Computer ?uestion

Platinum Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 13248
Ok..so my dad calls me and tells me that his computer has stopped working, I ask him whats going on, he tells me he cant get online...So i drive 25mins to my parents house....

Here is what i discover....None of his optical drives are showing up??? None of the internal devices are showing up(sound card, ethernet card, etc)..And windows will not allow me to use his firewall protection??? Any ideas what could be wrong??

I was going to reinstall windows, but no way since the computer will not recognize any disks or external devices....???

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, Bangn aint easy ....when u g...

Post Number: 3931
Check in BIOS if it recognizes the devices, if it does then reinstall will fix it, if not you prolly have a bad motherboard

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, Bangn aint easy ....when u g...

Post Number: 3932
aim - d92stealth easier if u got a question

Silver Member
Username: Santa_fe

02 Hyundia Santa Fe, 120.3 db not...

Post Number: 349
yes killa is correct, your mobo could cause this if it went bad......but its strange because usually when this happens it also affects the hard drive...this could be a ram issue as well....start testing varialbles........
aim-surferinmichigan

Platinum Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 13258
i checked the BIOS and nothing??

Silver Member
Username: Luisdelbronx

Bronx, NY USA

Post Number: 213
Maybe a power surge killed the controllers on his mobo if they're not showing up on the bios..i've seen it happen before...i had to basically build a client a brand new dell because a power surge killed their ram, video card, mobo, hdd, cd rom drives, everything except the psu ironically. Make sure ur dad has a good quality surge protector so it wont happen again if thats what it is.

Platinum Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 13263
The ram is still reading the same?? He has the same surge protectors I use at work..There really good...

Im just really lost...because I hooked up my flash drive to the usb and it came up...but i hooked up my external dvdrw and nothing?? Same port and everything

Silver Member
Username: Kpa2727

Post Number: 754
i dealt with this a few diff times, i'll be damned if i know what causes it but only way i got around it was to use floppy drive and old school F DISK method. it's possible maybe the littile battery onthe mobo is bad anmd actin up or his power supply is goin. ether way try kickin it to safe mode or something in that range and f disk the biotch. if u f disk it windows should be able to install fine. if not theres a good chance u need to create a disk utility on the flash drive to get it back in order. it could be a virus or update that got really screwed up and cause stuff to go out but unlkely. i say it's the bios battery actin up.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6686
"i checked the BIOS and nothing??"

You need to elaborate further. What did you check in the BIOS setup? Does it list everything in the computer? Is the network card built in on the motherboard or is it an external card? Did you open the case and see if the cables are all plugged in properly? Did you try safe booting? Under the device manager, do you see question marks on any of the devices?
If you're seeing the internal hard drive, then have you tried connecting the cd/dvd drive on the same cable? You will need to configure it as slave.

Platinum Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 13271
external network card...Tried safe booting and same problem, all cables are plugged in properly,

BUT...I do see exclamation points next to my external devices when i plug them in when i go to the device manager..

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4369
It could very well have a bad motherboard. But I would first suspect a virus, as most issues are software related not hardware.

Some sort of virus could have f*cked up window's driver database, and other system files. I would try to install windows over itself, without a reformat. If that doesn't work, back up data, reformat, and reinstall. If still nothing, you know it's hardware, probably motherboard.

P.S. Im a CS major and you can PM me about computer issues if you want.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4370
Forgot to say, when you atttempt to reinstall, boot to the windows CD, don't boot windows from the hard drive.

Platinum Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 13273
u got aim???

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4372
yea

frequenhertz

But I'm not on right now cause I'm at work