Placing Amp in Sub Box

Shigi
Unregistered guest
Howdi, I'm in the design stage of my custom subwoofer box. I'm puttin 2 10's in it, and I have 2 amps (one for my speakers, one for my subs). I was planning on mounting my amps on the inside of my sub box so that they are easily accessable and so I can show them off :-) Although my friend told me never to mount your amps in your speaker box because the vibrations will slowly break your amp's internals loose. Now I really can't think of any other place to put my amps in my car, so can anyone give me any input on this. If its a matter of the rigidity of the box, I'm going to be using a combination of 3/4" MDF and Fiberglass, are there any precautions I can take?

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 186
Your friend was right. If you want to show them off, try making a divider between the subs and the amps, then maybe flush mount them behind a panel so all the wires and mounting screws don't show.

Shigi
Unregistered guest
ok, but the box is one big box, so its ok to mount it on the same box, as long as there is a divider of sorts so that its not in the actual subwoofer compartment, and its securily mounted? Would some dynamat or fatmat help too (I'm very conscious of my amp's safety)?

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 203
Another issue is heat needs to be released from the amp. If you divide the subs from the amp, and give the amp airflow, dampening is a must. Dynamat, etc. would help. How were you planning to install the amp?

Shigi
Unregistered guest
Well I have a chevy silverado ext. cab so I was going to make a sub box that would go under the bench seat in the back. I was going to put a 10" under each seat either up or downfiring (haven't decided yet) and partition off an area in the middle to mount my speaker amp and sub amp facing up so if you lift up the seats you can see the amps and either the back or the front of the subs with maybe some fiberglass accents and a nice paint job w/ clearcoat. I was contemplating using plexiglass to showcase off the amps too. I've done alot of fiberglass work in my car and other people's car (I made a custom center console where I have my CD changer and my ipod and custom kick panels for my components) so the sky is the limit.

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 207
That'll work well as long as the amp has airflow to release heat and won't get vibrations from the sub. Sounds nice.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us