Installed Alt and Big 3

Gold Member
Username: Volfenhagking1600

SSD Wangin, Shawano, Wis... USA

Post Number: 1146
Took about 4 hours...lol but whatever it takes to get it done...my lights still dim when i hit the brakes. so i dk...ill get pics 2marrow when its light out

Silver Member
Username: Nickyp0219

Post Number: 311
take pics of where you did big 3, i just need to see it, itll help me for when I do it ..thanks

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 7544
what size alt did you put in and what are you running power wise

Gold Member

Post Number: 1150
200 amp...running a zx750.1.nothin special. Hopefully upgrading to a 2500D and a HDC3 in the near future

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 7545
hmm wouldnt expect you to have light dimming with that alt even at idle

Gold Member

Post Number: 1151
yea...you know what the problem could be? bad grounds somewhere
?

Gold Member
Username: Mixmastaspig

Canada, Canada Canada

Post Number: 1420
I don't think your lights should dim when you hit the brakes with an alt of that size. I have a 200a alt, no big 3, and my lights don't dim and I have a 6,000rms amp and a 400rms 4 channel amp.....I don't have it cranked up to insane levels though, well, sometimes I do then the dimming occurs.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5506
A lot of people don't seem to understand WHY lights dim....... it's often not b/c the alt isn't powerful enough but rather b/c it's regulator is not fast enough to respond to sudden current demands, causing a brief drop to battery voltage. If voltage is dropping lower than that, then you've got problems.

If the regulator is the cause, not much can be done about it. But as long as the alt is keeping the battery charged, you're good.

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1351
Jamie, With an Alt that size, you could get a extra battery in the back. That got rid of my dimming completely.

Gold Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Fredericksburg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 1845
what if you have an external voltage regulator cant you do something about it then..... most sell with an internal alternator correct?

i assume his is internal no mention of an adjustable external

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 5783
basically what sounds like is happening is that when driving your at 14v when you hit the brakes your rpm drop and the alt isnt spinning fast enough so its not producing enough power and your voltage drops down to 12.5v where your battery sits. so like nick v said to add a battery that will not help, because your volate will still drop from 14 to 12 and will dim.

hook up a volt meter or dmm to see what is going on.

Gold Member

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1352
Mat how would it not help?
I've added a battery in 2 cars and also mine that had dimming. Once the battery was put in, no dimming at all and there wasn't much of a voltage drop.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5515
X2 mat dope

Battery capacity is irrelevant here........ the ONLY thing keeping the voltage at 13.8, 14.4, or whatever it happens to be is the alternator (specifically it's regulator). Batteries are ~12.5 volts. The dim in the lights is the drop from 14 to 12 volts.

Gold Member

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1357
Well M.S.,
Please explain how adding a battery in three cars stopped dimming completely and helped voltage drops completely.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5527
You must have had some really big voltage drops (below battery voltage) if more battery capacity created an improvement.

And you must be running a HUGE amplifer(s) if you had that much drop with a good HO alternator.

Gold Member

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1360
I run with a stock alternator for now.
And no, my voltage was staying at 13v without battery at idle with 900rms. After I added the battery, I was 14v+ at idle blaring music with no dimming.

Recently I ran ~1900rms on the same charging. No dimming still and voltage stays at 13.7 idle.

I really need an explanation for this because I want to know what helped this so much lol...

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5547
Ok, this is going to be tough to explain but I'll try. First of all, are those voltages from a dash guage or a DMM?

If those are DMM readings that IDK what to tell ya, other than you really need an HO alt running that much power.

Gold Member

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1362
It was a DMM on the amps.
Yeah, When I put the other amp in (4krms total) I will have an HO alt. It just surprised me that I could get away with 2k lol

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 5791
also, note, cheap dmms can be off and not as sensitive.

nick i honestly dont know how you can keep above battery voltage, especially on a stock alt running that much power. battery capacity dont give you more voltage they simply keep you from dropping below 12.5v so much. the alt is the only thing that gives you voltage above 12.5v

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5551
^^^ X2

IDK either.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1152
even when my system isnt on and i hit the brakes my lights dim...not too bad but noticable

Gold Member

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1363
Maybe it could be efficiency of the amp?
I'm getting a HO alt soon anyway, Going to be running ~4k very soon.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us