Reaching the breaking point

Silver Member
Username: Wylie_coyote

Post Number: 131
i'm sure someone here has got sooooo much sound pressure that they shattered some windows in their cars.

my question is when do you reach this point and how do you protect yourself against and also is it just the windows?? cos i'm sure that when i had my corsa the bass was messing up my exhaust pipe

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 6292
Why would you need to protect yourself? The glass is tempered and coated so it stays together. Even if it does "shatter' tempered glass isn't sharp and won't harm you unless it hit you in the eye or at a high velocity. Windows begin to shatter as the glass has more flex than it can handle. It's the vibrations that messed up your exhaust more than likely. My sliding door handle just came out of hits socket and the only thing holding it in is the linkage, it sucks.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4645
Haha

I had the rod come off of my drivers side door lock......... had to take the door apart and pull the cylinder out to put it back together.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6304
I also shook the tweeter ring off and lost it :-( I think it fell out the door.

Silver Member
Username: Zacdavis

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 748
Haha, you said rod.

Yeah I think it has a lot to do with the frequency.
I've never shattered any windows however I did crack the windshield of a CRX.

It wasn't sound pressure alone that cracked the window. Glass is more flexible than one would expect. If you were to watch in slow motion a large pane of glass on lets say a building's foyer as a door is opened or slammed shut, and there is a change in pressure, you can actually see the glass flex without breaking. In some cases over an inch depending on the size.

Now imagine that happening and pause it in your head as the window is flexed out or in....at this moment there is a tremendous amount of force on the surface area of the window.
Now if you were to walk up to that window that is paused in time, and give it just the slightest tap in the center, it will likely shatter.

This is how I cracked the windshield in my CRX.
As I burped my car the rear view mirror(which is attached to the roof not glass) it vibrated sideways. Under that tremendous force just a slight tap from the edge of the plastic mirror cracked the glass.

I've seen guys hit 169 db without breaking glass but also seen guys break glass at 160.
It's all relative to the note being played and the vehicle's structure.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6310
There's a couple videos on youtube of this guy running 2 18'' TC Sounds LMS subs with some crazy power in his Eclipse and his windshield looks like it moves a good 6 inches. He's supposedly broken 2 windshields with that setup so that's why I think it's flex related but of course the frequency would play a role in it as well because I'm sure puts some crazy vibrations into the glass. A rock cracked my window and the bass has just helped that crack grow to be big,strong and annoying lol.

Gold Member
Username: Drivingreckless

DD 9515f, 148.2 db Mov...

Post Number: 4947
If i ever shattered my windshield i would be happy lol...OVERKILL FTW

Silver Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois United States

Post Number: 577
Is it even possible to crack/shatter side windows in a vehicle? I've never seen one do it, let alone heard of it. But I do like it when i'm talking to some idiot and is talking about how his "friends" system shatters out his side windows.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 7393
well hopefully we wont be posting resuts of that happenng to us because the back passenger side window shakes alot and I think the front passenger side window shakes even more ....were at 148.1 bd on our meter 147.6 db termlab probably and were shootin for 150 db on the termlab

Silver Member
Username: Wylie_coyote

Post Number: 132
Rob my man, i didn't mean how would i protect myself from the breaking glass i was talking about how the hell do you maybe reinforce the windows so it doesn't shatter in the first place

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodia

Post Number: 3550
a rock/bolt hit my windshield. Crack got big across the windshield. The day after I got my new box, the windhshield busted, but stayed intact.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6924
Walye, you leave your sunroof open. If you watched Mythbuster, then you'd know. They tried to break the windows but couldn't cause the moonroof leaked some air pressure. So they concluded that, as long as there are leaks in the car, it's almost impossible to shatter the glass.

FYI, my exhaust pipe broke cause of bass.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us