Portable Navigation Unit

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 7620
My Dad wants to get my sister one for Christmas. Anyone use one/have one thats good? Budget would probably be about $200-250. Neither of us know much about them so I figured some people on here would.
If you can help us, I would appreciate it.

Thanks Guys.

Silver Member
Username: Philly306

BUILT NOT BOUGHT, North carolina

Post Number: 646
Tom Tom. has the best reviews. very nice unit. easy to use

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 3206
I did over a month of research here and there before I bought my Garmin Nuvi 350. It has been better than even I expected it to be. They are on sale at CC for $299 (from $499). A bit over your budget but it is not worth buying a cheaper one and wishing you would have studied up on the features a little more. Text-to-speech is a must and this unit rocks.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Garmin-nuvi-350-GPS-Receiver-NUVI350C/sem/rpsm/oi d/192788/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Gold Member

San Diego

Post Number: 3207
^^^ Tom Tom do not have the best reviews and to get a comparable model to the Nuvi with text-to-speech will cost way more.

http://reviews.cnet.com/car-gps-navigation/garmin-nuvi-350/4505-3430_7-31518214. html?tag=prod.txt.1

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

-apem

Post Number: 16103
brad i believe that is the same unit james longo has. he has nothing but good to say about it. seeing how you are impressed with it as well, i think i found my portable navi. lol.

does it come with all the stuff necessary to install in the car? like mounts and stuff.

Gold Member
Username: Blainew

Post Number: 2758
GARMIN = BEST

Gold Member

San Diego

Post Number: 3209
Yeah Chad it comes with this disc you attach to your dashboard with double-sided tape and then the suction thing attaches to that. Works perfect. In Cali you can't mount ANYTHING to the windshield anymore. You can get refurbs on eBay for $290 shipped. Refurbed by Garmin and with full warranty. I got mine from this dude:

http://cgi.ebay.com/GARMIN-NUVI-350-AUTO-NAVIGATION-MP3-TRAVEL-GPS-SYSTEM_W0QQit emZ120198086201QQihZ002QQcategoryZ84075QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Gold Member

San Diego

Post Number: 3210
The reason I posted the CC one for yanks is that dads usually frown on refurbs and eBay... but I don't. Mine was like brand new sealed.

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

-apem

Post Number: 16105
thanks brad. ima have to buy one now with my xmas bonus. lol.

Silver Member
Username: Kpa2727

Post Number: 786
i got a nuvi 350 by garmin it's very accurate and has outstanding reviews. i got mine from circuit city on blk friday. it was like just under 300 after taxes. theres one catch to all gps's thier maps arent alwas accurate like my maps are messed up they can't find guitar center or best buy or even the circuit city i bought it from or a damons grill in my town. but it finds the ones a town over just fine. yet the previous maps version finds them fine. it's a bad glitch in garmins new maps but hopefully july when the new ones are released it wil be all fixed. also a few more notes, garmin is known for best tech support, period. tom tom has lots of accuracy vomplaints hell even my god mothers spins in circles and dosen't know it's head from tail. it's a tom tom. my final advice, if anyone buys a garmin, don't register it till the new maps are released and garmin will upgrade you for free when the new maps are updated and you register then. also poi factory . com has a decent data base of stores and so on to add to your unit for free.

Silver Member
Username: Mateo

Post Number: 174
my father as the tomtom GO 970 i think it is, but that was like 700, and i have the go 720, which i love, but again it was 400. tomtom = the way to go :-) you can do updates, and customize it a lot, bluetooth is great while driving, reads texts to you, hands free for talking, it has the traffic update thingy too, overall a good unit, very much worht the money in my opinion. we take it out in the boat too to use in unfamiliar waters to see where we are in realtion, you can also plot fishing spots as points of interests or favorites and change/add pictures for a car symbol....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us