Need help

Bronze Member
Username: Davidt487

Texas

Post Number: 63
all of a sudden my system isn't playing as loud as it once was.
ive checked everything i know to check.

the problem is even if i turn the gain up all the way im only getting 13-14 volts ac.

ive checked the rca cables they seem fine.

getting 14.9 volts dc to the amp.

i think it has something to do with my output from my eclipse cd8445. it has an 8 volt pre out and if i change to the regular rear line out nothing changes.

so im lost any help or ideas would be great?!?!

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 5104
open up your amp, smell it, and yeah check your HU.

OR maybe you're getting deaf quicker than you expected

Silver Member
Username: Sqcheap

Grand rapids, Michigan Usa

Post Number: 109
Check the easy stuff first, like is the fader moved on the HU, then pull one RCA out of amp at a time- does it get quieter? It should. Does the amp's output sound strange, is it distorted at low volume?

Bronze Member

Texas

Post Number: 64
no sounds fine sounds like low wattage.
is there any way to check the rca output with a multimeter?

Silver Member

Post Number: 112
I've checked them with a meter that read AC but it is decimal reading, very small. The voltage they say the HU makes is not what you will find, like a 4v HU does not show 4v, maybe .0XX VAC playing music normal as I recall. I have never tried a sine wave to check one. Do you have another amp you can temp on it? Maybe could be an issue with the RCA shield ground too, but that does not always go direct to ground and may show resistance...but if it does not show ohms at all on amp or RCA to HU that might be a problem. 8v HU output is huge, it should get some volume with the amp gain way down. You did run balance L and R? Depends on how you have it connected but make sure you have not lost one channel to sub if it sums them.

Bronze Member

Texas

Post Number: 65
my cd player is in advanced mode so no balance fade just a nonfade control.

it does get quieter if you pull one rca out.

im lost all i can think of is no preout voltage or bad ground the ground works but maybe its no good enough

Gold Member
Username: Cblaze

Rock island, Tenesssee Us

Post Number: 1277
do u have apioneer headunit?i had one to make noise till i pulled one rca cable out

Bronze Member

Texas

Post Number: 66
no i have a eclipse cd8445

Gold Member
Username: Cblaze

Rock island, Tenesssee Us

Post Number: 1279
oh idk mine did that but it was apioneer

Silver Member

Post Number: 114
If you pull one or other RCA and it goes down then it is getting signal from both. I don't know specific readings with a meter or even what amp you have, I would swap amp and see what it does...but I have extra amps here maybe you don't. Should be able to tell with even a small amp as it should crank to clipping with gain down.

What do you mean by regular line out, can you choose voltage of your RCA?

Also check all the controls on the amp make sure a switch is not bad or something.

Bronze Member

Texas

Post Number: 67
i had a different amp hooked up and same problem. there are 3 pre outs on my radio non fade front and rear

Silver Member

Post Number: 115
Then if it is not some setting in the HU, looks like it has a problem. I'd try to swap HU then before you do anything with it.

Bronze Member

Texas

Post Number: 68
what if i get a line out converter? would that be a option
i dont have a spare radio

Bronze Member

Texas

Post Number: 72
i think it may have something to do with my ground after messing with it today i got more voltage ac by moving my ground. does anyone have a newer chevy pickup or know a good place to ground it?

Username: 98malibu

Bladenboro, Nc North america

Post Number: 1
i need help ok i just bought a kenwood 800 watt amp its a 2 3 and 4 channel bridgeable amp it has a diagram for bridging 1 sub 2 2 channels i done this with 1 12 inch sony xplod 1200 watt sub when i cut on my car my amp light comes on but no sound all the wires are correct i have the remote wire the rca cables and the ground all correct and tight i have an inline fuse on my power cable i took the amps backboard off and everything is all good there i bought it from a retail store that sells used appliances and they assure me it work i know it works the power light comes on could it be in protection mode?any help please

Post Number: 2
my amp light turns on but no sound all wiring is correct maybe i have defective rca's but if its not grounded very well could this be a resort of bad grounding all fuses are fine also kenwood with pink led light

Silver Member

Post Number: 128
David, have to be careful in a truck because cab sits on rubber isolators usually. Ground to frame is best and ensure battery does too, but have to weatherproof connection/bolt as its outside. If you use the cab make sure battery has same size ground in engine compartment to cab, usually have little strap someplace its not big enough or could have corrosion/etc...but not good to depend on that stock little wire. Bad ground will certainly cut the power.

Justin, you can bridge a 4ch to a 2ch but usually not 1ch. You would need a DVC (dual voice coil) sub to run one sub in that case. Maybe you do, I have a P5 sony and it is SVC. If so hook front bridged to one side and back to other, front usually ch 1+2 and rear 3+4. If you hook them together it will protect. No luck then bridge only the front or rear of amp and hook that too it see if it works, or double check your wiring again likely it is protecting. Otherwise just hook 1 of the 4 channels to the sub and see if they work. If not check your input/RCA/etc/other wiring. Then I'd swap the amp out or have it tested if still nothing.

Bronze Member

Texas

Post Number: 85
thanks i really think thats my problem. i ordered a new wiring kit and some extra 0 guage for that reason the only problem is i dont see any were i can ground to the frame in my truck i think i found a way out of the truck but i didnt think that was a good idea.

ps im not real sure which wires to change under the hood

Post Number: 3
thanks im going to get some new rca's and try a new ground if it doesnt work ill get my homeboys amp and put it to my setup to see if his amp works on mine and yes mine is a single voice coil it says on the amp to connect the neg of the right channel and the pos of the left this is when my amp is on 2 channel but im thinking its a rca cable or either a defective amp its not the fuses it must b the rca's ha sto be does anybody know how to reset an amp manually and if so how

Post Number: 4
but lets say it is the ground can a bad ground make me have this problem of the amp being on but no sound?

Silver Member

Post Number: 129
I've never seen an amp that can run 4/3/2 & 1 channel. You may have blown it up if you did that, or it protected. Or it is an amp I have never heard of before. Using a DVC is like two subs in one, so you can use two channels at once....since with a 4ch you can only go down to two it works well. Have to set crossovers/gain the same for all channels on amp. If you only have a single VC sub then you can only run off one side of amp, bridge 2 of the 4 and run sub w/that. Ground will often cut max power or cut out, like to cut out when moisture is high. Put a meter on amp, then compare amp positive to another ground to check the amp ground....under load of course (play a sine and swap ground from amp to another place.

Truck frame, you have to grind a spot clean and bolt the cable to the frame. Then seal it really well, put a grommet through the cab to run wire under cab. If you use the cab there should be a wire from battery to fender or cab, but fender is bolted to cab so not sure how well it grounds. Or there may be a strap on the rear of engine to the cab, as the neg battery goes to engine. I think I would just add a ground to the cab, or just run it to the amp since it is not far but up to you....if you don't want to use frame. They say frame is best way, and have to make sure frame goes direct to battery also.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5352
^^^^ Do what he says, ground to the frame or run a ground wire from the battery.

On vehicles that are not unibody, the body sits on rubber mounts and is grounded with ground straps. Just find where one of those connects to the frame and ground it there.

Post Number: 7
ok i figiered it out my amp is a real hard piece of crap after all it is a kenwood im stickin with jL uhh the amps 2 3and 4 bridgeable amp it is a svc not a dvc so i slapped myself and put them right to left neg n pos on the second channel i think all i know is something is not right with the amp powes on but no sound i think i will just skip thehassle and get a new amp i can get a power accoustics for dirt cheap 60 bux 2000 watts dont know if its worth it but if im not satisfied ill just get a jL and have it installed so its under warranty
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us