3/4 mdf or more on front of enclosure

Silver Member
Username: Nickyp0219

Post Number: 170
does putting a thicker piece of mdf on the front portion of the enclosure make for a sturdier box?

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

Gunshine , State Flawda

Post Number: 2825
yes. good option is to just double layer3/4 inch since its relatively cheap. just glue the two pieces together

Silver Member

Post Number: 171
is that what you guys do on your enclosures?

Silver Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 690
yes people do do that
also internal bracing helps make the box sturdier

Silver Member

Post Number: 172
what do you mean by internal bracing

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 6077
He means using wood to brace the inside of the box.

Silver Member

Post Number: 174
like using an x pattern along the sides of the box? what thickness mdf would i use for that? thanks guys

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 6081
Use your judgement. Place bracing wherever you think the enclosure will flex. Some guys use wood dowels to do it, some guys use 1x4s, some use 2x4s.People use whatever will work. If you're really have trouble with simple things maybe it would be a better idea to have someone else build the box for you instead of attempting to do it yourself.

Silver Member

Post Number: 175
I wouldn't mind having someone build one for me, except I don't want to pay an arm and a leg. If someone is near me, I live in agawam, ma, such as connecticut, let me know so we could work something out.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4322
" yes. good option is to just double layer3/4 inch since its relatively cheap. just glue the two pieces together "

Yep. Its called double baffle

Silver Member
Username: Mj23dynasty

Some where 12 wangin o..., The Mighty J... USA

Post Number: 495
yea to get an idea of what internal bracing is go take a look at the the (Dwight-Satisfied Customer) thread and look at the window pane style brace woodlawn uses tht is an example of internal brace.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 12547
IMO with subs 1000wrms or less u really dont need to double baffle ....still i good idea to brace internally where necessary depending on the shape of the box...

Silver Member
Username: Phil_salisbury

Post Number: 415
IMO, doubling up on a front baffle is waste if the enclosure is a daily "listener" box. Bracing can do the job just fine to minimize any " flex " issue without adding an azz load of weight to the enclosure.

However, doubling baffling is more a personal preference rather than a necessity.

Silver Member

Post Number: 177
well if i wanted to build a 1.5-1.7ft^3 box with a re sx 12 in it, i wouldn't need a double baffle?

Silver Member

Post Number: 416
He!! No, not for a RE SX 12, just add bracing where it needs it, double baffle for that a complete waste of time and material.

Silver Member
Username: Talon01

12 audioque 2.5 145.2 ..., Pa Usa

Post Number: 473
^^^^ i agree

Silver Member
Username: Jtown

ATX, Texas

Post Number: 899
I put traingular shaped pieces of mdf in the corners for a bit of bracing as well as some acoustic value...

build your own, it's a good learning exp, and if you're not satisfied you can just be mad at yourself not someone else that did a crappy job.

although Woodlawn and Fisher Customs do great work for a reasonable price.

Silver Member

Post Number: 178
alright thanks guys, i think im going to try and build my own, im gonna have some free time over the winter, so why not right. you guys have any pics of some good bracing i could use

Silver Member

Post Number: 180
woodlawn, how much would you charge for such a project? 1.7ft^3 slot ported box tuned to 33-35hz shipping to 01001

Silver Member

Post Number: 417
Nicky,

I had a suspicion that was you that e-mail me for a quote and I replied back that for the dimensions stated there wasn't enough volume to RE's recommended spec's for the SX 12 ported.

I also said as well that you would have to increase the dimensions in order to achieve the required spec's.

Maximum Dimensions W x H x D - 18" x 14" x 16" just ain't going to cut it, not with the small amount of port area at 1000 watts.

Ya gotta come up with more room for the enclosure size, unless you say that all there is and I do the best I can with that as long as you understand there's going to be some port noise or the net volume drops to maintain port area at a reasonable size.

Or

Bag the SX 12 and go with something that going to work with what ya got because I'm not going to build an enclosure and get my azz ripped after the fact.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4330
Box built to spec makes much more difference than sub choice. Choose a sub that will work with the space you have available.

Silver Member

Post Number: 182
Yea i understand, the largest I would really wanna go would be w x h x d - 21" x 14-15" x 17" somethin like that. would that be sufficient? Im trying to keep the box short enough so that the hatch cover can lower properly without laying on the box, had that problem with my old 15".

Silver Member

Post Number: 183
Well actually could you give me some minimum requirements, like different measurements that would work without being too tall, nothing higher than 15", that would meet re's specs

Silver Member

Post Number: 423
Nicky,

Well, what could always be done is at the point where the top of the box would hit the underside of the hatch is angle the top of the box down so the hatch won't hit it.

That's a easiest simple solution to that problem, all i would need to know is what the angle is or what I could do is angle the front baffle as the shortest top depth of 16-17 inches and the bottom depth is whatever to make up for the volume requirements.

Here's what I'm going to do:

Use the max dims ( 21" w x 14.5" h x 16.5" d )

The 16.5" is will be the top dimension.

The bottom dimensions will be whatever it has to be to meet the requirements.

Is this cool with you?????

Silver Member

Post Number: 184
I think im going to try and create my own custom design, if I run into problems in the future, ill get back to you woodlawn.. thanks for everything
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us