Sonance vs Fi

Bronze Member
Username: Durski

Post Number: 64
I had my heart set on a Fi.Q 15", but then LowHz told me about the tinsil problems that Fi has been having, and recommended a Sonance 15" instead.

LowHz has yet to tell me which model sonance 15" and amplifier he is willing to sell me for $600, I have asked numerous times which leads me to believe he just wants to sell what ever he can make more money with.

Then today I see a post about a BTL 18" with tinsil lead problems.
The Fi.Q seems like a higher quality product than anything Sonance has to offer, what do you guys think?

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

You can call me Scroog...

Post Number: 3172
hmm glad to see low hz has kept up it's reputation for bashing other companies...

Q will be louder than a sonance and sound just as nice...

i wont say it's higher quality, but i think the tinsel problems have been solved on the Fi products. I would personally go with a Q over a sonance...

Gold Member
Username: Snarl2004

Audioque 12 SD2.5s, Earthquake P...

Post Number: 1898
i think the Q is a higher quality product. Not too many people have the tinsil slap problem nd if you do it can be fixed with some felt and it will be good as new. I would personaly do the fi.q just my 2 cents

Silver Member
Username: Teamrevolution

ATLANTA, GA USA

Post Number: 136
I have no idea about the other product but we have Sonance @ super deals this month and we also have 15" elites around 250.00 and they handle 1000 RMS. On the Sonance in the 15" we have paper cone with 12 spoke or poly mica with the claw looking basket. I think with the promotions runnig this month you could get a 15" sonance for around 220.00 from our dealers.

Silver Member
Username: Northomaha

Post Number: 620
The Q is an awesome product, ive installed a couple and they are awesome. Ive never heard the sonaces but Ive seen and installed sever Fi subs and have had no problems with any of them

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

Do Work Fi Audio

Post Number: 1947
i've never had a single problem to date w. my sub and i run it off 1500wrms

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
Thanks for the input guys. Hey Steve, can you email me about the 2008 elite specials you have posted in another thread?
1000watthps@gmail.com

Silver Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 661
oh wait oh wait
get a mag

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4168
I have no experience with RD subs, but I would be very hesitant with Fi after all the tinsel lead problem which I am still seeing happen.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 67
Mag? Got a Link? I'm looking for 1 bada$$ 15" SQ sub, 200$ - 300$.

M.S.: You always seem to know a lot about what you're talking about, what would you suggest?

BTW thinking about running this off a KX1200.1

Gold Member
Username: Loudon

Post Number: 2029
i had a q ... off a kx1200.1 ... wasnt my cup of tea.. sounded great .. if thats what ur going for then ur looking the in the right place hands down

rd subs are built very well, i run an alpha now ... it sounds just as good imo .. with a substanial incline in spl

Silver Member
Username: Denim

Www.TeamSSAudio.com, MD

Post Number: 501
The mass majority of lead problems on Fi drivers that I have seen / read about, is the effect of the user over exerting the driver below tuning or gain adjustment error or some other user error.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 69
" wasnt my cup of tea.. sounded great .. "
what do you mean? Sounds like you're contradicting yourself.

Gold Member
Username: Naledge503

Http://com4.runboard.c...

Post Number: 2246
He's saying that they sounded great but werent what he was looking for in a system.

fwiw, I love my Q's and have never had a problem with them.

Silver Member
Username: Jtown

ATX, Texas

Post Number: 821
I had an SSD for about a day and started having problems with it, I did not overexert it or anything, it just stopped producing any sound what so ever. So I had Fi build me a brand new one, and never used it, just sold it. The reason is by the time I got it, I had already been running a 12" Alpha v1 and was already in love with it.
RD products are built very well, and like Mike said, the Alpha has amazing SQL, it is the best sub I have ever run,heard, and owned.

Just me two pennies, I would go with RD.

Silver Member

ATX, Texas

Post Number: 822
and btw, its an RD Sonance, sonance is not the brand, if you haven't figured that out already.

Steve Miller is the owner of RD, he will work with you on anything, great CS IMO!

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4169
For a good SQ sub I would recommend:

Soundsplinter RL-p

Stereo Integrity MAG (over your budget though)

and although I don't know anyone running them I hear the SSA Icon is also good.

I'm actually myself trying to decide which of those subs to run in my next system.

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 7155
i agree with MS above me

also, i have owned an SSD fr about 7 months now and beat on it daily...no tinsel slap

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 3139
SoundSplinter RL-S > All.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 11234
***Patiently waiting for the new Mag***

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Team Revolution

Post Number: 2949
its gonna be a great woofer paul.

