Easiest Install Ever

Gold Member
Username: Basssquared

Kansas

Post Number: 1706
WOW i thought installing my new sound system in my new car was going to be a pain since its an 01 Bonneville supercharged well i thought 01 and up cars are a pain but dayum was i wrong. The best thing i found out about this car is that the battery is located underneath the back seat running my power wire is so fuccking easy and this also means i dont have to fucck up my trunk to get a good ground the battery is close enough so i can use that as a ground. Now i just need to build me my box and i'm set ;)

Gold Member
Username: Loc_out

Santa Ana, Ca Resonant Eng...

Post Number: 1484
Still waiting on pic of the sx? That's good new Rayray

Silver Member
Username: Vtouch06

Q-TowN, PiStoLvAniA

Post Number: 147
good for u, u want a cookie?? in reply to what u said to me in the other thread.

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Resonant Engineering..., Fort Worth... Email

Post Number: 4340
ditto on the pics..

glad you decided not to get |2aped for that $160 you were quoted for the install

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4713
Nice car. Lots of room in that trunk.

Gold Member

Kansas

Post Number: 1707
i'll get pics up later on tonight. Yeah M.S. lots of trunk room but i still want to have some left to lug stuff around.

oh and V.T. i was just playing bud i guess you don't know me that well yet i just found it funny that you were trying to be a dick to him on his spelling when in reality you were the one to ignorant to know that plausible and possible are two different words LMFAO.

Silver Member
Username: Vtouch06

Q-TowN, PiStoLvAniA

Post Number: 149
he used plausible the wrong way in the sentence and plus he spelled it wrong anyways. lol its all good, i dont like fightin with ppl on forums, but just had to say that cuz u said sumin to me.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/plausible

Gold Member
Username: Mygame5982

I Got More Watts Then ..., TEXAS US

Post Number: 2355
lmfao raymond you stupid..
plausible do mean possible!!

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Http://illuzonemu.serv..., ^^^Sick Game

Post Number: 7330
hey homie i think u got it all twisted....

i think its going to be alil harder jaja... why??? because the alternator is located under the hood right???, so the the battery is in the back right???, so then a cable between the alt to the batt, will run trough the car and you will have to do the extremely big 5, by adding another power wire and ground wire from the alternator to the battery in the back, because your gonna have one hell of a voltage drop and crazy clipping.

just to bump you up man.

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 7700
Upload
Upload

Upload

just cause I can

:-)

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana 2 DD3515s, 2...

Post Number: 5719
Easiest install? humm...
Prolly easy, but the easiest vehicle I have ever installed in is a 2001 F150. Thats about as easy a vehicle as you can get!

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4740
Lilrob, I think you're the one whos got it twisted........... homie.

As long as hes running a stock alt, the factory wires are sufficient to handle its output. I laugh when people upgrade their alternator power wire for a stock alt, the factory wires will handle all the current it can produce.

And since hes grounding his amp directly to the battery he doesn't even have to worry about the big 3.

Gold Member
Username: Jtown

Team Revolution, Texas

Post Number: 1366
^x2 Canaan, all it takes is a lil tug, off comes the whole dash, lol, doesn't matter what model really, it was that way in my 01, my step dads 04, and this other guy's 06....

Gold Member

Post Number: 7331
AHAHAHA...

so your 100% sure of what you said in your last post???

manufactures use a proper gauge from the alt to the battery according of how much current the car draws.... if the car draws 80 amps total off the alt and they do think that 4 gauge will cover those 80 amps easy without upgrading to at least 2 gauge wire to get all the current of the stock alt, lets say 120 amps they are going to go with the 4gauge wire (most of the manufacturers use 8-4 gauge the max) just to be more cost efficient.

like i said if im not clear enough the wire that manufacturer use is to cover the current draw of the car, not all the output of the alt.

and i laugh at you for saying those creepy things, im pretty sure u have one hell of a voltage drop in your car.

Gold Member

Kansas

Post Number: 1711
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

my digital camera ran out of batteries so i had to use my cell

Gold Member
Username: Loc_out

Santa Ana, Ca Resonant Eng...

Post Number: 1485
Looks good man. let us know how you like it.

