New DMM.

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

ASU

Post Number: 2257
Hey guys im looking to buy a new digital multimeter. Ive never owned one before, ive always just borrowed it from a friend but he lost his last weekend so its time i get one. Which ones do you guys have? and which one would your recommend?

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 3291
Depends on how much you want to spend and what you want out of it. If you want one that is going to last you for years and be dead-on accurate get a Fluke or BK Precision. I have a couple Flukes that have never failed me after thousands of uses. If you want a halfway decent one for cheap get a Craftsman or RadioShack.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 3210
Look for one that has an Amp Clamp that can measure DC Amps. Makes it nice to see what your equipment is pulling.
Expect to pay about 100 for a half decent one.
http://www.multimeterwarehouse.com/clampmeter.htm

The DT6930 is a good choice.
Some do not measure DC amps in the higher ranges, so make to sure to check the specs before you buy.

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 3211
Heres a Fluke at sears for $100, But it doesnt list the dc amp range...And in car audio, thats a set back.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_03481326000P?filter=Price%7C%240-110%5E &vName=Tools&cName=Electrical+Shop&sName=Multi-Meters%2C+Testers+%26+Accessories

Gold Member

ASU

Post Number: 2260
Yeah ill run up to sears tomorrow and see what they have. Ive got a $50 gift card for sears somewhere around here so id be willing to pay the extra 50-75 out of pocket for a solid one.

Thanks guys.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 3293
"Heres a Fluke at sears for $100, But it doesnt list the dc amp range..."

That model will measure DC voltage up to 600V < 40 amps, AC < 400 amps. And don't mistake a Fluke with those lookalike meters... there is no comparison whatsoever. Flukes are built to last.

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 3212
"That model will measure DC voltage up to 600V <40 amps."

40 amps is quite low when most cars have at least a 100 amp alt.
I agree, a fluke is a Pro tool, But for the hobbiest, a Quality meter in the $100 dollar range will surfice. Again, Make sure it can read at least 200 amps dc. I bought mine from Graingers Supply about 5 years ago. Its not a Fluke, but it has what I need, and I use it almost daily at work. The amp clamp is great to diagnose electric moters that are drawing to much current. Ac Compressors, appliance controls, Branch circuits, ect ect. Ya you can spend $600 plus on a quality meter, but thats my feeling on em.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5099
Flukes are great...... my dad has a few of those that are old as hell and still work great. For car audio use though, just look for any "True RMS" meter. It doesn't even have to have that, but it's nice.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 3850
My choice if I could stop buying amps is a Fluke Scopemeter, better save pennies though... :-) Polo.

Gold Member

ASU

Post Number: 2264
Dont those run for like 2-3 grand Polo?

Not exactly what i was looking for, hah.

Gold Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 1586
I have one made by amprobe. It's been through h3ll and back and still works fine... Dont have the model number but its great
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us