Another low budgeteer...

John Smoltz
Unregistered guest
Hello all,

Ok so I am set with my amp: a RF 501S (for $150 off of ebay) :-). I am planning to run it at its 4 ohms 500 W setting with one sub...

The problem is, what sub? The bigger problem, however, is the money I have to spend on the sub: $150 is the highest I can go. And there is not much I can do about the money part. So based on this what do you guys think would be my best bet for the sub with the biggest bang on this budget ? (geez, alliteration like crazy). Again, I am an avid ebayer/online shopper.

I am putting this combo in my mitsu eclipse, by the way. Something probably less important is what my friends are telling me to get: one says a polk momo MM124 12", another says a volfenhag 12"...

John

Bronze Member
Username: Rswan

Post Number: 67
polk and volfenhag subs like my b@lls. get an oldschool jlw3 or a kicker comp

Bronze Member
Username: Koveaudio

Post Number: 56
get an adire audio shiva, they're 125 and i've heard awesome reviews on them

Bronze Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 80
Yeah, the Shiva is one of your best bets for quality for your dollar.

John Smoltz
Unregistered guest
Ok thanks for the advice on the shiva guys...

Only problem is, is the shiva suitable for my amp? I wanted to run the amp at 500 W at 4 ohms (with the one sub of my choice). It also runs at 250 Wx2 at 2 ohms. I already have the thing and I cant take it back since I purchased it off of ebay. Looking at the Mark IV, if I am not mistaken, it is a DVC with a "Pmax of 650 total for the driver".

If the Mark IV doesnt work, any alternative suggestions?

John Smoltz
Unregistered guest
I apologize for the swarming with questions...

Also, how about the kicker comps swan recommended? Are there any tbat kick / would be a good combo with my amp? Most of them seem to be DVC, and I dont know how to factor that in when trying to determine compatiblity.

John

Derk
Unregistered guest
You can get a Pioneer TS-W2000SPL sub for $120 with shipping on ebay! But you would need a hell of a amp to power it.

John Smoltz
Unregistered guest
Yeah uh I definetly dont want Pioneer...can anyone answer my questions who knows what they are talking about (see above)

Derk
Unregistered guest
Ok, suit yourself.

But, first look at this URL:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/27499.html

I don't know why everyone is so hostile to Pioneer's on this web site but, all my stereo's have at least one Pioneer product and i'm happy. In my bedroom I have two truck rider's (800trx), car cd - 4 midrages - 2 TS-W2000SPL subs, and in my boat cd - 4 midrages.

John Smoltz
Unregistered guest
Derk,

One of the 6.5s in my integra blew within a week of purchase. I didnt amp the speakers, didnt give them too much power or anything of the sort. This is one reason why I dont like them. Another is all the pros on this website who have heard their subs dont recommend them over others

AND I STILL NEED HELP DECIDING ON MY SUB! Is there no one in this forum experienced enough in car audio to help me? Or is it just that my budget is too low for anything decent?

John

Anonymous

its just thet you're a fanny, and no one wants to answer your question. fannyboy.

Bronze Member
Username: Sploosh56

Post Number: 57
Try to find yourself a 15" Kicker Comp Vr for $150 or under. Make sure you get the Dual 2 ohm model.
Adire Shivas are really nice so get that above anything if you can.
Maybe try to find a pair of used JL W3 12" or a single W3 JL 15".
Don't get any of the subs your friends told you to get. They are both a piece.

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 120
The shiva is a dual 8 ohm sub, which means if you wire the coils in parallel, it'll create a 4 ohm load on your amp (The 500W that you wanted.) In short, yes, the shiva will be perfect for your setup.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us