Computer PSU Powering Car AMP ????

Username: Dhananjay

Post Number: 1
I have the below mentioned things with me. how do i go about using the computer psu to power up my amp. can somebody please explain in a laymans language because i am not electronics guy.

Speakers 1 pair - 150 watt dtx tower (home speakers )

US audio amp - 700 watt

480 watt PSU.. which i bought for 35 AU $
can somebody explain me how do i go with the wiring...

the back of the amp it has three inputs

GND REM B+ ( i think i have to give power over here ) ???

then there are 2 fuse each of 25A written under it

next there is left + - and right + - and this should be where i connect my speakers wires.. right ... now what should i do to the psu to connect it. The PSU which i have is for ATX and is 480 W.

it had DC output of +12V under which is written 19A and -12V underwhich its written 0.8A.

I Desperately need your help guys....
Please help.....it will be much appriciated...
Thanks a lot

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1434
Well - you have an amplifier capable of drawing 50A or more. Hopefully your home speakers are 8 ohms which will keep the amp's power down so your power supply might have a chance.

B+ is for the main power wire. You need to use 10 ga wire (or larger) for that. Rem is for a trigger wire to turn on the amp. In your case you will probably just need to loop a wire from the B+ terminal to the remote terminal.

GND is ground. I'm not sure what the power supply provides as a ground, but you'll want to use 10ga for that as well.

Username: Dhananjay

Post Number: 2
i tried doing that by looping the yellow wire from B+ to rem and using the black wire as ground... but i am not able to power it up. the psu fan is not moving ... although the psu is new...

Silver Member
Username: Torn

Post Number: 458
I asked this 2 years ago to askexperts.com or something and guy replied with detailed on how to do it. First thing he said i needed was 2x 500 watts computer power supplies, a little costly for me so i never did it. Recently Saw on tiger direct or fry's ad they were selling 500w cooler master power supplies for about 60$ each with 50$ mail in rebate or something.

Silver Member
Username: Torn

Post Number: 459
I think i asked more about it before but couldn't find them, here's one.
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Audio-Systems-835/connectin-car-system-home.htm
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us