Ported enclosures

Username: Trunkslayer

Fl US

Post Number: 6
I have two crossfire db312d and I built the ported box recommended by crossfire. Only problem is it is tuned to 31 hz. The speakers are rated to 20 hz, I don't feel comfortable with redesigning a new box from scratch that will accomplish this goal. My goal is 23 hz, if that wont damage it. So the box is 2.3 cuft, it has a 4" diameter and is 12 inches long. according to the the12volt.com port length calculator I either have to go longer or drop the diameter. If I keep the box as is at 2.3 cuft, can I just cut the 4" pipe flush to the box and then make a piece of wood with a two inch by five inch port and just attach it over the old hole and caulk it to hell?

Would that work? I dont have any hang ups with appearance so Does anybody think that this possible, and if not please give me suggestions.

Gold Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 1530
I would keep it tuned to 31hz if thats what crossfire suggests. I'm not an expert but I think it says 20hz as a low end cutoff for your sub. tuning a box to 23hz is way too low for car audio

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4626
31 hz will be good.

28-30 is about the lowest you want to go for car audio.

Fl US

Post Number: 7
I am by no means a car audio expert, so please explain why 28- 30 is most desirable. I was under the impression that Earthquake (magmas) are capable of going down to 11 or 15 I am not sure. Could I reach lower frequencies with a large sealed box?

I know that from the research I did when first deciding on what box to use, that ported go lower and have a +3 db sound when compared to sealed at same wattage. Only problem with ported is that they distort past their tuning frequency. Many songs reach into the 20s. I know that they dont create the most db but the pressure is tremendous. That is why I want to recreate that with the Crossfires.

So please I dont believe in too much info, feel free to drop some knowledge on me. I am very curious.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 11800
11-15hz is right at the human threshold of hearing response. With all the other frequencies playing it's just not practical to tune a box that low. Not to mention the # of songs that even have that frequency in it.

Penny one...

Penny two...

Silver Member
Username: Nickyp0219

Post Number: 241
in other words, just leave it at 31hz

Fl US

Post Number: 8
I think that you are misunderstanding me. I have no intentions of going to 15hz, I just am wondering can I tune it to 25hz. Would the sound quality be compromised? Would it give it a larger field of sound or would it take from its ability to play 60 - 80 hz. Would it blow the speakers because the cubic feet for the box is too much for the frequency. Please understand I am not just asking whether or not I should I am asking many questions because it is something that I have started to think seriously about. And I get the picture about leaving it at 31, crossfire tested it and found that to be optimal. I am just curious as to how much it can be tweaked.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4632
The lower the frequency, the less output you get at that frequency. If crossfire recommends 31 hz for that sub, it's a safe bet that they did so b/c it does not produce decent output below that.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us