Adire Brahma vs. JL Audio W7

Bronze Member
Username: Malby7

Post Number: 24
Both are 10 inch. Which is better and why?

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 149
Neither is really "better" than each other. It's subjective. They're close to equal in SPL for the same power, if you run the subs at 500W continuous, the JL may have a bit more, though. Haven't heard them side by side, so it's hard to tell. The Brahma can take more power, giving it an edge. The Brahmas sound a bit more realistic to me, too. Out of the W7 line, the 13W7 is my favorite, the 10W7 just isn't built to take the power or have the Xmax.

Anonymous

how does a brahma 12 compare to a 12w7?
how about a brahma 15 to a 13w7, or a brahma 15 extreme to a 13w7? :P?? i need to know!! thanx jon

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Post Number: 596
im not sure...

i would have to agree with Jon here, you can put more power on the brahma than the w7 and the brahma does move a little further than the w7 (about 7mm 1 way) but that adds up to about an extra half inch of excursion, which we all know translates to higher SPL..

both are awesome SQ subs too and i would say the 10" brahma is more worth the money than the 10w7

mostly because its only $350 new and can handle so much more power

as far as brahma 15" and 13w7, the 13w7 has higer excursion, but only by 4mm but sacrafices alot of surface area...i dont know, i think it would be pretty darn close - both can handle about the same as far as wattage goes

the brahma extreme 15" would beat a 13w7 for SPL indefinately, for SQ is another thing though..

i think the eclipse titanium pro 18" subwoofer would destroy any combo or pair of all of the above...

1.75" xmax 1 way, handles 3000w rms and nearly 8x the Sd of a 10" w7 or brahma..absolutely insane line of subs those TiPro's

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 160
The Brahma is definately the best bang for the buck sub. The W7's are overpriced in my opinion, especially with subs just as good for half the price. Image Dynamics ID Max are nice, too, don't overlook them as a possibility, also Eclipse Titaniums. What kind of amp are you gonna use? The W7 may do better in a lower power application, but the Brahma will do much better (as far as SPL) with it's full potential. I think the Brahma will have better SPL in any size, really, even the 15 over the 13W7 because of surface area. The Extreme would hit a lot harder than the 13W7, but I agree with Bacon on the SQ. Really, you can get two Brahmas for the price of a W7 and have SPL and SQ, you can't go wrong with them.

Anonymous

what would be a good amp to power a brahma 15 in a ported box in the back of my suv?

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 178
A JBL 1200.1. The Brahma's don't need the maximum power they're rated for, that's just a thermal rating. 1200 watts will drive a Brahma to full excursion.

Anonymous

alright, cool. I remember reading something about the JBL amps not featuring a subsonic filter or something.. which I heard also affects the sound output in a ported box or something. is this an issue, and if so is there something I can do about it?

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 183
They don't, didn't know you ran a ported box. Some preamps have adjustable subsonic filters. Yes, it is an issue in ported boxes because the sub can be driven into overexcursion below the tuning frequency of the box. Sealed box it really isn't a big deal, though.

Anonymous

so should I just slap the brahma in a sealed box? running on a 1200.1, would it be realistically louder than i could ever stand? it will be in the back of an suv. if I spend over a thousand dollars on the sub/amp/box i want to be able to impress some people and turn lots of heads. so say i have my volume at about 1/3rd of the way up with the brahama 15/1200.1/ and the recommened SubZero sealed box... are people gonna know im coming:P? lol.. i just dont want to be disappointed if i spend so much.. thanks :-)

Anonymous

maybe I should spend the extra money and get dual brahama 12s and run them off a 1200.1? how much louder would that be?

Robert J
Unregistered guest
you will only get about 4db more than if you ran a 15, but it's more less up to the sound that you are looking for.

Silver Member

Post Number: 611
i dont know man lol one 15 brahma will produce spl levels in excess of 150 dB and 100+ dB will make you go deaf...just be careful when you're doing this and another thing

decibels are on a log scale, not linear - every +10 decibels is double the audible volume so, 150 dB is actually 32 times louder than 100 dB (if i did my math right?)

lol anyways, just spreading the knowledge...

also, double the power = +3 dB
sealed to ported = +3 db
double Sd (surface area) = +3 dB

one 12" brahma say = 135 dB
2x 12" brahma in same exact application = 138 dB

one 12" brahma with 400 watts say = 125 dB
one 12" brahma same application with 800 w = 128 dB

i would reccomend go sealed with brahmas for daily deliver, for SPL go ported but they will be so damn loud anyways you probably wont notice a big different sealed to ported

Username: Mac1

Post Number: 8
What type of Surround do the JLW6's with dual voice coil have? Rubber surround or Foam surround?

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 191
They have foam surrounds. Anon., a Brahma 15 should be plenty of SPL for you. SUV's tend to be louder than cars with trunks, anyway, and 150 db will probably never be used by you unless you want to be deaf. That loud, a sealed or ported probably won't make too much of a difference to you unless you're wanting to compete, it'll probably drown out your components.

Silver Member

Post Number: 613
exactly what i was saying - thanks jon for simplifying :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us