Yet another amp question

Username: Illmatic_kj

Post Number: 5
ok ... ive posted before and had a question about the way my system is set up.

i have 2-12" infinity 1230w's - rms 300w each, 1200w max.

I have a sony xplod amp XM-D400P5.

now the question i have is..

according to the guy who installed my system, he bridged my amp to the 2 subs.

what exactly does this mean for the power wattage?

According to my specs:

Bridged Power (Watts x Channels): 400 x 1
Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels): 400 x 1
RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels): 200 x 1

Now the thing I wanted to know is, since i have 2 12's how much power is each sub getting? if i have it setup in a bridged way.

I wanted to know because I am wondering if i should up grade my amp to 1600watt max?

How much difference would that upgrade make?

Please help, im a noob heh...

thanks all
KJ

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 151
Max power isn't good at all. It's way overrated and shouldn't even be included in an amp rating, because it's too easy to cheat on. If you decide to upgrade, a JBL 600.1 would be perfect. That Sony amp puts out 400 watts RMS (continuous power, which is what you need to look at) bridged, since you have two subs the power will divide equally between the two and give each 200 watts, out of the 300 they can take. I think a JBL 600.1 would be much better, though. A much higher quality amp.

Username: Zacdavis

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 5
thats good advice, try to always
"match" your rms ratings with all your systems components.

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 155
Just noticed that's a mono amp. You can't bridge a mono amp, you can only run different impedances. Are the subs in parallel, meaning each one is wired to the same terminal? Sounds like your installer fed you a line of bullsh*t or he knows no more than you do. they should be connected in parallel running a 2 ohm load, giving 400W RMS, which is 200 to each sub.

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Post Number: 602
now if you do get the 600.1, it is a mono amp but it has dual terminals to make it easier to wire 2 subs off it, great feature if you ask me...

makes life that much easier

Username: Illmatic_kj

Post Number: 6
so then if i were to switch to the sony amplifier the 1600watt max one, how much difference will i see in the sound quality? HOw much louder will i be able to play the subS?

i kno sony isnt the greatest....but its reasonably priced.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us