Sub problems...

Username: Stevil

Post Number: 1
Hey.. I have a Kicker L5 pushed by a Punch 500. The sub is 2 ohm and is in a 1.75 cf box built to Kicker's specs. It is pretty new and is starting to thud sounding like a 6x9. Does this mean there is a blown voice coil? Burnt tinsel lead? Amp probs? Please help! I miss my BASS....

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

IM THE REAL SLIM SHADY

Post Number: 16682
is the sub dual 2ohm? how do you have it wired? could it be that you sub is wired below the amps ohm load?

Post Number: 2
Yes. Its a dual 2 ohm and is wired as such. Its strange. Sometimes it hits and sometimes it doesn't.
Work okay at low volume but when turned up it takes a crap... I had a L7 before with the same amp and burnt the tinsel lead. I was told it was because the amp didnt provide enough power.

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 5666
you didn't burn the vc cause of underpowering the sub, sounds like you clipped it to death and sounds like you might be doing it to the l5 also. like chad said, how's it wired, and how is the amp set (gain, bass boost, etc.)?

Platinum Member

IM THE REAL SLIM SHADY

Post Number: 16683
if its dual 2ohm then that means its either wired at 4ohms or 1ohm. if it is wired at 1ohm i don't think your amp is 1ohm stable.

Post Number: 3
I mean it hits and doesnt from note to note. I have played with the gain and boost and it even does this when they are zeroed. I am not real knowlegeable when it comes to these things. It is wired for a 2 ohm load according to the manual. It sounds good at low volume, but the more power I put to it the lower (thud) it sounds. Nothing I do seems to help. And sometimes it works fine at any level. I appreciate all the advice.

Post Number: 4
So should I pull it out and rewire it at 4 ohms?

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 5667
what are the specs of that amp?

Post Number: 5
I have no idea... I bought it like 8 years ago... Used.

Platinum Member

IM THE REAL SLIM SHADY

Post Number: 16684
most of the amps that are lower in power are usually 2ohm stable. try it at 4ohm and see how it sounds. it won't get alot of power at 4ohms but you can see if the sub has a problem or not.

Post Number: 6
I will try that. Thanks a mil Chad. I appreciate you guys sharing the knowledge.

Post Number: 7
One more thing, is there any reason why this would happen all of a sudden? It worked fine for a few months and just started doing this like a week ago....

Platinum Member

IM THE REAL SLIM SHADY

Post Number: 16685
oh if that is the case then maybe your sub is bad. or it was able to support the low ohm load for a bit until it couldn't anymore. can't really give you an answer. just theories. lol.

anyways go try it and see how it comes out when you wire the sub at 4ohms.

Post Number: 8
Will do.. Thanks again!! I have been wanting to upgrade anyway and just came up on a lil money so.... Thanks for the help!

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5258
Could also just be the fact that it's an L5...... as we well know the L7s and L5s suck in quality

Gold Member
Username: Basssquared

Kansas

Post Number: 1847
and why do they suck in quality because noobs like this guy purchase them with no real car audio knowledge and clip them to death and then give L5s and L7s a bad rep i had my L7s for a whole year bumping full blast with no problems, my memphis mcd1000 took a crap before they did.

Post Number: 9
I was much happier with the L7. I wired it at 4 ohms and it sounds um.. better. So does that mean the amp is bad...

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5265
Umm, lets see: bad SQ, cracked cones,
solo sag syndrome <---- trademark Canaan :-)

Gold Member
Username: Basssquared

Kansas

Post Number: 1855
lol well i dont really care haha i moved on to my SX's but still i'm just saying for the time that i did have them i never had no problems with them ;)

Post Number: 10
Actually I love these subs... My amp is an OLD RF punch 500a2 and is probably dying or dead...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Okay.. So now I am shopping amps. Any suggestions? I am lookin at the zx750.1. Is this a good choice? I appreciate your input. Thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us