Polk vs Infinity, for choice of sub.

Unregistered guest
Hello, I just got my first car not to long ago and I want(ed) to 'upgrade' the audio. What is nice about this is that I work at circuit city, so we get special prices on things, for car audio the two brands are some of infinity and polk products. So far I have put in polk db650s in the front, and polk db690s in the back of my 1992 toyota camry. (These: http://www.cincygeeks.com/uploads/strossos/caraudio/whatihave.jpg )
The head unit I got is a alpine cda 9813 ( http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xPF-Alpine_CDA_9813 )

Those thing sound really great for midrange/treble as I hoped they would, but the bass is just not there... maybe because there is no sub? :D

So there is my question, between infinity and polk subs and the like, which would be a better choice of a sub in the 100 dollar range (after my discount) and an amp that would go along nicely with the sub? Right now I'm thinking to go with an infinity amp, because those are the only ones that are cheap enough for me.

From what I have looked at right now, this looks to be pretty good:

Infinity
KAPPA PERFECT10.1D

10" Dual Voice Coil Subwoofer

Power Handling, Peak 1400W
Power Handling, RMS 350W
Sensitivity 94dB (In Car)
Frequency Response (± 1.5dB) 18Hz - 150 Hz
Frequency Response (±3dB) 18Hz - 150Hz
Impedance 2 or 8 Ohms

$73.39

And for amp I have no clue.

Here is the infinity site with all the products: http://cincygeeks.com/uploads/strossos/caraudio/site/

and for polk, its any product they have with 65% discount.

besides these two parts, what else might I need to consider getting?
But thanks for any help you can provide, and if there is anything else you need to see about a certain model or whatever, I'll be glad to provide.

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 138
I like the Kappa Perfects. They're very good for sound quality and have pretty good (medium) SPL. Haven't heard much about the Infinity amps, since they came out not too long ago. For amps, are you limiting it to amps that Circuit City carries, or amps that are anywhere?

Unregistered guest
I would say from polk or infinity as my first choice, but then after that I would like something that circuit city carriers so I can get the employee discount.

So those Kappa Perfects I chose is pretty good then? For that sub, what would be the wattage to provide a good sounding sub? Does it matter if the amp is a "subwoofer amp" or could it just be any amp at all bridged together?

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 139
Yeah, Kappa Perfects are nice. I'd push it with 300-350 RMS to get full potential. It doesn't matter what kind of amp you get as long as it puts out the power, you will want a low pass filter, and the benefit of sub mono amps is that they pull less current and run cooler.

Anonymous

kappa perfect no doubt.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us