OT...Photography

Silver Member
Username: Press1

Yuba City, CA USA

Post Number: 311
Quick question for anyone in the know...my kid wants a tripod for Christmas that costs over $100. I've seen tripods from $20 to $350.

What makes a good tripod and do I need to spend that much on three sticks for a camera to get a good one?

Silver Member
Username: Jtown

ATX, Texas

Post Number: 889
depends on size and quality really. they make tripods that are anywhere from 3"-3ft and prob more....

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6683
Look up the word tripod in the dictionary. It doesn't have anything to do with taking great pictures. That's the photographer's and camera's job. The only thing a tripod is suppose to do is hold the camera still.
You can get good tripods for around $50. I've seen those that costs over $350. If you look at the features, it'll say the tripod can hold 40 lbs - 80 lbs camera. How many cameras do you own that weighs that much?
You might want to convince your kid that, it's better to invest money on something else.

Silver Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 679
but we all know that good quality does not come cheap
i look at like this...if i were really passionate about photography, i could justify spending 350 on a tripod. i think it is better to get something of good quality to begin with than to spend money on something that you dont really like as much just because it is cheaper.

Silver Member
Username: Jtown

ATX, Texas

Post Number: 890
yeah but what Isaac said is true, those really expensive ones are meant to hold video camera type cameras, not a 35mm, or even and SLR, which top out at maybe 10lbs

Silver Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 680
ha, im not saying to get the 350 dollar one
im just saying that if it were my kid, i would buy him the one that he wants, but im a pushover like that
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us