What do you all think?

Username: Thezario

Santa Cruz, CA USA

Post Number: 1
K, so I'm out to get a decent sub system for my car and not spend a lot of cash, cause, well, I'm a broke college kid (film student, too...makes it worse). You know, dropping a lot of cash on a sub versus buying beer and funding my film projects at this point in my life...you know how it goes ;-)

I do want something that sounds half decent though. I was thinking about pairing the following:

Profile California CA600 ($104.95 Shipped)

150 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms
225 watts RMS x 2 at 2 ohms
450 watts RMS x 1 bridged output at 4 ohms
4-ohm stable in bridged mode
stereo or bridged mono output
Tri-way capable
variable 40-500 Hz low-pass and high-pass crossovers, 12 dB/octave

Pioneer Premiere TS-W125C 12" ($74 Shipped)
800 Watts Max. Music Power
400 Watts Nominal Power Handling
Sensitivity: 89dB (1W/1m)
Frequency Response: 18 - 2kHz
4-ohm Rated

Yeah, I know the amp is 50 watts over the sub's rating, but it's one of the closest I could find in this price range (right around a hundred bucks). I don't plan on maxing the volume on the sub anyway, but if you think this is a bad idea, let me know.

I listen to a lot of rock, and some rap, and the occassional bit of techno/trance like stuff...so it's pretty random. I figured I use a 1.5 to 1.75 cubic feet sealed box. Pioneer recommends 1.5.

The Premiere model costs 10 bucks more than the standard Pioneer TS-W305C 12", and even though I can't figure out what the difference is (anyone know exactly), I was assuming the Premiere model would be a better idea...usually better quality build/better warranty/etc (or so I hope).

So what do you think? Would it sound decent (I have the rest of my system posted below so you can see what it's working with)? And if anyone has any other suggestions, throw them at me...even though I have a lot of Pioneer I really don't have strong brand loyalties, they just seem to be a good price/quality point for my own needs.

Rest of system, for a Dodge Stealth R/T (2+2 Hatchback)
Kendwood MP3 Deck, don't know the model #
Pioneer TS-A1670R 6-1/2" 3-Way Speakers in Front

Dropping in Soon (suggestions on these welcome too)
Pioneer TS-T15 0.75" Soft Dome Tweeter in Front Dash (~40 Bucks)
Pioneer TS-A6980R 6" x 9" 4-Way Speakers in Rear (~60 bucks)

Thanks a lot everyone. Hopefully I can stick around and become part of this community.

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Post Number: 616
well for starters its not bad...but a little more research you could probably find some better deals

for example, a pair of cerwin vega 12" HED12DVC subs dual 4 ohm, 200w rms each run for about $55 each + shipping

you'll get more bass out of that setup and plus i wouild say and many would agree with me that cerwin vega is a better/more reliable company than pioneer

also, a JBL bp180.2 (~$110) would be a much better choice than that profile amp

Bronze Member
Username: Hiphopanonymous

Post Number: 62
actually, i hooked up my profile 600sx into my brother's car and it bumps pretty loud. i hooked up a 15 to it though. it out bumps my friend who has 2 10's jbl's. it's pretty reliable, but remember, that's only coming from one person.

Username: Thezario

Santa Cruz, CA USA

Post Number: 2
The big thing is that my car has no trunk space at all, so putting double 12's would just kill it all. I know I can cram a Type 3 Qlogic sealed box in there, but a double would just kill it all, so I was looking for single subwoofer setups.

Thanks for the advice though, I'm gonna have to check out that JBL amp.

Silver Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 185
Just some advice i have a profile california AMP in another car. There good but dont expect them to pound real hard. They dont push subs like RF or the others. That 50 extra watts are going to be needed.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us