Port Frequency Tuning question

Anonymous

ok the manufacturer recommends at MAXIMUM the ported box to be:

Internal Volume - 3.6 cu. ft
Port Dia/Inches - 2 ports, each 4 in dia.
Port Length/Inches - 10.25
(-3dB) 28
Tuning Freq. - 35hz

Now, I've made a box 24"L x 20"W x 17"H, and with speaker displacement and all, the internal volume is 3.33 cu. ft. Just a little less than maximum. I used the ported enclosure calculation thing (#110) on www.bcae1.com.

Anywho, my question is what would be the advantages/disadvantages of lowering the frequency of the ports, to say, 31, or raising them higher than what the manufacturer has. Will it make it seem louder or will I damage my sub? Just want to shed some light on port frequency tuning.

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3287
the tuned frequency is where the box with the sub is most efficient, and therefor loudest.
now if the box is tuned to say 28Hz, that's the peak point. remember you still have roll fof as well, so at 1 octave down, which would be 14Hz, you'll roll off pretty steeply, to about -24dB or more. although at that point your infrasonic filter should be kicking in. Upward, your roll off isn't as sharp. You may want to find software like winISD to chart the response curve of your box and get a feel for it's characteristics based on the enclosure and the sub's specs
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us