Need help from you mechanics out there

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

-apem

Post Number: 15872
as some of you may know, i am getting sort of a whine in the morning. it goes away after a few minutes of drving. but its bothering the hell out of me.

anyways this morning i opened the hood and check to see where the sound was coming from. here is a picture to briefly illustrate. now remember there are some stuff missing in the picture but its just to give you an idea.

Upload

the sound seems to be coming from the area of the big wheel. what the hell is that wheel called?

also the belt that goes around the alt and stuff is called the seraphim belt?

Silver Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 871
the flywheel

serpentine belt

im no mechanic

Silver Member
Username: Talon01

12 audioque 2.5 145.2 ..., Pa Usa

Post Number: 482
you have a honda chad, looks and sounds like the power steering pump is getting ready to go

Platinum Member

-apem

Post Number: 15873
okay scott let me ask you this then. i know it whines when i turn the steering wheel but it also whines if i step on the gas. even though i don't turn the steering wheel, it just whines if i step on the gas also. so if the steering pump is going bad will it do that when i step on the gas as well?

also if the steering pump is bad, is that an expensive fix?

Silver Member
Username: Talon01

12 audioque 2.5 145.2 ..., Pa Usa

Post Number: 483
yes and what kind of car, probally not cheap
at my dealership a jeep p/s pump runs 700.00

Silver Member
Username: Tiki89

Post Number: 207
just get a power steering pump from the junkyard or if you dont have the tools to go take one out look for a part store were they sell rebuilt ones so it wont be that expensive. How about a real picture? lol its kinda hard to tell what that big wheel is from that picture you posted.

Silver Member
Username: Cblaze

Rock island, Tenesssee Us

Post Number: 616
i had a problem like that in my old chevy truck,it was a belt whining,a guy i knew sprayed some stuff on it,and it stopped,but if its coming from the place u say it is,i doubt its the belt

Silver Member
Username: Phil_salisbury

Post Number: 430
Ok, since I'm the only old f@rt here, First, before ya go buying a new Power Steering pump or a used one, check the fluid level in the thing first, if the fluid level is low it will make the same sound and just full the pump back up level.

Platinum Member

-apem

Post Number: 15874
i check the level and its full.

Gold Member
Username: Drsmith

Montana USA

Post Number: 2578
same exact thing happened to my old camry, to bad I dont remember what it was hahahahahaha

Silver Member

Post Number: 433
Well, if the pump is on the "outs" don't buying it from car dealers shop, they'll just rip ya off, goto a Pep's, auto zone or whatever and buy a re-conditioned pump, take the pump with ya for the core charge difference.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 5539
looks like the "big wheel" in your drawing is the crank shaft pulley.

their should be another belt attached to the crankshaft pulley for the water pump and power steering.

does it only do it when you start your car in the morning and then turn the wheels?
what about in the afternoon after work?
once you give it a minute does it stop?

also you may want to check that your tensors are working right because on my friends accord he had one go bad and that may be over tightening one of your belts and possibly destroying some bearings.

Platinum Member

-apem

Post Number: 15878
okay this is how it is mat.

when i start the car in the morning, you can already hear some whine. it goes eeeeeeeeeeee. then when i step on the gas, the whine gets louder. also when i turn the steering wheel, it gets louder.

after driving for about a minute, it goes away and my engine is quiet as it was the day i bought it. especially since i just got an oil change, it sounds smooth. it only does it in the morning.

after work when i get in my car and start it, it doesn't do it. just in the morning. its really frustrating. lol.

Gold Member

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 5540
that is werid in the morning is it pretty cold?

Platinum Member

-apem

Post Number: 15880
its not that cold. in the mid 60s maybe. also my car is parked in the garage so its not even that cold.

yeah it is weird. what sux is that once the whine goes away, its impossible to determine whether there is something wrong. lol.

i went to autozone to buy a new belt and they don't carry one for my car. ahhhhhh.

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Resonant Engineering..., Fort Worth... Email

Post Number: 4194
sand the belt down a little bit.. if the whine goes away you need a new belt.. unless its obvious you do

maybe the clutch on your AC compressor has a worn bearing?

Gold Member

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 5543
yeah is your a/c on when you start your car?

