Enclosure tuning suggestions

Gold Member
Username: Sinful_systems70

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1014
I am planning to build some enclosures and was curious what you would suggest for the tuning frequency. What would be best for SQ, SQL, SPL?
I am thinking 30-35hz for SQL, 40-60hz for SPL (depending on how much SQ I would be willing to sacrifice for SPL), and 25-29hz for SQ. Let me know what you think. Also, I have heard that the sub will actually peak in output at around 10hz above the enclosures tuning frequency. Is this true? Please let me know your opinions. Thank you in advance!

Silver Member
Username: Philly306

North carolina

Post Number: 691
errrrr
subs?

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1015
Just in general, but JL Audio

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4960
Hmmm, I've never heard a JL tuned lower than low 30s. Would be interesting to see how that turns out. Your SQL tuning looks pretty standard. For SPL obviously you would have to play with the tuning to see what gets you the best numbers in a specific vehicle. And then, how many people are going to want a JL for SPL use?

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1017
This is why I said "in general" because I plan to make more enclosures for many other types of subwoofers just that JL Audio subs is what the customer wanted. Not gong to change their minds either. Just wanted a good tuning # for my enclosures or each type of enclosure (SQ,SQL,SPL) I will make in the future. Thanks for the help so far, but does anyone have a for sure answer to my last question?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4967
The box is usually loudest at ~10 above tuning, yes thats usually true.

For general SPL without knowing the sub / vehicle I'd say 50-70

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 12645
not sure on ur last ? but otherwise for me personally i find that 33-34hz gives the best lows & overally output for SQL....

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1018
I am mainly concerned with SQL for these JL AUDIO systems but would like it to be in between SQL and SQ, but closer to SQL thats why I was thinking 33hz. Does that sound about good? Thank you very much for your help M.S.

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1019
Wow thanks for your additional help Rovin. Didn't see your post while I was writing mine so I figured I would thank you as well.

Gold Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1020
..... and Merry Christmass to EVERYONE!

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 12646
no problemo - IMO for me 33-34hz is like a 'sweet-spot' for sql .....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us