Alpha vs SX

Silver Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 589
anyone know the box specs on the alpha they arent up on the rd website yet.

in the same enclosure, which will be louder? which will sound better? which will handle more watts daily?

Gold Member
Username: Jtown

Team Revolution, Texas

Post Number: 1637
for the V2
http://www.rdaudio.net/alpha/alpha.htm

I love my V1 personally, but I know Chauncey Brown and can tell you more as far as comparison goes, I believe he said Alpha(on at least 1800wrms)>SX, but I could be wrong

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 592
the box specs arent there. the like to the specs says under construction. i just want to know if 2 V2's will work in 3.7 cubes @ 34 hz i was told that the SX would be able to manage that small of an enclosure.
also where can i find a good price on the V2's if they will work in my box?

Gold Member

Team Revolution, Texas

Post Number: 1639
that may be too small, I don't know for sure. My single v1 is in a 2.5 cuft tuned to 32hz

contact the owner, Steve Miller for exact specs and pricing. he is on this forum, or you can call him

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 600
yea they dont like that small of a box and i cant even afford them. for some reason i thought they were cheaper than the sx. i also wont be able to afford the 4k watt amp to drive them either. for some other reason i though they were 1k watt rms. clearly i was not even looking at the right driver hahaha i think im just gonna go ahead and get the sx's no one has been able to find a louder better sounding sub than them for the same or lesser price at least not one that will work in my box

Silver Member
Username: Teamrevolution

ATLANTA, GA USA

Post Number: 213
we can design a box to work for you with 1000 watts rms each in that box size. They are very efficent and we have many people who run them off 1000w.

For best pricing give kevin a call @ 706-566-8231 if you dont have any luck there call us directly and we can give you some more phone numbers.

We have been using one spider on the Alphas for the guys who want to run 1000-1500 RMS and putting 2 spiders on the guys who want to run 1500+ to them.

If you have any questions feel free to call 770-726-9337 and ask for Steve Miller.

Platinum Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 13549
Steve, can you tell me the rec enclosure for a 15" Alpha V2...

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 602
i must keep my current box because it is built in and it is very sexy. the alphas just wont work for me but you guys sell sx's correct? if so let me know what you can do for a pair shipped to 14506. btw my box is 3.78 cubes tuned to 34.5 hz and has only 36 sqin of port but it is somewhat flared.

Silver Member

ATLANTA, GA USA

Post Number: 214
What is the LxWxH you want to use and what freq. do you want it tuned to?

Anywere from 3-5 cubes will work well. If you have more information i can work a couple options up.

Platinum Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 13551
16"H x 23"D x 33"W

Tuned to 33hz...would prefer aero ports..Thanx

Silver Member

ATLANTA, GA USA

Post Number: 215
that would come to 5.6 cubes if you used 3/4"

5 cubes after displacement if the ports are in the box.

If you use three 4" areos @ 15" in total length you would be tuned @ 33hz with a F3 of 29.5HZ

If you use the same LWH external but make the subwoofer side 1.5" thick you need three 4" aeros @ 15 3/4" that is 5.5 and 4.94 after displacement. with f3 of 30hz.

if you take that and use slot port 8x5" opening @ 15.8" deep that works the best. 4.8 cubes after displacment and f3 of 29 and that is with the 1.5" front plate.

If you need anything diffrent let me know

Silver Member

ATLANTA, GA USA

Post Number: 216
If you ran the Alphas in a 3.8 cube box for two 12" you would want to run no more than 1500 EA for maximum musical performance. But 2k on two of them would work just fine.

Gold Member
Username: Loudon

Post Number: 2199
i run mine ina 3.5 cube box at 32 hz and i love it

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 604
yea thats what i figured but supposedly the sx's will get louder im my particular enclosure and wont require a ton more power to do so.

Platinum Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 13555
mike..any pics of ur box..im looking for a new box for daily driving...

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 606
"i run mine ina 3.5 cube box at 32 hz and i love it"

mike you run 2 12" aplhas in that box? how many watts do you have on the pair? got any vids? how loud is it?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2200
im running a single 15 buddy ...

sundown 1500d

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j117/mikee816/S6300028.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j117/mikee816/S6300029.jpg

http://s78.photobucket.com/albums/j117/mikee816/?action=view&current=S6300044.fl v

http://s78.photobucket.com/albums/j117/mikee816/?action=view&current=S6300079.fl v

Gold Member

Post Number: 2202
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j117/mikee816/S6300602.jpg

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 608
damn that looks pretty loud and obv is. 146 i wish i could hit that but i have a trunk car and i have a feeling my box i going to greatly restrict any driver i put in there except for my old perfects :-(. usually a 15 dosnt require as much box as 2 12's tho so naturally that 15 is going to have more output in that enclosure than the 2 12's will in mine.

Platinum Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 13556
whats the dimensions on that mike??

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 609
2 BNIB sx's for 480 shipped and a zenon amp( not sure on the model) rated for 2200 rms @ 1 ohm for 350 shipped. grand total = 830 only 30 dollers over budget.

anyone know about zenon amps or what model amp i am about to buy hahaha? it is an unbranded model whatever that means

Platinum Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 13558
where are u getting the amp from??

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 611
ca.com

Platinum Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 13560
link??

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 612
nvm its the zenon rca 2500. but does ne one know how this am is?

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 613
i mean 2000 not 2500

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 617
ok so i have 2 alpha v2's for 500 shipped or 2 sx's for 460 shipped. flat out which will get louder and/or sound better in my box (same car either way both would face into cabbin). im willing to drop the extra 40 if it will be worth it.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 620
make that 450 for the sx's

Gold Member

Team Revolution, Texas

Post Number: 1647
I've heard that the alpha will retain SQ at high volumes better than the sx can

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 625
thats the kind of things i like to hear before i buy these bad boys.

