Opinions on an Alt.

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 7455
Well I've finally got in touch with Iraggi through email. I got prices for alts for my car from 180A-300A. All the prices are do-able for a Christmas present. Question is, in your opinion, how big should I get one? I personally was going to go by the philosophy of get one as big as you can afford to get. I've decided that what I'm going to do is get the alt, whatever size I/we decide on and then go from there with subs and amps an what not later on in life. Right now, I have absolutly zero idea of what I want or how much power I will want to run. I do know that with this system, I will want to start going to competitions and maybe even winning if I'm lucky.
With that said, what would be a good number to go with for the alt? Should I just get the 300A even though I don't know if I'll be using all of it? Or should i get somewthing like 220-240 (thanks Brad and B.E.H)?
If I had to take a guess, again this is just a guess, but I'll be wanting to run around 3500rms-5000rms or so. But that will probably change again within the hour lol.

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

-apem

Post Number: 15958
yanks i don't know if you can handle all that power. lol.

no but seriously before you decide on running alot of power for subs, you gotta take in to a few things in to consideration.

1. your car will rattle like crazy. you will start to get vibration noise from here and there. even after you take out your system, you will noticed your car is a bit beat up. thats one thing i regret about having a big system in my car.

2. you will need to get a nice set of speakers to keep up with all that power.

3. your car will get heavier.

if you decide you don't care about all that stuff then go for it. its just your car is fairly new and having all that will wear out your car faster.

Gold Member

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 7456
Those are all fair points Chad.

Let me ask you a question though Chad, honest question. Was it worth the time and effort and money to build your 2 BTLs and 2 Memphis 4k system? In other words, if you had the chance, would you do it again?

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

-apem

Post Number: 15959
the way i am feeling now is regret. my car isn't the same. but thats cause i got it out of my system so i feel that way.

i just made some points for you to think about. if someone told me those things before i did all that, i still would have done it. lol.

but remember, you are not gonna have it forever. in time you will get sick of it.

Gold Member

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 7457
Alright Chad. I appreciate the concern man. I guess I got some real thinking to do.

Gold Member
Username: Loudon

Post Number: 2059
i run 1500 watts and its plenty loud for me .. a clean 1500 watts and a good 15 is sufficient for most people

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1094
Yanks, get the 240 amp and 2 batteries and run 3500-4k rms. That's what I'll be doing lol. My car does rattle a little bit even with the music off, but it doesn't bother me because I will always have a system louder than the rattle in this car.

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Turtles have four legs

Post Number: 3516
Yeah Chad is right. After running 5-6krms in my car, it also started to fall apart. Door handles breaking off, the connections that open the door inside the door started to fall off. Meaning that I have to take off the panel just to fix it. My atenna became loose. One of my rear doors doesn't even open anymore. I have pannels that rattle more now. My cigaret lighter fell off. But if anything, you'll do fine with a 220-240. There'll be a point where you'll get tired of trying to be louder than others and you'll just want a good daily driver.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4437
Do the low amperage ones have more idle amperage? If so thats important and needs to be considered.

Gold Member

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 7459
MS, im waiting on that email from Iraggi. If the lower amperage ones have higher idle then i know my choice lol.

thanks for your guys input.

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1097
What is Iraggi's email yanks?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6713
Yanks, go with the largest alternator you can afford. Everyone's forgetting that there are other uses for extra power. For example, you can install an inverter, extra bright headlights, portable satellite system, electric winch etc...
It doesn't always have to be audio.
Do not waste your money on extra batteries. If you do the math, it makes no sense. Too many people assume you need 2 or more batteries to get good sound. Not true at all.

Gold Member

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 7460
his email is:
dominick@tds.net

thanks isaac. even more valid points brought up.

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Team Revolution

Post Number: 3087
haha put a winch on your tc lmao.!!!!
but anyway id say go biggest alty you can. and if your running 5k daily you would need extra batteries unles you had 3 300amp altys.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6716
Hunterw, you may laugh now, but if you ever get stuck in mud/snow, electric winch comes in very handy. It can practially lift your whole car out of a hole.
You don't need three 300A alternators for 5000w system cause music is dynamic. Multi batteries are NOT a must, just a luxury.

Gold Member

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 7461
i am aware of the extra batts hunter....this system will probably take like 3 months to buy lol

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Team Revolution

Post Number: 3089
well if your getting 600 amps of current on music, say just on the bass hits it will still be too much current for the battery and alternators and would eventually kill both. but with three 300 amp altys there would be no problems. or two altys and a good back battery. imo with 5k of power batteries are not a luxury they ar a must.

and he drives a scion tc and i found that funny. and i know that winches are a great thing to have. in my line of work i have to chain up everytime i go into the field for work. =\

Gold Member

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 7462
winch on a scion would be funny lol.

Silver Member
Username: Cblaze

Rock island, Tenesssee Us

Post Number: 650
that would be funny^^^....but it is good to have a bigger alt than you need

Gold Member

Post Number: 6719
Hunterw, there's no way you can get 600A of current for 5000w of music cause, music is dynamic. Lot of people make that mistake. The mathematical formula doesn't work with music. It works with long test tones. If you google, you'll get some links on it.
Also look at a battery's spec. A normal battery will be more than enough to supply the power needed for few seconds.
I don't think anyone can handle 5000w of real power daily. The ear drums will either pop or the car will fall appart.

Silver Member
Username: Cblaze

Rock island, Tenesssee Us

Post Number: 655
there ppl running more than 5000 daily,try 17000

Silver Member
Username: Mj23dynasty

Some where 12 wangin o..., The Mighty J... USA

Post Number: 640
Welcome to my world yanks It took me like a month or 2 to get my comps 2 channel amp, sundown saz, kicker wire, woodlawn box, speaker adapters and I still have like a month or two to go so I can buy my HO alt and my dd 2512's and a stinger voltemeter. Sucks don't it and at least you aren't bassless now I am

Gold Member

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 7469
Well Dwight, I've been where your at as well. Try having your system sit in your room from Oct to May. Bought my system in Oct and couldn't get it installed until May due to many things....sh1t sucks

Silver Member

Post Number: 642
Haha and I forgot I have to buy tht power acoustik ptid-5300 headunit too. Haha I've had this stuff sittin around for a while now it does suck but my patience is going 2 pay off bcuz when I'm done I will have the best qaulity and loudest system in my town excluding suv's bcuz their is no comparing sedan bass 2 suv bass lol

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 5478
imo since you're waiting around saving for a ho alt., save for a different hu while you're at it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 643
I kno its power acoustik but I like it and its all the matters 2 me ok.

Silver Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 906
Yanks, do you do a lot of competing?
If not and it's just for daily driving I'd really consider more like a 240-260 because of the higher idling amperage.
For instance, on the 300 idle is more like 120,
on the 240 it's around 160.

Gold Member

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 7471
No competing yet. I would like to start though.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 7302
yanks I can tell you with my bro's suv with a 300 amp irragi alternator at 2600 rms he drops to like 13.1 or 13.3 volts at almost 2000 rpm on a burp with a yellow top optima under the hood and at 3800 rms he drops to like 12.0 to 12.1 volts on the first few burps and 11.8 volts on multiple burps ....so get the 300 amp alt. AT LEAST with your goals

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4454
Agreed with Troy Jones
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us