Blown Subs Possibly? Not quite sure

Username: Schultzy1087

Pewaukee, Wisconsin

Post Number: 1
This is a brutal situation I'm in. I dont know the exact specs for my system, but what happened was that I have 2 Boston Acoustic Subs, powered by a MTX amp. I had only one sub hooked up for about a day, and it sounded great. Then I hooked up the second sub, and the sound quality from both of them was terrible. So I disconnected the second one for the time being, and turned down the power on the amp a little bit, just until I could figure out the right settings. Then for some reason, during part of a pretty loud bass part the sub just stopped working. I didn't get too worried, I just switched it to the other sub.

Just for the record, this is my friend's old system, and he had both subs powered by this amp and they sounded good together, so I might just have to tweak a setting or something.

Then tonight, during the same exact part of the same song, the sub did the same thing again. No sound. I don't think that it is blown because I've listened to more intense bass-filled songs and nothing went wrong, and there is no static. As a matter of fact, there is nothing at all. I switched out the speaker wire going from the amp to the sub, and still nothing, although i did notice some discoloration in the wire in certain areas. The amp powers on fine and everything. Any ideas as to what might be up? Did I seriously just blow 2 brand new subs?

Silver Member
Username: Yukhui

3 15 AA Havocs, Memphis 4kw!!

Post Number: 815
Could be wiring the subs onto the amp wrong and clipping.
Could be clipping the amp because the gain is too high.
Your subs might be a lil smelly, but not quite burned up.
Where is your gain at on your amp? Bassboost? On your HU?
Also, what is your amp supposed to wire to and whats the impediance on your subs?

Pewaukee, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2
Okay, so I just ran down to my car to get the readings off the amp.

Remote Gain - 50%
Gain - 1
Bass Boost - 9db
Sub Sonic - 25Hz
LPF - 120Hz

MTX Amp - 600 watt RMS
Subs are Boston Acoustic GT 10" - specs unknown

Gold Member
Username: Jtown

Team Revolution, Texas

Post Number: 1437
you also need to provide us the range on the settings on the amp...i.e. LPF 20hz-300hz or whatever

right now I can see that you should turn the BB down to zero, your LPF is up to high, it needs to be around 75-80hz.

what are the specs on the amp...i.e. 200wrms x2 @ 2 ohms, 100wrms x2 @ 4 ohms and so on.

by remote gain, do you main the bass knob?

Possible problems:

Bad grounding, remote wire could be grounding out, or any wire at that. Your amp is clipping, your subs are wired incorrectly. the amp is overheating and going into protect...etc.etc...

As colby also asked, what are the settings on the HU as well

Pewaukee, Wisconsin

Post Number: 3
Allright, I'm not sure what I have set on the HU because i play with the settings a lot trying to find a good sound to leave it at, lots of experimenting now.

Okay, so the AMP is working just fine and powering on, I'm just not getting any sound from the speakers. 600wrms x 1 channel.

LPF range is 40-200Hz
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us