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 7701
Looking good Ray.

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

-apem

Post Number: 16215
nice sub.

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 1027
Nice.

Gold Member

Kansas

Post Number: 1713
lol at Chad changing his name to Slim Shady

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4747
They would have to use a wire big enough to handle the maximum output of the alternator. Not doing so could cause the wire to melt. No manufacturer would do that.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7332
tell me why my stock alt to batt uses 4 gauge wire???? and why does my moms malibu and 04 silverado have the same???

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4751
4 gauge wire handles ~130 amps of current over ~15 ft. More for shorter distances.

Is your stock alt over 130 amps? I doubt it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7334
120 amp alts most of these cars... so they had to put a wire that could cover the basics of the car.. my ford explorer is alil heavy equipped at full power comsumtion it draws alil bit over 100-120 amps when you have all lighting stock stereo and the windows locks, and the electrical system such as the computer defroster climate control etc... the stock alt of my explorer is 130 amps and it has 4 gauge why ford wouldn't use 2 gauge just to get alil less voltage drop when customers upgrade i dont know their sound system liek add an amplifier etc... because cost efficient...

on a a car manufacturer for their production have the option to use 4 or 2 gauge wire sizes.. btu if the 4 gauge is enough they will use the 4 gauge and at the end of their mass production that single cable will be saving the company around 50 grand if the car production is over 100 thousand...

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4753
Yes that is true

But the fact remains that upgrading the alt to battery + and engine to battery - wires will not benefit you with a stock alt. Even with bigger wire more current can't flow through it since the alt can't produce any more.

Now the battery - to chassis wire is another story. It helps to upgrade that one of you have stuff grounded to the frame.

But in Rays case hes grounding to the battery so he doesn't even need that.

Gold Member

Kansas

Post Number: 1721
good new for me i guess :D thanks for clearing that up M.S.

Gold Member
Username: •cam•

BC Canada

Post Number: 1354
Yeah, batteries will produce a scary amount of current, if they're called on to do so.

Gold Member

Kansas

Post Number: 1722
look at that Cam we registered at the same time ;)

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1169
"But the fact remains that upgrading the alt to battery + and engine to battery - wires will not benefit you with a stock alt. Even with bigger wire more current can't flow through it since the alt can't produce any more."

Ok M.S., I need a explanation then.
When I hooked my alt + to my battery +, then did a few test tones, my voltage did not drop near as much and my light also didn't dim as much. You say upgrading that power wire didn't help?

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4764
Details....

how old is the car? in other words how much corrosion was on the terminals before you did that.

stock alt?

did you upgrade any other wires besides alt to + at the same time?

what else did you do the electrical system at that time if anything.

Gold Member

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1171
1. Car is a 2000 Alero. Terminals had absolutely no corrosion to them
2. Stock alt.
3. This wire was the first I upgraded. I wanted to see if it was gonna do any good so before i did everything else I tested it and had a good improvement.
4. Nothing was done

I know you know your sh!t, that's why this has got me confused lol.

Gold Member
Username: •cam•

BC Canada

Post Number: 1365
You'll have less drop with more conductive material. That's what I would accredit it to.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7335
nick v dont even try that dude is not going to learn... he likes to believe in paragraphs not real FACTS.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4766
^^^ True but the old wire *should* have been good enough.

I have seen this once or twice before and I never did figure it out. The only thing I can possibly think of, is if stock wire had become damaged somehow.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4767
^^^ True referring to cams post.

And yeah lilrob I know how to form a paragraph. Unlike some people here.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7336
FACT:

more wire less resistance..... less resistance means more current flow and less voltage loss... easy as that.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4769
And once you have a big enough wire that becomes irrelevant.

You've got a 120 amp alt. And a 4 gauge wire, perfectly capable of carrying 120 amps.

Then you put in a 0 gauge wire. That wire could carry 350 amps, but you alt only produces 120. So your still getting 120.

In both cases, you get the same amount of current. Yes in general bigger wire is better. But the difference between 120 amps through 4 gauge, and 120 amps through 0 gauge, would be negligible.

Gold Member

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1174
My big 3 is all 3/0 wire. All i know is that it made a noticeable difference when i upgraded it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us