Fuse blowing on amp...

Bronze Member
Username: Spankinurwoofers

MI US

Post Number: 26
I have a Lightning Audio B2.150.2 amp (450 watt max 2 ch.), and the fuse keeps blowing on the amp. Anybody know what the problem is? I checked all the connections, made sure the fuse in the power wire was fine...replaced the fuse in the amp twice and it blew twice. ?!?!?!

Silver Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois United States

Post Number: 446
Does it blow as soon as you put power to it, or when you start playing your music, or once as you turn it up? Make sure your power wire isn't grounding out or wires aren't mixed up somewhere. Did you recently do any changes to your system?

Bronze Member

MI US

Post Number: 27
ok, i hooked it up, checked the connections(pretty sure i did it right, it was the same as the amp i unhooked)...and as soon as i turned my key to put power to it, you could hear it pop through the speakers(the volume was barely up too), i'd look and the fuse was blown. any ideas??? and no, i didnt change anything, except unhook the other amp to hook this one up(but they're the same amp, just bought for a friend and was testing it).

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, Bangn aint easy ....when u g...

Post Number: 3906
problem.... Lightning Audio

lol

Bronze Member

MI US

Post Number: 28
haha, yea, i pretty much just got it cuz it was cheap. and thats what my friend was looking for, but is there any way to fix it or is it pretty much shot?

Username: Meah

Olive Hill, Kentucky United States

Post Number: 5
are you using the correct rated fuse?

like if it requires a 20a fuse don't use a 5a.

Bronze Member

GR, MI US

Post Number: 65
it says 25A right over where the fuse goes, so that's the size fuse I've been using. No clue whats wrong with it though ! Any ideas???

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1421
are you just running a regular pair of speakers?

if you're running multiple speakers or speakers with dual coils wired to a lower than standard impedence over-current and blown fuses can result.

Bronze Member

GR, MI US

Post Number: 70
Ok, just for clarification (i dont think i said what i was powering), i had the 2 channel L.A. amp, powering two RF T162C's.

The amp is rated for '75 watts x 2 @ 4 ohms. The speakers are rated '75 watts' and are 4 ohm speakers. both products are made by rockford fosgate, (technically) so the ratings should be similar...they're both 75 watts RMS (either per speaker, or per channel) and 4 ohms.

Silver Member
Username: Torn

Post Number: 368
Just throw it away and buy yourself a new better amp; it will save time and brain cells.
and you won't... Upload

Bronze Member

GR, MI US

Post Number: 76
lol, was just wondering if there was ANYTHING i could do, before i do just that...and throw it away. seems like a waste to me.

Silver Member
Username: Torn

Post Number: 371
try shipping to them to fix it and see what it costs you, and when you get it back you realized you coulda gotten better for the cost's maybe over 80$ if they even fix it? and just have to accept that you...

Upload

Silver Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 907
I love that picture.

Sweet set up.. haha.

Username: Sscaptain

Rd, Pa United states

Post Number: 1
may be the ohms load to the amp is less than it can handle

Bronze Member

GR, MI US

Post Number: 100
i only had two speakers that are 4 ohms each to the amp, 1 per channel. seeing as the amp is 2 ohm stable stereo, i think it's 4 ohm stable stereo too...doubt it, but thanks for the suggestion.

Silver Member
Username: Sqcheap

Grand rapids, Michigan Usa

Post Number: 123
The amp is very likely blown, blown transistors. If you don't want to solder it back together yourself put it on ebay. People buy blown amps, but cheap ones are not worth much of course as they expect to get paid for fixing them. I've been told they are not any worse than audiobahn/bazooka/visonik/etc asian made amps. What you can do is take a DMM (digital meter) set to ohms, and check between the pos and neg speaker leads of each channel and bridged. If you show no or nearly no ohms like if you touch the leads of meter, then it is blown for sure. But it may be blown anyway, you would have to get inside it and measure some things to find what melted. If it blows fuses then something is shorted for sure, it should protect with wrong or shorted speakers...it should. If it blows when you trigger it then it may be the outputs maybe. Any amp that size should fire up on a 7.5A fuse if not playing music really loud. It also might put full voltage to your speakers before the fuse blows, maybe 20-30V so be careful.

Silver Member

GR, MI US

Post Number: 103
Yea, just tried that, and the DMM showed '0' when checking the channels. So it's blown then?

Thanks for the help sqcheap. You live in GR? Where at? I live in Ada, NE GR.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us