Ground problem.... I think

Gold Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 1488
It's been a while since I've been on but I have a problem. I installed an amp and subs using a LOC on a 2007 Cobalt and everything works fine EXCEPT I get a low, loud rumble at random times when the subs aren't supposed to be playing even when the car is off. I put a switch on the remote wire and when the switch is off, I get no rumble but when I switch it on it slowly builds until its really loud. I've grounded it in multiple places, including the battery but it still does it. Any suggestions on how to fix it.

Gold Member

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 1489
bump

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6680
Isolate the problem by disconnecting all cables to the amp.
With just the amp and sub wires connected, see if you get any noise. If it doesn't, then hook up a portable cd player to the amp's input and test it.
If that's still clean, then connect the rca from hu. If the problem starts, then you have a ground/hu problem.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 5992
"If that's still clean, then connect the rca from hu. If the problem starts, then you have a ground/hu problem."

He's using a line out converter lol...hooking up the RCA cables to the head unit wouldn't work out that well.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6681
Oh yea, I was on my lunch break.
Still test it with a cd player. At least you'll know if the amp's good or not.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 5993
Hahaha,this thread made me laugh :-)

Gold Member

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 1490
we tried that. It does it with the right RCA plugged in but when the left one is plugged in we get no music or anything.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana 2 DD3515s, 2...

Post Number: 5592
Sounds to me like you wired the LOC wrong.
Check and make sure it setup right...some LOC's need to be grounded.

Also, if i'm reading what you are saying correctly...you may be getting a feed-back from the speakers in line w/ the LOC.

Your amp gets alil ground noise and that makes the sub(s) humm alil...that in turn makes the speakers in line w/ the LOC move alil. If there is no or little sound going to those speakers, they will create a signal back thru the speaker wire and into the LOC. As the sub(s) play from this little feedback they get louder and compounds the movement of the speakers inline w/ the LOC. They move more, create more signal...the humm/rumble gets louder and louder.

(Think bout is like a mic too close to a PA speaker, you get feedback)

LOC's can be a headache from time to time.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us