OT: DSL problems. Please Help!!

Silver Member
Username: Mark872

2 Type X 12s, Hughes S..., Texas

Post Number: 156
If anyone heres good with computers could you please help me out. my dsl used to work great..then it started to just drop on me all the time. somedays it would stay on all day, but the next day it would go out every minute or so. it wasnt that big of a deal while i was on the internet cuz it would only go out for a second then i could just reload the page and it would work.but play xbox live is a b1tch. cuz it kick me out of a game everytime it dropped out. but then it just quit on me. the dsl wouldnt come one for 2 days. i then ran my phone cable from the modem straight to the box outside that said dsl..and it started workin again..but still drops alot. ive called my IP a hundred times and they run they same test and say it seems to be workin fine..and refuse to come out here and look at it. a got really rude with them so i doubt they wanna even talk to me now. ive called for months and still wont come out. can anyone tell me if there somethin i could do?

Silver Member
Username: Dsmith07

NC Http://com4....

Post Number: 750
switch companys

Silver Member

Post Number: 157
windstreem is the only company that we have around here.

Silver Member

Post Number: 158
windstream*

Bronze Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI United States

Post Number: 44
yeah my dsl used to do that to. so then we just switched to roadrunner. but roadrunner would sometimes do the same thing because the cable running to the modem was way to long and it wasnt giving it a strong enough signal.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6679
When a call/connection gets dropped, it's usually caused by noise/dirty line. Do you have anything that's analog attached to the phone jacks without filters?
It could also be a faulty modem. Do you have friends that you can borrow? It doesn't matter what the brand/company is. They all dial out using id & pass.
As long as you're paying, they must provide support.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 7219
x2^^^ concerning the line noise or faulty modem

Silver Member

Post Number: 159
my phone cable goes straight to from the modem to the dsl box outside now..it seems like there must have been some fault in a line inside the house cuz it works now that im runnin it straight to the dsl box..but it still drops. the first time i called they said they switched companies or somthin and brought out a new modem..and it still did the same thing..so i wouldnt think it the moedm

Gold Member

Post Number: 7224
if it still drops then you still have a problem...and it just hit me...... check your ethernet cable that could be going bad swap it with a new one if you have one....or you could have the problem i fixed on my parents computer a bad ethernet card.....your problem sounds similar to thiers

Silver Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois United States

Post Number: 469
What do you mean dsl box outside? Do any light on the modem turn off when your dsl stops?

Silver Member

Post Number: 160
the phone box out side of the house...i guess thats what its called..thers a little box that the dsl and phone line run to. and thers a test line for each one. i plugged the modem straight to the test line and it started workin again. but keeeps goin out. and the dsl light is the only light the goes off..the power and ethernet button stay on.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7237
did you swap ethernet cables and it could still be the ethernet card I think (not sure) but the thing that was happening with my parents pc I think is the ethernet card would get hot and shut down....I timed it and sure enough it happened around the same length of time plus the webpage surfing speed would get slow before cutting off

Silver Member

Post Number: 163
i switched ethernet cables...same thing. Nothins gettin hot or anything. cuz some days(rarely) it will stay on all day...but sometimes it will just start goin out soon as i get on in the mornin..the other only thing i can think is that the cable goin from the modem to the wall that we use is too long and maybe cheap, its like 25ft long i think..but ive replaced it before with a regular telephone cable(not sure if its the same as the dsl line) which is 6ft long and still same thing happend.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7242
wow im not sure whats going on

Gold Member

Post Number: 7243
yes your phone cable is the same as theirs

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 6030
How do you have your computer and Xbox connected to the modem? Are you using a wireless router?

Silver Member

Post Number: 164
i was wondering though...the phone cables have only 2 small wires that are red and green...and the dsl cable has a black red green and yellow wire..would that make a difference??

Gold Member

Post Number: 7247
it didnt for me...but like Rob said are you using a wireless router?.... if so you may need to upgrade your firmware....my bros router kept dropping till we did that

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 3785
You need to set your router and or modem! If you are using there dial-up program that initiates the connection then you need to do away with it. I have AT&T had it since it was Ameritech.net and still have the same e-mail addy, lOl. They tried there damdest to get me to use there software but it actually has a built in timer to drop/refresh the IP which is aggravating. I got rid of the software, used a wireless router to dial and maintain the connection, only drops when they are in maintenance mode doing work on the line, maybe once a month. I now have a new modem that dials itself in and keeps the connection. If you have either one you need to go in and change the values they are designed to drop/refresh and you need to change the settings. Polo...

Silver Member

Post Number: 165
i have have the xbox hooked up through a wireless router. but even when i hook up the comp or xbox straight to the modem it will do the same. And polo im not sure what your talkin about with there dial-up program..but like i said it it worked great for about 3 months then all of a sudden started to do it. and i havnt change any settin that has to do with the interenet or modem or anything. It started droppin out maybe like 3 or 4 times a day..now its days every minute or 2.

Silver Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois United States

Post Number: 471
Im not familiar with this whole phone box thing. My dsl modem plugs right into my wall through my phone line.

Are you reffering to an ethernet cable as your dsl cable? They are much bigger with fatter clips on the ends than standard phone lines.

Can you take a picture of your phone box, wires, and modem/router and post them up?

Silver Member

Post Number: 166
i dnt have a camera to take pics with...and my phone wont take pics any more(dam LG). And its not the ethernet cable. I know what they look like and how all that works. But i got a new shorter wire, still drops on me all the time..but another thing i found out today. I hardly ever use the house phone cuz i just use my cell. but i used it today and the line was real static. my mom said it does that alot..but not allt the time. kinda like how the dsl drops allot, but not all the time. so im thinkin maybe its jsut some line issue outside the house?? most of the people around here have windstream so i know its not just the service.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7252
line noise bingo....thats your problem get the phone company out to fix it.......since you went right out to the phone box its not something you did wrong its their issue so you wont be billed for it

Silver Member

Post Number: 167
Alrighty...im bout to call em up again and tell them bout the phone doin that and see if theyll get someone out here...thanks alot for the help everyone!

Gold Member

Post Number: 7253
yw
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us