Gold Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Fredericksburg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 1832
since LIL ROB is tryin to flame me about the alpha not getting low.... how low will it go... see on this thread i can get real opion of someone who owns the sub...

give me some numbers or atleast and idea

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 627
way to thread jack! nah jp i would also like to know this answer too but still need to know what is better in my box. so agian what would work best in my box?

Gold Member

Team Revolution, Texas

Post Number: 1650
well as far as low goes, I know the alpha will play 28hz easy, and sound well doing it, haven't heard it play any lower as I don't have any music that I know has a tone lower than 28hz

Gold Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Fredericksburg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 1833
okay next ? will it play lower than an AVA than i leave it alone

Gold Member

Post Number: 2204
i have had both the 15 inch ava and the 15 inch alpha ... and theyre arent very much differences as far as dropping down low ...

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 630
ok back to the topic. i just got off the phone with kevin at low hz and he wants $800 shipped for a pair of alphas. i can get a pair BNIB for 500 shipped from a friend at ca.com. i thought kevin was supposed to give good deals? however he did inform me that the sx is now made in china and is inferior to the older model. ne who, should i do the alphas for 500 or the Chinese SX for 445 WHICH WILL SOUND BETTER/LOUDER IN MY BOX????????

Gold Member

Post Number: 2205
bro ... alphas are amazing woofers .. 800 for a pair is a great deal actually ... go with alphas cant go wrong

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 7907
$800 shipped is a good deal on 2 of them....

Platinum Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 13572
alphas. U can upgrade to more power in the future if you want...

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 632
i can get a pair for 500 shipped why would i pay 800. and still are they going to sound better than sx's in my box??????

Gold Member

Team Revolution, Texas

Post Number: 1651
did he quote you $800 for a pair of 12" alphas?

MSRP for a single alpha is $480, so technically, he did cut you a deal

however, if that pair of Alphas is truly BNIB $500 is a killer deal. What is your friend's user name on ca.com?

Mark, no one is gonna know for sure, and that's do to your restrictions, i.e. you are keeping the box you have and the dimensions of that box. I doubt there is a single person that has tried that exact box with either or both pair.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 633
i realize this but im sure someone has had a similar setup. i just dont want to jump on these alphas only to realize i would have been better suited for sx's or even somthing totally different like the q's. i simply want to get the most output i can out of my small ported box so if the sx or alphas wont do this then i will look to other drivers but i was told that the sx would and then i was told that an alpha would murder an sx but then my box was too small and i keep driving in circles. i just need some straight direction.

Gold Member

Team Revolution, Texas

Post Number: 1658
didn't the owner, Steve Miller tell you what would work best with what you have?

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 634
alpha v2. but he dosnt sell sx's sooooo. but if i do get these alphas then the pair is only going to be seeing 1800 rms @ 1.3 ohms since they dont offer a dual 1 or 4 ohm coil.

Gold Member

Team Revolution, Texas

Post Number: 1662
yeah, he doesn't, and yes he has faith in his product, but so do Mike and I, that may be too large for a single alpha, which is what I have and is surprisingly loud for it being a single 12", in addition it may be too small for a pair, but contact Steve and see if he can tool a custom alpha for you to better fit the enclosure you have. A single alpha on 1800wrms would shine!

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 635
but that would cost me more than 500 for a pair.

Gold Member

Team Revolution, Texas

Post Number: 1664
whatever you want bro, it's your money

$500 for a pair is ridiculous when it comes to a killer deal

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 636
yea i know its a crazy good deal but thats not nessicarially what i am looking for. i am looking for the best subs for my box. flat out end of story

i would rather buy a lesser quality sub if it would yeild better results in my box than the alphas, despite my amazing deal.

Gold Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 3178
Mark Scafetta

Which ones can you get for $500 a pair Alpha V1 or Alpha V2?

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 637
v2

Gold Member

Team Revolution, Texas

Post Number: 1670
wow

Gold Member

Post Number: 3179
For a deal like that the box you have is got to go.

Gold Member

Team Revolution, Texas

Post Number: 1675
why not build a new box man?

JW

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 638
cuz its beautiful and has plexi and its built in and sealed off with foam and everything i will have to destroy the box to remove it. and then spend forever cleaning out my trunk and then have to take the time to build a new box. new box is out of question as far as im concerned.

there has to be a driver that can work with my box.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 639
if no one can think of anything that will be louder than the sx's on 2200-2500 rms then im gonna get a pair tommrow.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 643
so alphas wont beat sx's on 2200 rms?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3180
Are you going to invert the RE SX 12's because if not your around 3.46cf?

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 651
i after displacement on the sx's i have 3.7 cubes. I made a model of my box in solid works and i actually have almost 4 cubes. i cant do an inversion because the face of my box is on an angle and the magnets would be higher than the top of my box and not fit under my rear support beam.

Silver Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 187
get the alphas for $500...if you dont like them then sell them for more money!

you either get GREAT subs or a lil more cash in your pocket for something else.

500 for 2 alphas...just cant be beat

Gold Member

Post Number: 3183
Mark Scafetta

What was the box you have built for?

How many cf. is your box without subs?

Who has the RD Alpha V2's for $500 for a pair. I know someone that is thinking of upgrading and for prices like that I don't think he could pass that up.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 655
my box was built for 2 12 inch kappa perfects. it is 4 cubes with out subs but including port displacement it tunes to about 32 hz without subs. the deal for 500 a pair for v2's is a one time deal and i am not going to let it go quite yet. i might buy them and sell them on ebay for like 800. but if i do not take them then i will let you all know and fight for them.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us