Is this system good

Username: Deraticus

Post Number: 1
Hi, I have a 1990 Honda Prelude. Right now I have gotten a Sony Head Unit(about the only good thing they make) and I have 2 12" AudioBahn Flame Series Subs. I plan on putting 2 sets of Infinity Kappa 63.5i's in and I am thinking of getting a Memphis Amp to power my subs. I wanted to get all of ur guy's opinions on what I should do.

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 185
Instead of 4 kappa coaxials, I'd get the Kappa or Kappa Perfect component system and forget rear fill. Push that with a good 75-100W RMS amp and you'll be good to go. What's your budget?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3302
I agree with Jon, then later I'd consider getting some good subs instead of the Audioblahs, and replace that Sony with something that has better SQ and reliability, like an Alpine or Eclipse unit. Maybe even a Clarion Pro Audio source..
any of the three are a good choice

DuBois, PA

Post Number: 2
Yeah my brother is going with components so I think ill go with them. I dont really have a certain budget. Im just getting stuff here and there till I have a really nice system. Glass, What about a JVC head unit? And what do you recommend for subs? I wanna do sound competition with my dad. He has a 1993 Probe but its all custom. If you wanna look it up its 1993 Dearth Probe.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3309
if you want to compete, do you want to go for SPL or SQ?

I'd avoid JVC. they have decent units in the Digifine line, but not that attractive, and they have tuner issues. not great reception, and poor reliability.

DuBois, PA

Post Number: 3
Whats the difference between SPL or SQ? im new to the audio world really. I know things here and there but not alot. im guessing SQ is sound quality?

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 216
SPL is Sound Pressure Level. How loud the system can get. SQ is Sound Quality. What does your dad's system have and how is it installed? I can't find Death Probe anywhere. Does he go for sound quality or SPL? I agree with Glasswolf, Eclipse and Alpine are pretty much the top head units.

DuBois, PA

Post Number: 4
Well for one its Dearth not Death. Well we havent shown in his car in a sound competition yet but when we bought it they said it was made for sound competition. I want SQ but I also want it to be really loud.

annon
Unregistered guest
I have the solution. The perfect blend of SQ and SPL would definitely be the 10/12" Infinity Kappa Perfect DVQ/VQ Serries subwoofers. S3XY woofers! hope this helps...

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 317
I can't find your dad's car anywhere. Maybe you can post the list of components/amps/subs he has. There are better SQ/SPL subs than Kappa Perfects, a lot in the same price range. Look at an ID Max, Adire Audio Brahmas, JL W7, Resonant Engineering X.X.X., there are plenty of posts about good SPL/SQ subs on this forum. Eclipse 8454 head unit. Components look between these:
Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1
Focal Utopia 6.5"
CDT classic 6.5"
DynAudio 6.5"
Rainbow 6.5"
MB Quart 6.5" (Q series)
JL Audio XR series 6.5"
Diamond Audio HEX Series S600
If you're willing to fabricate for a 3-way component system, consider Dynaudio system 360. JL Audio makes good amps, also Zapco, Arc Audio. It depends on your budget. If you're really serious, do like Glasswolf plans to do and add two Audiocontrol EQT equalizers to adjust the system for best performance.

DuBois, PA

Post Number: 5
Well thanx guys for all your help. I really appreciate the fact u took the time to post to help out the noobie. sad thing is my sound system is prolly gonna weigh more than the car itself. I am really looking at doing competitions and maybe ill see some of you while im out.Upload
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us