***impatiently waiting for my hw v.2 and 05 xxx 12*** will both be here tomorrow if dhl and fedex dont delay my dreams any longer lol

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11235
"***impatiently waiting for my hw v.2 and 05 xxx 12*** will both be here tomorrow if dhl and fedex dont delay my dreams any longer lol"

It'll come. I have 20 little fuggers coming tomorrow. Should turn me some nice extra Xmas jingle.

Gold Member

Team Revolution

Post Number: 2950
haha those eqhs? thats cool man. what you gonna do with them?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11236
Sell them, blow them up, who knows? Lol.

Naw I'll push them at my local farmer's mart. I'll get $20/pc easy.

I'll keep a few just for haha's.

Gold Member

Team Revolution

Post Number: 2953
haha. you should buils a huge tline box or a abc box for it and make it loud lol. or a snailshell box lol. thatd be cool

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11237
I'd feel weird spending so much time designing/building an enclosure for a $5 sub.

Yet I've done crazier things lol.

Silver Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 829
I would go with the Q. Low-Hz has a reputation for putting down other products to make a sale (kind of like the slick car dealer you know to stay away from).
The Q is a solid product, and would be my first choice. Great SQ with decent SPL.

Silver Member

ATX, Texas

Post Number: 845
I haven't personally exp the Kevin these guys are talking about, but just because they feel his character isn't quite up to par, doesn't mean that RD isn't a great/solid product either. IMO you can't go wrong with RD, I love my alpha, if you are interested, keep in touch with Steve, great guy and he will work with you to get a great deal on some subs as well as a design for your enclosure if need be..

BTW, hey troy, I sent you an email, are you still interested in that Zapco? the other guy kinda backed out.

Gold Member

Team Revolution

Post Number: 2962
haha. i think it would be cool though paul. i think sean(insearchofbass) needs one he loves soind those tye of box builds. wonder where he has been lately.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11240
He's here. Good source.

Silver Member

Post Number: 663
in your price range, i would go with the soundsplinter rl-p
http://www.soundsplinter.com/rlp12_subwoofer_information.html

Gold Member

Post Number: 3177
i'd honestly go with some SI BMs... heard a lot of good about them, not to mention you can still buy from ya boy kevin

Gold Member
Username: 04redmach1

Columbus, GA USA

Post Number: 1451
Reece and Troy, I would like you guys to know that true information is not a bash but being informed about the default of a product that was asked about. If I wanted to put down the product in a false sense, then talk trash, but until then, please get off my back.

Oh, and ask Nick V about his tinsel problems under regular usage and recommended RMS. Not too mention a few threads on ca.com with same issue.

As for selling what I carry, guess what, I know the product I carry so therefor I know the ups and downs and what will work for the customer.

Thank you,
Kevin Holden
Low-Hz

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

-apem

Post Number: 15799
you would think scott would have that problem fixed by now. especially with all the complaints in various forums.

also kevin and i had a long talk in the past and he is the type of person that will stand behind his product 150%. so its a win win situation when you buy his recomendations.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 5967
I wouldn't call it bashing when Kevin speaks the truth.I love how people also say it was user error all the time but damn...how many noobs blow up their other subs so easily and have tinsel issues?There are lots of noobs out there and I don't hear them complaining about other subs as much as I've heard about the terrible tinsel issue with Fi subs.Ask TeamSubsGoPoof from CA.com about a wall of BTLS that took blew up lol.Either he was making it all up or someone was having a bad day at a comp.He mentioned this on AIM months ago and I found it to be pretty funny.The guy was probably pushing the subs way too hard though...

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 7211
hunterw ..."haha. i think it would be cool though paul. i think sean(insearchofbass) needs one he loves soind those tye of box builds. wonder where he has been lately."

Im here the abc box has alot of potential but needs test tuning to make it work in the enviornment your using it in. But its biggest advantage is being able to tune the sub lower than normal because of the box lowering the subs excursion.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 71
oh my gawd, the RL-S looks amazing

Platinum Member

-apem

Post Number: 15802
not only does the rl-s look amazing it sounds amazing. lol. i love mine.

Silver Member

Post Number: 667
if you want to spend more money then go for it
i havent heard one but judging from the sound and quality of the rl-p im sure it would be awesome

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 3141
The RL-S is much better than the RL-P. The P is slightly slow on percussive bass notes especially in the bigger sizes which makes it sound muddy in some circumnstances and it doesn't come close to the S in transient response and clarity. But then again, nothing does. And also, even though it is known as a sheer SQ subwoofer, the S has some serious kick and will surprise people with it's output and excursion.

