JL Audio 15w6 Blown?

Bronze Member
Username: Tafkam

Dayton, Oh

Post Number: 40
Hey all, this is a follow up to an earlier post but I did not ask anyone specifically what may be wrong with this sub. I got a used JL Audio 15 incher model 15w6 off of ebay. Looks good, no cosmetic damage that I can see other than the magnet being scratched up on the bottom. I hooked it up in parallel (I have a Memphis 500d amp) and it pounded when turned up, and I could not tell anything was wrong when I was up front) but when I went to the sub itself it was making kind of a rattle noise, almost like a reverb, (I could hear this most clearly in the high parts of a song) but when I pushed in the cone or the spongy part of the surround of the cone, ONLY in the upper left hand side of it, say from 9 o'clock to 12 o'clock) the rattle went away and it sounded fine. I of course did this at low volume. At first I thought maybe I had a screw blocking something or pulling part of it up from the mount to the box, but I unscrewed it and pulled it out slightly so it was not touching the box, and the problem persisted.

So, now for the big question, is the sub "blown" or just slightly fu**cked up? Has anyone had a similar issue? When I got it the person I bought it from had it wired in series and I wired in parallel but I did not think this would make a difference. I put it back on eBay (of course the seller claimed he had tested it and it was fine but when I asked for a refund I stopped hearing from him) and I was honest, I listed it as the way it was acting. I just wanted to see if anyone could tell me for sure if the thing is screwed beyond repair, and if so maybe I will pull the auction as I really am an honest person and don't want to rip anyone off. However, if it is a simple issue then the sub is probably worth some money. BTW Here is the sub auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5702276000&sspagename=STRK%3A MESE%3AIT&rd=1

I am not doing this to advertise but so you can take a look at the pics if necessary. The part about it not fitting in my trunk are true, stupid a** me decided to go with a 15 incher before I measured the trunk to see if an enclosure would fit!!

Any advice would be much appreciated!!!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Hiphopanonymous

Post Number: 60
my friend has a 12w6 and the same exact thing is happening. being that i don't have much time, i never bothered really to help him see what's wrong. but like you said, it pounds when you're sitting in the car cabin, but it sounds like crap when you open the trunk and listen to it. when i have time, i'll check his out as well.

Bronze Member
Username: Tafkam

Dayton, Oh

Post Number: 44
Any info on this would be helpful, hell if it is a trait of the W6 stuff then maybe nothing is wrong with the thing, thanks an let me know please.

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 148
The surround could have possibly separated from the cone in one place (since it only quiets when pushing 9-12 o' clock position).

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Post Number: 599
it may be seperated from the cone itself in that area, check out jonathan's suggestion..

also, it might be lead slap from the tinsel lead - if its not woven into the spider, this can happen and it sounds like something rattling

let me know if either way worked
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us