Silver Member
Username: Jnoel

AIM= j69noel, KY

Post Number: 619
chad check your power steering fluid...it may of been already posted but i dont really wanna read all of these posts.....it may be the pump or you just may be low on fluid

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 3149
It may just be the Alt charging the battery. If you can put an amp meter on the alt to bat wire, and see if it has a high load demand on starting. Also, bearings are not it, cuase it would do it all the time if it was. Is it a new alt? Also, lube the tensioner pully, but NOT the belt. And if the belt has "shine " on it, then it may be slipping on start up. You could take the belt off, and start it, that will tell you if its in the crank, or alt/pully/pump drives as well. Chance are its just a worn belt. Whats the milage? Has it been changed before. Should do it every 60,000 miles or so.

Silver Member

AIM= j69noel, KY

Post Number: 620
take a pic of your engine chad and draw an arrow to where the sound is coming from in paint program..thanks...sorry about my last post i decided to read and i saw wher eyou said the fluid level was full

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 11394
I haven't read the entire thread so don't throw stones fellas.

My old buick used to make a god awful noise when I first started it and under steering pressure. Turned out my serpentine belt was loose, causing the screech (slipping) under load. As the belt warmed up it went away. Turned out my alt bracket had slacked, causing the slipping belt. Loosened the mounting bolt on the alt, tightened the belt and mounting bolt on the alt and all was good. Can you believe I failed inspection one year because of a loose serpentine belt?

Your sound is a whine and mine was a screech, two different animals. Sorry if it didn't help.

Gold Member
Username: Mike11202

DD9515G VFL 200.1 = : , Sewell, NJ US

Post Number: 1113
Mine used to make that whine out of no where.. Same exact thing your describing and mines a Honda.. i believe you have a pioneer head unit as well, try and re-ground it to see if thats the problem

Thats how mine got fixed.

Platinum Member

-apem

Post Number: 15884
mike its not that kinda whine. its from the engine.

i will replace my serpentine belt asap. i just can't find a place that has it. i found one online and i was going to order it but i have to wait a week. so tomorow i'll ask around.

thanks for the help guys. i won't forget this. i am thinking of a way to repay everyone that posted on this thread.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11397
"thanks for the help guys. i won't forget this. i am thinking of a way to repay everyone that posted on this thread."

RU serious?

Don't you dare..........

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11398
Just don't leave. That's all we ask.

Platinum Member

-apem

Post Number: 15887
here is what i am going to do. as soon as i replace the serpentine belt and it solves the problem, i will be soooo happy that i saved alot of money, i will go get everyone on this thread a $10 gift card from Mc Donald's. lol. i am serious.

any new guys that post after this won't be included.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11400
You're too generous Chad. I hope it does solve your problems.

And give that gift card to someone skinny instead of me, like Paris Hilton or Tyra banks lol......

Platinum Member

-apem

Post Number: 15888
everyone can use mc donald's gift cards. you can buy coffee for a few days. lol.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4371
Chad has got be the most generous person on this forum..........

On another note, McD's double cheeseburger FTW :-)

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Turtles have four legs

Post Number: 3489
I didn't even post in here. I called :P. All good chad. save your money. you treated me to food enough times.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11401
They do have salads also....

I hate salads.

The mc'griddle breakfast sandwiches are the best!!

Who's with me on that???!!!

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 3152
Thats a very nice offer chad. But if Im included, Just make a donation to the Ronald McDonald house (or Other charity of you choosing) for me instead. But thanks for the offer.

And re-reading your post, I found the problem. Your belt is loose.. I high-lighted in red areas of concern...

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4377

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 7387
chad im your boy so ill be expecting my mickie D's card in the mail lol
just kidding dude. hope your car gets fixed all good bud.

Bronze Member
Username: Fred_sanford

Huntsville, Alabama Usa

Post Number: 25
also, hondas use different power steering fluid than every other car.(strange but true)if you replace the belt and still have the problem try adding some LUCAS power steering fix before buying a pump.

Gold Member
Username: •cam•

Post Number: 1241
Damn. Thanks, Marc.

GL, Chad.

Gold Member

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 5546
haha chad no need for a gift :-) when your swapping the belts i would try and lube up the tensors. its kinda werid that it only does it in the morning not in the afternoon or whatever even when the car is cool. and if the belt was slipping i think it would make more of a squeel not a whine but a new belt is a cheap think to try first.

Silver Member
Username: Surferdude9371

Fully loaded 18 BTL

Post Number: 320
try spraying sum belt dressing on it if not replace the belt before anything else that will be the cheapest answer

Silver Member

AIM= j69noel, KY

Post Number: 625
chad will you take a pic of your actual engine and take the pic to paintshop and draw an arrow to exactly where the sound is coming from.....alot of people have different opinions on what your pic illistrautes...thanks bro

Gold Member

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 5547
j noel his pic goes from his alt to two tensors to his crankshaft pulley. it wont be easy for him to get a good pic of the side of his engine because those v6s are turned sideways and their isnt a hole lot of room

Silver Member

Post Number: 438
Chad,

Appreciate the offer, but I have to decline it, however, if you so feel inclined, make it a donation to the DAV ( Disabled American Veterans ).

