To everyone setting gains w/ multimeter:

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana 2 DD3515s, 2...

Post Number: 5769
Ok, I just made some vids about setting gains w/ multimeter based on an amps rated output and the DCR (load) the amp will see.

I used 2ohm on a PG radial 600.1. Set then gains at 60hz to ~34.5v (just under the 'rated' 34.64v). I then addded a load to the amp, 2 RSd12's, and showed that even though the amp will most likely not clip at ~60hz but will at lower freq, such as 40hz.

Vids coming SOON!

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5179
I think you just wanted to play with your new scope :-)

But seriously, may I ask what this is meant to prove? Your load is not constant, since the impedance of a speaker changes with frequency. If you hooked up a high power 2 ohm resistor and set the gain the same way, you would see a totally clean sine wave. This is also why speakers can't be used as a load when benchtesting amplifiers.

Again I'm not wanting to start anything here just wondering why you're doing this.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5772
I'm only doing this to pretty much show what you just said. I have seen quite a few people swear to setting gains w/ a multimeter...saying 'YOUR AMP WILL NOT CLIP' if you do so.

I wanted to show that setting gains w/ multimeter will get you close, but the load will change w/ frequency so it can and will clip at different freq. Mainly at lower freq.

That, and I had some down time to play w/ the scope :-)

Vids uploading now.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5181
Ok I get what you're saying. To have the amp always put out a 100% pure sine wave you would have to use the lowest frequency that would be played when setting the gain, which would be right above the SSF setting.

That said, 50 hz is what most people use. When playing frequencies lower than that, IMO the amplifier would not clip enough to cause damage to the sub(s).

Gold Member
Username: Naledge503

Http://www.LowDownForu...

Post Number: 2580
Thanks Canaan, lets see those vids!

Gold Member

Post Number: 5773
Youtube is doing the review thing right now.
Soon though.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5776

At the end you here me say, "Do not set your gains by multimeter". That was not totally correct. I ment to something to this effect:

Setting your gain w/ a multimeter will get you CLOSE, but your amp will most likely still clip at some freq. You can start off by setting w/ the multimeter, but then listen to some tones and see it you hear clipping at any other freq. If you do, back off on the gain a little."

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 3866
I never use anything but my ears to set gains, ever... Polo.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5192
" To have the amp always put out a 100% pure sine wave you would have to use the lowest frequency that would be played when setting the gain "

WTF. I'm taking that back. It still wouldn't matter. The impedance of the speaker changing is what this is based on.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 5691
you got fun toys.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 7477
I agree you can set your gains with a multimeter and we have seen that below the frequency you set it to it tends to produce more below that frequency and I believe its because your usually setting your amp above your subs port tune and im pretty sure box rise is supposed to be lower closer to port tune with the sub hooked up....so taking that all into account you can eventually set our gain very well and possibly take advantage of this knowledge with car acoustics and port tuning choices ....just a quick thought
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us