What happens when a HO alt goes bad

Silver Member
Username: Mj23dynasty

Some where 12 wangin o..., The Mighty J... USA

Post Number: 644
I have heard tht if your alt messes up for whatever reason that it can fry the electrical in ur car Ie. Engine cpu other electrical things in ur car. Like what happens if the alternator goes out because I'm going to go with a lesser known company (maniacelectricmotors.com) thts their ebay name too. And if it blows I don't want to destroy my car seeing how I just got tht car.

Silver Member

Post Number: 648
Bump

Silver Member
Username: Jemone

Stone Mountain, Georgia United States

Post Number: 218
When an alt goes bad it just usually stops charging, do to age, overexertion(putting a hi output load on an alt not designed for the task)or, in extreme cases, heat seizure. You should not have any problems with regular use. Use this link to research a little on car audio:http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com

Silver Member

Post Number: 651
Yea I'm asking what happens when it breaks not why though. Like if it breaks is only the alt affected and nothing else is damaged by it or what?

Silver Member
Username: Jemone

Stone Mountain, Georgia United States

Post Number: 220
Usually only the alt breaks. Your car is equipped with a voltage regulator that will protect your other existing electrical components, plus the whole electrical system is fused in the event of current spikes.

Bronze Member
Username: Fred_sanford

Huntsville, Alabama Usa

Post Number: 37
their is one way a alt. can hurt the wiring, cpu ,etc. if the voltage regulator goes bad and sticks open the alt can charge over 20 volts.a stock alt. can do the same thing so I wouldn't worry to much because it doesn't happen very often.about 5 years ago my car did this(stock, no ho alt.,no amps)and fried the cpu , the headlight bulbs the factory radio and the power seat switch! luckily the car was under warranty at the time. does anyone know if ho regulators have a good rep.?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4452
^^^^^^ nailed it

If the alt's voltage regulator breaks, it can overcharge and fry most of the electronics in the car. Like fred said that can happen with any alt stock included. Is it likely to happen, not at all.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us