Silver Member

Www.TeamSSAudio.com, MD

Post Number: 503
The amount of tinsel breaks compared to amount of Fi drivers sold is not even close. So yes, the majority of them are user abuse, if it was such an issue it would have been corrected a long time ago. To believe a very accomplished driver designer/engineer, with a good history to stick with a design fault, you are only fooling your self.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 5999
Posting in bold makes me better than the next guy. I won't "fool" myself, I'll just stay away from those products with issues. I run DD subs and if DD goes south and starts having problems you bet your a ss I'm going to steer people away from DD as well. I heard recently that they were having problems with open coils but they were fixing the problems and not blaming it on user error but whatever. If it's the problem is fixed cool. I wonder if I played some Funky pups out of tuning would they have tinsel slap?

Silver Member
Username: Mj23dynasty

Harrisburg star city, Pistolvania USA

Post Number: 315
what the hell are funky pups??

Gold Member
Username: Basssquared

Kansas

Post Number: 1540
what a noob everyone knows about funky pups :P
and Rob you crack me up nigga but you made some really good points

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4222

Bronze Member
Username: Marcooo

Post Number: 40
I had tinsel lead problems with my Q and it definetly was user error. Didn't push it hard what-so-ever, my "pro" installer said he set all my settings for me and I assumed that to be all amp settings besides just the gain. Apparently I was wrong to assume. Anyways Fi re-coned it and added another spider for free, now I've had it for 2-3 weeks with all my settings correct and it works great. Oh and Scott designed my box for me the day after I e-mailed him

Just my expercience with Fi.

Platinum Member

-apem

Post Number: 15825
rob is an azzhole.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11267
"what the hell are funky pups??"

The best subwoofer ever made.

http://www.funkypup.tk/

Gold Member
Username: Basssquared

Kansas

Post Number: 1544
chad you forgot the lol ;)

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4223
Stupid forum

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11268
Lol. Those are probably actually worth something in a nostalgic sense.

If you have any.....hold onto them.

Gold Member
Username: Snarl2004

Digital Design 9515, Massive Audi...

Post Number: 1909
"I heard recently that they were having problems with open coils"

DD's were having problems with open coils?

Gold Member

Team Revolution

Post Number: 3000
how much for funky pup?

Silver Member
Username: Mj23dynasty

Harrisburg star city, Pistolvania USA

Post Number: 325
lol thats funny

Gold Member

Post Number: 3207
i wasn't bashing kevin... i like kevin alot... me and kevin emailed frequently about trying to get an install done, i'm just saying he has been known, and there is also documents of this, to slam on companies he doesn't carry, especially Fi. I agree the problems are ridiculous, but i have owned a Fi product so i can't say whether it's user error or manufacturers overrating their subs or what...

Gold Member

Team Revolution

Post Number: 3001
im serious though m.s.

Silver Member

Www.TeamSSAudio.com, MD

Post Number: 504
There are no more funky pups for sale. I still have my 4 8's BNIB.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11271
What's your price?

Seriously.

Platinum Member

-apem

Post Number: 15826
no i didn't ray. rob knows wassup. rofl.

Gold Member

Team Revolution

Post Number: 3005
can you get just the dustcaps i wonder? how much denim?

Silver Member

ATX, Texas

Post Number: 870
^^^ you would

Gold Member

Team Revolution

Post Number: 3006
whatever baconator hater!!!!!!

Silver Member

ATX, Texas

Post Number: 871
sh1t sucked!!!

Silver Member

Www.TeamSSAudio.com, MD

Post Number: 505
Not for sale, sorry, I should have said I am keeping them. I tend to collect odd audio things over the years.

Gold Member

Team Revolution

Post Number: 3019
you broke ..my heart denim lol. i want a dustcap

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11287
Alright denim. Hold onto them. Be.....selfish.

LOLOL.

I would.

Silver Member
Username: Visitor

Middleofnowhere, Minnesota USA

Post Number: 137
"The RL-S is much better than the RL-P. The P is slightly slow on percussive bass notes especially in the bigger sizes which makes it sound muddy in some circumnstances and it doesn't come close to the S in transient response and clarity. But then again, nothing does. And also, even though it is known as a sheer SQ subwoofer, the S has some serious kick and will surprise people with it's output and excursion."

I can think of several woofers that surpass the rls in most respect.. do not forget.. the rls is simply an old lmt design. a very nice woofer, though. im have nothing bad to say about it:D
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us