system is the most important thing that needs attention when running current hungry electronics, don't cheap out on your alternator. Anyhow, a dual alt setup will probably be difficult unless you can find a pre-made bracket and that would be kind of expensive running 2 alternators and that will also put an increased load on your engine but to me it would be worth it. You'd never have to worry about voltage drop as long as everything is installed properly. Good luck man.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 647
im gonna buy that EA alt in march when i get more cashflo and i will let you all know how it works. i would spend the extra cash for the ohio but i dont think 180 amp will be enough if it were a 200 amp for 550 shipped then i would consider it.
not sure if it matters or not but that 200 amp alt from EA will be a custom built one because they dont make then specifically for my car.b

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 5714
don't go with the ea. email ohio again and tell them you need a bigger alt. than 180, and email more companies. if you're willing to save for the ea, why aren't you willing to save for a better alt.?

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 649
i am but ohio said they can olny do 180 amp and HO couldnt do anything for me. i am still waiting for quotes from DB and Mean green but its been 2 days now.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5461
Well if EA is your only option so be it....... sux.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us