Platinum Member

-apem

Post Number: 15889
yeah mat is right.

jnoel i will try to get pics but its too dark when i get home from work.

i need to replace the serpentine belt anyways so i will do that and see whats up.

Silver Member

AIM= j69noel, KY

Post Number: 626
sounds good man

Platinum Member

-apem

Post Number: 15890
yea.

i found a place that has a serpentine belt for my car. its a place called napa auto parts. its $45. i think i will go there later and get it.

Silver Member

AIM= j69noel, KY

Post Number: 628
yea napa ftw....

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 6101
I told you to replace that belt ages ago...oh well. I'm glad I didn't post earlier on this lol. Mc'Donalds is the worst food you can eat period. The only thing you can eat is their yogurt ice cream, everything else is loaded with TONS of fat. :-(

Platinum Member

-apem

Post Number: 15894
yeah i know rob. i learned the hard way. hopefully replacing the belt fixes the problem.

also if that does fix the problem, i wouldn't buy you a mc donald's gift card. it was your idea from the beginning so i would get you something ricer.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 7272
Paul Larrea ..."The mc'griddle breakfast sandwiches are the best!!"

I believe I read they have 30 grams of fat per mc griddle...horrible for you but they do taste good

Platinum Member

-apem

Post Number: 15897
once in awhile don't hurt sean. :-)

do not eat the angus burger though. its nasty.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7273
Thats burger king and I think my bro didnt like it either....my grandpa grows angus meat and his are very good

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 6105
Chad knowing that you appreciate the help is all I need. Taking freebies all the time is not my style, use the 10 bucks to get yourself silent murder points :-)

Platinum Member

-apem

Post Number: 15899
its mc donald's around here sean.

yeah the angus burgers at a nice restraunt is very good. just not mc donald's.

also rob np man. it ain't about the freebies. lol. you my boi so i like to take care. anyways hopefully its just the belt. i am hoping right now.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7274
hmm maybe they do sell them at our mc d's I havent been there in a while....thanks for the heads up though

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11408
Mc'griddles.....mmmmmmmmmm

Yes they are bad for you. Mickey D's puts alot of addicting ingredients in their food. Obviously the tactic works. I can still remember when they had only served millions and had to change the sign almost daily.

If you stay away the urge will fade, eventually.

Upload

Gold Member

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 5557
hahahahah paul that is damn funny.

i havnt eating mcdonalds in a good 3 years, well i have had an apple pie probably 2 times since then.

Platinum Member

-apem

Post Number: 15911
okay guys. during work i drove to napa auto parts and bought the serpentine belt. then after work i installed it.

before i was hearing some squeaking noise. now no more. so that is settled. lets just hope tomorow morning i don't hearing any whine. lol.

also is it in my head or does the head light seem brighter after i installed the new belt. maybe the older belt wasn't turning the alt efficiently?

who knows. probably in my head. the car seem to perform better too btw.

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 3153
Probably slipping on the Alt pully. When you start your car, the alt tries to recharge the battery, so it causes strain on the belts.
Glad you got it sorted out.

Platinum Member

-apem

Post Number: 15912
thanks marc. but its not all sorted out yet. the big test is tomorow morning. mornings were when the whine was severe.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11412
Yo Chad, go jump in your car and buy us all some mc'griddle sandwiches.....lol.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11413
Damn I'm getting hungry.

Bronze Member
Username: Khae

Post Number: 82
hey maybe its all the stero equip u got in there!!! give them to me n itll make it wayyy better n the noise will stop!! hahahah jp! nah like he said ur belt is prolly loose as looose as a gooose hahaha nah doe for reals check it

Silver Member
Username: Philly306

BUILT NOT BOUGHT, North carolina

Post Number: 591
ok now say that in english so we all can understand it

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11416

Silver Member
Username: Sinful_systems70

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 973
The picture doesn't really help unless you can tell us what the "big wheel" is, but it could be many things and would have to see it to diagnose the problem. Where are you located?

Platinum Member

-apem

Post Number: 15915
i am in los angeles.

the squeaking part is fixed so buying the new belt wasn't a waste. lets just hope it fixes the whine.

