Amp for jl12w7

Anonymous

I was wondering if a Volfenhag Zx7180 1600watt amp would be ok to power a 12w7. It sates it has 800w rms. I am afraid the 1600w might be to much though. If you have another amp in mind that would work please let me know. I dont really want to spend 700 on a jl 1000/1.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3260
a 12W7 is 3 ohms.
although I will note, volfenhag is a lousy company.

Bronze Member
Username: Bruhneedluv2

Post Number: 20
The volfenhag amp only has 220w x2 rms @4 ohms, 320w x2 rms @ 2 and 640w x1 rms. volfenhag is a new company. they are not as great as others that are mentioned. but they are okay for me.

Anonymous

What would you reccomend then for a decent amp that is not to expensive. I know the jl 1000/1 is supose to be a good match for the 12w7 but i dont want to spend like 700 for an amp.

Bronze Member
Username: Kkmike

Chicago suburb

Post Number: 17
I had the JL 500/1 with my sealed 12W7 and it wasn't enough - not in my Suburban anyway. I took it back and got the 1000/1 and I'm happy. I have the gain set lower now and I can keep the separate sub control on the HU about 3/4, leaving headroom for those tunes that need a little more. Had I known I was going to end up with the 1000/1 I would have gone ahead and got the 13W7 then......in for a penny, in for a pound. But I'm still extremely happy with the 12.

Mike

Bronze Member
Username: Germanguy

Post Number: 21
Volfenhag, when I hear that stupid name it gives me a shiver......
try to make some bucks with a german sounding name, they should keep playing "castle wolfenstein" instead of pretending beeing some classy amp-company...
if anyone wants good german ingeneering, real high end quality sound amps, go to http://www.audiotec-fischer.com/index2.html
but ok they are not cheap

...but what about some kicker's KX or even hifonics XX amps in your case?
should be a good compromise in value and power

Bronze Member
Username: Cainer

Camberley, Surrey England

Post Number: 88
hey GermanGuy.....
not long now me old china
three lions on his his shirt.

Bronze Member
Username: Germanguy

Post Number: 22
hey lion king !