Why so expensive... d@mn

Gold Member
Username: Volfenhagking1600

SSD Wangin, Shawano, Wis... USA

Post Number: 1113
i got a quote phillip at highoutputalternator.com. And a 200amp alt from him is $499. But this one from http://www.db-starter-alternator.com/Items/8202-7-200amp?sck=13536221 is supposedly 200amp and its $300 cheaper? <--------is this a sh1tty one?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1114
bump!

Gold Member
Username: Loudon

Post Number: 2174
Ms runs one and he has no problems with it

Gold Member

Post Number: 1115
cool...then im probably gonna buy that one then. The grand am 3.1 is the same as a grand prix 3.1 right???

Silver Member
Username: Zacdavis

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 838
MJ Electric, they rebuild and sell new and used alternators. Their "Iceberg" does 180-200 amps for less than 200 bucks. They're located in Wisconsin to, (milwaukee area)

What kind of car do you have?

BTW, HO alternators will outperform most, worth the extra cash if you have it.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5119
highoputputalternator.com is known for being ridiculously expensive.

DB has prices similar to Iraggi and EA and their alts are a lot better quality...... and I say that first hand as I do run one.

Companies like HO alt or Ohio Gen make good stuff but IMO not worth what they charge.

BTW if you are unsure if that alt will work on your car just email them and ask.

Silver Member
Username: Boomtank

Rochester, NY USA

Post Number: 466
MS how many amps is that db alt providing at idle

800,1200,1600,2000 engine rpms?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5144
DB specifies idle and regular amperage for all of their alternators. Idle is rated at the engines idle RPM, full output is at 1200 RPM.

My alternator from them is 200 amp / 105 amp idle. I put my stock pulley on it so I wouldn't have to change the belt, which subtracts about 10 idle amps. So I'm actually getting 200 amp / ~95 amp idle.

If a company doesn't specify what RPM the ratings are at, it could be as high as 2000.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us