I'm back! With a problem!

Gold Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 1410
I have this distribution block:

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KNF-12

About a month or 2 ago, I started noticing a burning smell when I turned up the volume and was able to trace it to the 4AWG output connectors on the block, they are getting VERY hot. Any idea why this would be happening? Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 6218
Too much resistance or too much power.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6760
Just how much power are you pulling via the D block? For a 4ga to get hot, you must be burning up lot of current. Do you have a partial short somewhere? Check for any loose strands or pos wire touching the car's ground/chassis.

Gold Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 1411
1 amp's max draw is 160A and the other's is 75A. Alternator is only 180A, so i don't think it's supplying everything that everyone needs :-)

I'm not aware of any shorts since everything, except that, appears to be working fine.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4513
The maximum output of the alternator is irrelevant (not a limiting factor of how much current can flow through that wire) since the battery can discharge 500-1500 amps of current for a few seconds, depending on what battery it is.

What gauge of wire is running from battery to D-block? If you've got 2 4 gauge wires coming out, you need to have 0 gauge going in.

Gold Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 1412
00awg is going in and I redid it just to make sure it's solid. Both 4awg going out are in solid.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6763
Use a dmm and recheck all the power wires for partial short. You do know how to set the dmm for that right?
Also, check the wires with volume at zero, then at middle, then at the volume you were listening at. At each level, let it play for at least 5 minutes. If the heat only appears at high level, then you need to either upgrade to 2GA or get a more efficient amp.

Gold Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 1413
No, i don't know how to set the dmm for that. What reading am i looking for in a partially shorted power wire? Could it be something with the dist block? Should I try another?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6765
First disconnect all devices, then using dmm, measure the pos power wire. It should give you whatever the battery voltage is with engine off. If everything looks okay, then set the dmm to continuity testing. If you don't have that, then you can set it to low resistor setting. Now, disconnect the red power wire going into the Dblock. Use the dmm to test the 4GA power wire coming out of the Dblock. If you touch the pos and neg and get a reading, then there's a partial short somewhere. If you get zero, then no short. You have to make sure the power wire from the battery is DISCONNECTED before the above test. If not you will blow the dmm.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us