Ported or Not?

Bronze Member
Username: Comerz

Post Number: 75
I hear a lot of people say Ported is the way to go, and to have it closed sucks. And others say closed is better

Here is a video of a guy with a good setup to get that much bass, but his box is closed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_xu8FrXjY0

So what is truely better?

Bronze Member
Username: Vtouch06

Q-TowN, PA

Post Number: 38
everybody on this forum prefers ported because of the kind of subs they run..i prefer ported myself too..

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 7502
I would put the type r in a ported box personally tuned to around 34hz or so.

Btw, closed is called sealed.

Silver Member
Username: Philly306

BUILT NOT BOUGHT, North carolina

Post Number: 617
it says in the description he has a ported box

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 7503
Also to add on, typically sealed boxes yields better sq and a ported box will be louder. But a well built ported box can sound just as good as a sealed box and be louder.

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Turtles have four legs

Post Number: 3521
the box in that vid is actually ported.

Bronze Member
Username: Vtouch06

Q-TowN, PA

Post Number: 40
"Btw, closed is called sealed." that wus funny yanks fan...but if your lookin for a box dont get a prefab get it custom, preferably by phil @ www.woodlawncabinetry.com <--thats from my personal experience.

Silver Member
Username: Rustysurfer916

Oviedo, FL

Post Number: 433
ported boxes are louder but only when there hitting the notes the box is tuned to. sealed boxes are cleaner and louder throughout a bigger range of frequencys. sealed for me only. had ported and will never port again if im doing my normal daily system. as for spl go ported.

Gold Member
Username: Jtown

Team Revolution, Texas

Post Number: 1059
^ im the opposite, have had sealed, aero ports, flared ports, and I'm stuck on the slot, I think it sounds the best and loudest out of the 4

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2729
1. It depends on the driver in use.

2. Ported has more volume capability with the same driver and amplifier at the tuning frequency where the system resonates. If designed correctly, it can have very good SQ. Taking a look at high-end home speakers, you can see a lot of them are ported designs.

3. Sealed designs have a lower order rolloff, but it starts earlier where bass-reflex designs have a lower rolloff because of the resonator contributing to output. When sealed designs are too small, they have a distorted FR where there's a bump at system resonance (higher Q) and loss of lower frequencies. Some people actually prefer this, though.

In the car environment, sealed is normally the way to go for SQ because of the tuning limitations of a ported design. Some drivers are better with ported designs in a car because they either are low on output already (and so more headroom = less distortion) or their T/S Parameters and design topologies wouldn't lend to good performance with a sealed enclosure.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4474
Ported = more output

not that hard to understand
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us