2 subs vs 1 sub

Silver Member
Username: Tips

Post Number: 189
in general, why would anyone want to use 1 sub over 2 subs?

for example, why use 1 alpine type x (1000rms) over 2 alpine type r's (500x2rms)

or 1 aq hd12 (1000rms) or 2 aq sd2.5 (500rms)

Would set up would move more air, 1 sub, or 2 subs? better sq? (assuming optimal installs with the same 1200rms mono amp)

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

ASU

Post Number: 2117
space is a major factor in choosing one over two.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 5509
cost
space
not everyone wants spl or needs a very loud install. plus who said one sub doesnt get loud:-)

Silver Member
Username: Jnoel

AIM= j69noel, KY

Post Number: 589
i only ran one sub......it was VERY loud..mabey i should mention it was a dd9918.....

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

Gunshine , State Flawda

Post Number: 2811
u dont need to mention its a fvuckin 9918 cuz every1 knows already. damn

Silver Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 843
There are lots of reasons to use one sub instead of 2. Space was mentioned, cost is lower, but room to upgrade is also there. If you have room for 4 12s, but you get 2 good 12s instead, you might've been louder with 4 cheaper subs, but now you can put 4 of the better subs in when you get more money. lots of reasons.

Gold Member
Username: •cam•

Post Number: 1193
Yeah, that's my plan. A pair of Elite 12s, then another pair when I get more space, just run the amp at 1 ohm instead of 2.

Silver Member

Post Number: 844
I actually had (like your example) 2 type-rs sealed in the trunk of a mustang on 1krms. I put the same power on a single type-x ported and gained quite a bit of output. Really nice looking sub too imo.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4270
I'm running 1 DD9515 for now, just b/c I got a good deal on the sub

Silver Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois United States

Post Number: 480
Troy, how did the sq from the type x being ported compare to the type r's sealed? (what was the X tuned to?)

Silver Member
Username: Tips

Post Number: 190
and wouldnt you get more output switching to a ported from a sealed anyways? maybe that was what caused the difference, not the subs themselves.

so basically, getting one good 1000rms sub, will be better quality then 2 500rms subs? i don't really care about spl, i want sq...(one type x will sound better than 2 type r's?)

Silver Member

Post Number: 848
I prefered the type-x in every way. It was tuned to 32hz. The box for 1 ported was smaller than the 2 sealed, and it had a much nicer, deeper sound. It still sounded articulate, but really had a lot more down low. I had the X in both ported and sealed, and I really liked ported much much better. That was my point tips, to why some people may choose 1 sub- Although it doesn't mean 1 more powerful sub will be better than two meant for less power in any way. It just worked out that way for me.

Now it's going in the wifes car when I get around to building her a nice box :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us