Eclipse Stuff

Bronze Member
Username: Zen936

BruneiBrunei Darus...

Post Number: 14
I've noticed how we've had so many different post, each with little info on them. Would it be easier if we are to actually specify what the type of thread is about rather then just post stuff about the things we have? Say like this thread, we could post stuff relating to Eclipse.

Which is precisely what I plan to start! So my first question is, what makes a person such as (Glasswolf) say that Eclipse is better than most other HUs out there (no specific brand mentioned coz this is an Eclipse thread!).

Second, within the next month or so, I'm getting my hands on an Eclipse CD3413. I'm convince enough from what has been mentioned in here that Eclipse would be a good choice. Has anyone used this HU yet?

Hope I won't regret. Cheers people.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3255
I'm not sure what you really want to know.
There are other good units.
The Alpine F#1Status unit is amazing, for purists.. but you're going to pay $3,000 for it, too.

Bronze Member

BruneiBrunei Darus...

Post Number: 16
Well, I mean on a technical point of view, why is it that Eclipse is THE HU to get? We hear a lot about it. Yet, I'd like to know why you'd say it's better than most of the HU out there.

Bronze Member
Username: Germanguy

Post Number: 12
....and why I can't find that brand around europe? do they market under a different brand name over here? can't be that a company that good is totally unknown here.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3269
Fujitsu-Ten owns Eclipse. You could check their website for EU dealers.

Their craftsmanship is outstanding, with very good reliability. The features offered are at least on par with Alpine, which is about as good as it gets in that department, They offer features like the Eclipse Commander for voice recognition, and iSERV for PC integration via memory stick. Eclipse's upper end units offer 8V/16V line-outs.
They were also the first company I'm aware of to offer touch-screen controls for a head unit, as far back as 1991.

Bronze Member
Username: Southahf

Seattle, WA United States

Post Number: 11
Harazen, go listen to any other deck, then compare it to an eclipse...you'll hear why.

Bronze Member

BruneiBrunei Darus...

Post Number: 17
Wish there was independent test made with Eclipse HUs. Simply just listening to other decks might not be enough. First, it's probably just in the mind that, because you've heard people talk about Eclipse that it's good, when you do compare it to other HUs, the other HUs would not 'mentally' sound as good.

It also depends on the CD that you play and the speakers that you play them with. GW have you ever had the chance to actually compare Eclipse with other brands of HUs on an engineer's point of view? Just wondering actually. :-)

I realize people do come in here to find out what's hot and what's not, and so far we've only heard people recommend Eclipse but never why they recommend it.

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 118
They use high quality components. Their sound quality is amazing due to internal components, such as on the high end unit, the 8454, a 24 bit Burr Brown D/A converter. Top that off with a lot of sound shaping devices (equalizers, time alignment, crossovers), then 8V low impedance preouts. Their quality and reliability is awesome, too. I own a shop and have listened to everything, and can tell you the quality of the unit is better than most out there (except for maybe the AlpineF#1 Status, which are thousands). It's just about sound quality, Eclipse has it.

Bronze Member

BruneiBrunei Darus...

Post Number: 18
That's for the higher end Eclipse. What about the midrange series such as the CD3413?

GermanGuy do be careful of shops in Europe who claim they are Eclipse dealers. It's bad enough that the government governs the prices of imports, and some shops actually hike it up just a little bit more.

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 135
The midrange's are still higher quality than others in the price range.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3273
yes. I have compared both alpine and eclipse on the workbench.
the shop where I worked was an auth'ed repair center and sales company for both alpine and eclipse, so I've had quite a few of them on the scope and opened up. I've also been through all of the training by both companies for whatever that was worth. They're still two of my favorites for head units, and have been for over ten years.

Burr-Brown makes some of the best DACs you'll find in the audio biz, hands down, if you can afford them. Yamaha uses them as does Denon in their top of the line home AV receivers, Alpine has used them in their top model CD players from back in the late 80s (CDA-7905) to the current $3,000 top model F#1status CDA-7990. Eclipse uses this same DAC setup in the CD8454 which retails for about $600.
Now while the Eclipse does offer terrific features like the internal crossover and parametric EQ, along with 8V/16V pre-outs, MP3/WMA support, and so forth, keep in mind that both the Eclipse and the top model Alpines are designed to use with amplifiers and good speaker systems, so what you hear in the end is a combination of all of these factors and more. What's more important to consider on a head unit than the DACs, or if its got a 24-bit DAC or not blah blah blah is if the unit has the features you desire, and if its dependable, and if the company stands behind it's product. After all, in a car with 90dB of road noise, you're never going to hear much difference in the DACs with an average person's ears. You will notice however, if the CD player breaks, skips, or fails to offer a feature you want like mp3 support, or CD Text.

seattlejoe
Unregistered guest
I've been trying to find reviews of Eclipse units online and have found nothing ... until I found this site.

My question ... how does the Eclipse CD3414 rate? I'm planning on replacing a 3.5 year old Alpine in-dash 3-CD changer (which has become very problematic ... both the faceplate connection and the indash changer mechanism). I want something affordable yet decent. I also want to get away from removeable faceplates if I can. The guy at Car Toys suggested this one.

JeremyC
Unregistered guest
Hay has anyone had any experience with the eclipse 8533. I am especially interested in the dsp functions. I am overseas serving in the air force and planning to blow every cent I make on my next stereo. The bad thing about this, is I am a very hands on person. In my 12 years of installing, I have never purchased a stereo with out listening and playing with it my self. However this time due to my deployment. I will have to purchase it, and have a local shop install it. So I need you to play around (like I need to ask) and let me know what you think.

FYI rest of system
(going in a 2005 honda accord coupe)

Eclipse ch 3083
audio control dqx
1 JL 12w7
focal utopia 165w
focal 690 cv
2 jl 300/2
1 jl 1000/1

JeremyC
Unregistered guest
seattle joe that car toys doesn't happen to be in TULSA OK?

Username: Graeme_k

Somerville, Victoria Australia

Post Number: 9
GDay GlassWolf
In your NEW HU'S TESTED Thread the Eclipse HU wasn't included, is this because you know it would have won the SQ test over the Alpine CDA-9835 & Pioneer DEH-P8600.
The pioneer also has 24-bit DAC + digital tuner, dont know how it compares in price !

Happy listening buddy
GK
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us