RMS fulfillment of various subwoofers

Drexel
I was contemplating purchasing the Visonik dual 12" bandpass box for my recently acquired car since I am a poor, jobless, 16 year old sombich... but this question isn't necessarily specific to my sub selection. Anywho... I was wondering what RMS rated amp I should aim to buy if the bandpass box is rated for a maximum of 600W RMS at 2 ohms? Should I try to get an amp with an output of exactly 600W @ 2 ohms or should I aim a certain percentage higher than the maximum RMS rating of the subs? Is there a formula for this or am I just an idiot. Because I want to get the maximum sound out of my subs without over or underpowering them. If I get a 600W RMS amplifier, does that mean I'll have to run it pretty much on maximum gain and volume to get it to run at 600 watts? And if this is the case, should I get a higher rated amplifier so I can run it at lower gain and power and still pump 600 watts or so to my subs?

sorry if i am a rambling fool. I appreciate any help or advice you all are able to give. -thanks

Anonymous
yeah dude... i was wondring the exact same thing to.

Well.... Good luck finding an amp that puts out 600 RMS and has a decent THD. If you're a "poor sombich" you prolly won't find one. What I'd do - buy a solid amp, something... maybe from soundstream that you know is a good product. Check out the options on the amps, how stable they are down to certain ohm-age. Something with a less than .1% THD (the lower the better). Somethin that puts out even 100-150 RMS will still rock.

JBL 300.1 will do you just fine, pretty cheap amp, and will work great in your situation. if you want a more powerful amp, go with the JBL 600.1, but with this you will have to keep the gains down because it is under rated.

these are the best amps for a "poor sombich" lol. i use them and im a 24 year old electrical engineer. very nice equipment btw, very nice, for great prices.

check out www.etronics.com or look around on ebay for good prices on both of those amps

model is

JBL BP300.1
or
JBL BP600.1

good luck
have fun.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us