Gold Member

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 5562
sinful sys. the big wheel is the crankshaft pulley, it couldnt be many things because chad has all of the things running off that belt in that picture and the only thing it could be is the crankshaft pulley because the belt has to turn.

Silver Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 974
It could have been many things, trust me. He was lucky it was only the belt slipping on the crank pully and not something more serious. I have been working on cars for a quite some time an I have seen many reasons for a squeak on the front of the engine. There could have been something rubbing on the pully or the harmonic dampner that the pulley is attatched to. The seal on the timing cover could tave been rubbing on the the crank creating the noise. It could have been a bent pully or sticky pully. (example: I had a alternator freeze up and the pully wouldn't spin putting extra load on the belt, so the crank pully would slip while the belt is struggling to rotate. I could go on for a while but I don't feel like typing anymore.... I simply had no idea what the wheel in his picture was because every car is different and has more or less pullys/pumps/air conditioning/power steering/air pumps/ etc. Also, I havent seen an engine whith the crank higher than everything else so the picture confused me more than it helped. It must have to be rotated for it to be correct.

"Do not speak of what you do not know!" I just try and help and right away I am attacked, Well my time is worth $60 per hour and I am on here for free to try and help so some respect would not be out of line.. JMO

Silver Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 975
Whoops, spelled "Damper" wrong....added an "n" on accident ... Sorry!

Silver Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 976
It could have also been something internal like a main or rod bearing issue...If the "big wheel" is the crank.... There are way too many things it could have been to list, thats why I simply said I would have to hear the specific noise and specifically where it was coming from,(not from a elementary drawing with little/incomplete info) and diagnose it from there... I am just trying to help and would like to appologize for my attitude before.. I try to do the best I can from where I am standing and I just want to inform the uninformed to make it easier for everyone. Once again I would like to appologize for my attitude and I am sorry if I offended anyone.

Gold Member

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 5563
sorry sinful i wasnt trying to call you out at all. and i am speaking of what i know even though im not a certified car mechanic i am for marine and have worked on many cars.

yeah the picture is crappy but i just put two and two together, something has to turn the alt and the crank pulley is bigger then the alt pulley so...yeah. anyway i also think its weird that it was coming from the crank but i dont think it really was coming from their theres to many other things in that area that are more prone to failure.

Platinum Member

-apem

Post Number: 15917
here is a better pic. lol.

sometimes the squeaking came from around the alt and sometimes by the big wheel. its gone now. thank god.

Upload

Silver Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 978
Thats all that matters...

Silver Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 979
Um chad, the flywheel is on the rear of the engine, but it is attatched to the other end of the crank so you can call that circle the crank pully..... I'm going to guess the rest.....

Upload

Silver Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 980
See now Mat Dope, you put "two and two together" and got three..... because the "big wheel" wasn't even the crankshaft pully..... don't you know the routine to an experiment,

Gather information, then hypothesize... JMO

Silver Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 981
What type of vehicle is it Chad????? Year, Make, Model, Engine size?????????????

Silver Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 982
Mat Dope said "his pic goes from his alt to two tensors to his crankshaft pulley"

Wrong again, why would there be two tensioners (not "tensors", which is an arithmatic term) when only one is needed. If there were two then I doubt the belt is or would be slipping and squeaking. Just want to clear that up so people aren't confused.

Silver Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 983
Upload

The crank might be slightly lower as well.

Silver Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 984
That might be moved over too far but I basically think it will to the right of your design a bit.

Silver Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 985
"sinful sys. the big wheel is the crankshaft pulley, it couldnt be many things because chad has all of the things running off that belt in that picture and the only thing it could be is the crankshaft pulley because the belt has to turn."

HUH??? Sentence was all over and made no sense, How does any of this quote explain how that "big wheel" is the crank pully or how it couldn't be many things that causes a squeaking noise?????....More like the belt is running all the things in that picture. The only thing that drives the belt is the crank, the only thing!!!!!!!

-----------------------------------------

I liked this one too.. "it couldnt be many things because chad has all of the things running off that belt in that picture"

1.) contradictory -explanation- "it couldn't be many things" but yet "because chad has ALL of the things" - Doesn't MANY things + ALL of the things = MANY possibilities
2.)Thank you Captain Obvious -explanation- "chad has all of the things running off that belt in that picture" Kind of self explanitory/ Extremely obvious, I think my wife who has absolutely 0 knowlegde about cars and she could have told me that, prob a 5th grader as well. Same with this statement.."because the belt has to turn"

Lesson to learn here, Don't GRILL someone if you don't want them to grill you!

