Subwoofer SQ?

Gold Member
Username: Naledge503

Http://com4.runboard.c...

Post Number: 2352
What is good SQ when we are talking about Subwoofers? Is it how responsive they are?

If you are looking for SQ wouldnt the front stage make more of an importance? What would it sound like if you disconnected all front stage and just played the substage? How would you determine good SQ? Wouldnt the enclosure make much more of a difference than the actual driver?

I've been thinking these things and then I found this. And it makes dang good sense to me.

http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/showthread.php?t=284551&page=1

Thoughts?

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 12569
how many average ppl truly care about subs except that it goes ((((((((BOOM))))))) when they turn up the vol knob .......

Gold Member

Post Number: 2354
Exactly....so what makes a sub have great SQ? Like some will say, sub A has better SQ than sub B. How do you truly define the difference?

Platinum Member

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 12571
well to a audiophile like alot of us on here & other forums who mess with car audio almost daily we can tell how "smooth" a sub reproduces low freqs & how low a certain sub can play (Fs plays a large factor) & be able to tell what a freq a sub is tuned to by just listening to it

but the average person will just go to any local shop & pick out a sub which 'looks good' & while they r at the shop just for ease of convinience pick up a prefab box & drop in it without even setting any amp filters or other settings & their happy with that ...

it all depends on how "in" to car audio a person really is ....

Platinum Member

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 12572
^forgive my spelling errors\grammar for typing too fast -lol .....

Gold Member

Post Number: 2356
I see what you're saying but I'm not talking about how low a sub can go. Or if you somebody has been into car audio for a while or not.

Of course a prefab is gonna sound pretty shitty cause generally they are tuned high and you miss alot of the low end extension. But what happens when you throw that same sub into a custom enclosure? It will have better response and play flatter right?

Say you have Sub A, bought from your local car audio store and it has an Fs of 31. Then you buy Sub B from one of these online dealers and it also has an fs of 31. Now you build them the proper enclosures and tuned at 32 Hz. Are you gonna actually hear the difference in the SQ? Or are you just hearing the difference in the response of the subs?

Silver Member
Username: M0nkeyman692

Post Number: 408
in my opinion sound quality can be hugely different between two subs in the same enclosures and tuned the same.

ive heard subs that get loud but the intended sound is not what it is supposed to be. it may play the right frequency but there is a certain amount of cleanness to how well it does this.

ive heard a good amount of different subs and some hit tones with such ease that it is smooth coming out of the sub while still being loud. it is exactly what the person who made the song intended it to be. while others struggle to hit that frequency and it will not be clean,, you may hear the tinsels slapping the sub, or you may hear that sound of the sub that sounds like theres a piece of paper in it (i cant really explain it) and there are others that all you hear is that clear frequency.

another huge factor is the fs, like rovin said
if a sub is not made to hit a very wide range of frequencies then it may not be considered to have good sq seeing as it is missing notes intended to be played.

thats just my opinion

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Resonant Engineering..., Fort Worth... Email

Post Number: 4221
how smooth the transition is from hz to hz... the ability to play all types of music without distortion and the ability to have nice frequency range without distorting on a higher/lower note

enclosure, design, amplifier, and charging can play a major roll in the SQ of a sub as well as how you have your EQ setup or other settings

also a good SQ sub will not had motor noise.. mechanical noise.. just a smooth note whether it be 30hz or 45hz.. you should hear just that note.. nothing else from the sub..

Silver Member

Post Number: 411
^^ what i was trying to say but his is better said lol

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Resonant Engineering..., Fort Worth... Email

Post Number: 4222
heh.. on another note.. relating SQ from a sub.. lets say its a drum noise.. it should sound like a drum.. not just like bass

realistic yet warm sounds.. imo thats SQ :-) .. if it sounds fake .. bleh

Silver Member

Post Number: 412
^x2

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2726
Trying to explain it...

A good sub is a sub that converts the electrical waveform from the amplifier into sound without distortion or non-linearities in the audio waveform. That includes, but is not limited to, power compression, bad transient response, high group delay, bad phase, and other stuff. Basically, it plays back what was heard in the studio when it was mixed.

To do this, the sub must be able to move within its excursion range without non-linearities caused by voice coil heat, BL nonlinearity, bad damping, and other similar things.

I don't need to get into a big technical explanation, that's good enough.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us