Installation Prices and System Evaluation

Username: Glinkov

Post Number: 8
The system I'm planning on buying for my 2000 accord consists of:
Front-Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 (component set)
Rear-Infinity Kappa 692.5i
Alpine MRV-T320 (2-channel to power the fronts only)
Trunk-Infinity Basslink X(self-powered sub)

Again, I'm not looking for crazy bass just nice clarity. These items, with the amp kit, are costing about $800 on ebay. Now, the installation is the problem. I'm pretty new to the car audio world and don't feel like I have enough experience to venture into a self-installation. Yet, after getting price quotes of $400+(only for installation)from two audio places, I don't know what to do. Does anyone know of a cheap but reliable place (in nassua county, new york) to get an installation? Is the price they gave me a decent one? Should I just go to best buy or pc richards and get it installed there? Are they known for doing good installations? Any and all responses would be greatly appreciated. Also, should I try to install it myself by reading more material or is it better off for me to pay the money and get it installed professionally?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3251
the installation can make or break a system.
prices will be higher if you bring them gear you bought elsewhere. That's normal.
If you don't want to do the install yourself, your best bet is paying for a decent shop to do the work.
People commonly balk at install labor rates, but remember with better shops you're paying for people like myself who have experience and training and know what they're doing.
Plus better shops guarantee their work. If you ever have issues, you take the car back and they'll take care of you.
While I've heard of a few good jobs by places like BB and CC, most of the stories I hear about their installers are outlandish horror stories..
I'd be cautious about going to large chain stores to have a good system installed in a relatively expensive car.

Post Number: 9
Gotcha, so I guess I'll pay the extra and get it installed properly. I just figured a big chain store would have the store's reputation to uphold, so they'd hire qualified employees, but maybe I'm wrong. One question...the guy I spoke to today, who quoted me at $1200, said that he would buy the equipment I listed and install it for that price. Can I trust that he'd buy new stuff? Also, he started telling me that even though the perfect 6.1's have an rms range of 25-100, the amp rms to each speaker should be no more than 50 rms or else it could blow the speaker. Is this a valid claim? Or is he just trying to save himself money by getting me a cheaper amp?

Post Number: 10
How does this sound for my setup... One 5 channel 1,200 watt Boss Mosfet Car amp RT945 New off of ebay. It's 80X4 rms and 150X1. Is that better than an amp for the front speaker and a basslink x? Instead, I could prob get a custom box with a 12inch sub, all for about the same price I originally planned on.

Silver Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 149
Gary, Do not go to best buy or car sterio places that have for example cheap installation prices, there is a place by my area that has $1 install if you buy from them. They do not know what there doing. Pay the money to have the people install it properly. If you pay the extra money and get great people they wont jury-wrig things and stuff, they will make sure its done in a quality fashon. Also, glasswolf mentioned that they will take care of problems to. This is very sure, one thing with car audio is you dont just intall something and have it keep working forever- there is always something going to go wrong or something getting fried or needing adjustments. If you go to somebody who is good they will stand behind there work, if you go to best buy or people like that they will give you excuses and fu*k around with you (because they assume you dont know what there talking about). This is why i do everything myself. But i completely understand that you dont know how to hook it up. Just make sure you get some opinions and find out from people who have been there before. Work closley with the store- the better they know you (like making more than one apperance in the store) the better they will treat you and your system.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Thanks Patrick. I will take your advice and go with a reliable place. Do you think that even though the Infinity kappa 6.1's have a 25-100 rms range, the amp should only give off 50 rms to each speaker? THis is what one of the installers told me. Are they just trying to include a cheaper amp with my package?

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 108
He's probably trying to stick you in some way. Kappa Perfects love 100W RMS. They need it more than their lower level speakers due to the aluminum cone, it brings the midbass out so much better, too. They get LOUD with 100W. Don't get the Boss amp, they're way overrated and unreliable. The Alpine will be good. Like I said, the Infinities love power. A GREAT amp for your stuff would be a JBL GTO 75.4, you can find it online under 300, it's CEA 2006 rated (rating system for amps, assures the output of the amp)at 104x4, you can bridge the rear channel for (CEA rated) 284 RMS. Then you can put a Kappa Perfect 4 ohm sub back there and it'll sound great.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us