Silver Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 986
Here is a vid of me rotating a crank 1 1/2 rotations for an ebay member who asked if the crank rotated in this 22 year old Perkins 4 cyl short block that is brand new in crate until we opened it after sitting in our wharehouse for over 20 years. We have two more to get rid of so watch for them on ebay. Most likely with no reserve. This vid was under a co-workers youtube accout because its the same account name for the ebay aution this short block was in. There will be vids under my account soon and some more on his account.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5BjB4Gzl58

Silver Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 987
Bellhousing end of block is facing the camera (rear of engine where flywheel, clutch/torque converter(depening on automatic or manual), and thansmission/gearbox bolts) and the short block is hanging from the fork truck to show how little effort it took to rotate this 20 year old rotating assembly.... as well as easy access to the rear of the crank where the bolts are for the hammer to use as somewhat of a lever and great view of the demonstration.. Enjoy

Silver Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 988
Chad Lee said..."also is it in my head or does the head light seem brighter after i installed the new belt. maybe the older belt wasn't turning the alt efficiently?"

No it is not just in your head, the new belt grips the pulleys better as well as the new belt hasen't been stretched out from use (which belts do, as well as dry-rot, crack, & get stiff) so it will add efficiency to powersteering, water pump/cooling, as well as the alternator and air conditioning. I bet when you turn the wheel it won't squeal/squeal-louder. Thats because you powerstearing pump rpm is back up to spec. I suggest the "gatorback" belts. They last the longest and perform the best. JMO

Silver Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 989
Marc said..."Probably slipping on the Alt pully. When you start your car, the alt tries to recharge the battery, so it causes strain on the belts."

Now "Probably slipping on the Alt pully." is 100% correct (besides the spelling "pulley")
but
"When you start your car, the alt tries to recharge the battery, so it causes strain on the belts."

-- not necessarily, before you start the car none of the pulleys are in motion so when you start the car, the initial jolt of the crank pulley starting to spin is faster than the old belt could grab and speed up the other pulleys causing rubber on metal to slip creating a squealing sound. At the time of startup, the crank pulley could spin inside the belt struggling for grip as well.

Just want to make it all as clear as possible to anyone who has this problem so they can fix without delay.

Silver Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 990
It's no problem Marc because I misspelled it a few times too but I also spelled it right in the same post....LL How does that happen? Well, I guess thats what happens when you try to type fast.

Silver Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 991
"its a place called napa auto parts."
"yea napa ftw...."

X2

NAPA stocks the stainless steel exhauset clamps I like to use. They are the best, the exhaust clamps & NAPA

Silver Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 992
CORRECTION:

"Mat Dope said "his pic goes from his alt to two tensors to his crankshaft pulley"

Wrong again, why would there be two tensioners (not "tensors", which is an arithmatic term) when only one is needed. If there were two then I doubt the belt is or would be slipping and squeaking. Just want to clear that up so people aren't confused."

would like to add that there is a possibility for three pulleys that are not driving something and they are called: Roller tensioner, a Dynamic tensioner roller, Stabiliser roller. Haven't seen this much but I have before and I had slipped my mind for a bit. Sorry for my mistake, I was wrong, but they are both not tensioners im sure, Thats all I am saying.

Silver Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 993
Upload

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11420
16 consecutive posts. Wow. You really like helping dude. Props for that.

MUST be a record lol.

Silver Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 995
I try, Thans for noticing!!!!!

Platinum Member

-apem

Post Number: 15918
thanks sinful. very informative. you really know your stuff. so does the rest of you btw.

my car is a 2005 honda accord coupe ex v6 manual transmission.

Silver Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1000
Thanks Chad, I just want to help. Thanks for noticing!

Gold Member

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 5566
wow sinful im not going to bother with much of a reply. even though you took some of my posts the wrong way. yeah i thought chads original drawing didnt make much sense, but i dont think he would have only drawn part of it in like he did so that threw me off.

Platinum Member

-apem

Post Number: 15919
np.

ITS GONE. THE GOD DAMN WHINE IS GONE. I LOVE IT!!!!!!

everyone that helped me on this thread pm me your address. i will drop a gift card in the mail for you around or after christmas time.

Gold Member

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 5567
by the way chad, i thought you replaced this belt like a couple months ago? because didnt you have some problem then?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6702
Sinful, what did you do now? Did your gf/wife lock you out? 3am and you're here writing?

Platinum Member

-apem

Post Number: 15920
no mat. i got lazy and i still didn't replace it til yesterday. lol.

i am just so happy now.

the bass hits harder, the headlights are brighter, and the car responds faster. i am loving this. i think i will get a new belt every 6 months.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us