OT: New forum?

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1045
Alright guys, I've been looking into a few things concerning web space that I can get. I got a few simi-major web hosts that owe me a few favors, so I can easily have my own domain and basically unlimited space/bandwidth.

What I would really love to do is create a new forum sort of like ecoustics. No, this will not be another forum that gets started, remains inactive, and just dies. There will be 100% uptime and absolutely NO server lag. The forum will have select mods that the members vote for. This way the forum will almost always have an admin on it. This way we can ban known scammers (not mentioning any names) and the forum would remain organized. There would be several different categories so it isn't all crammed into one section like this forum. The forum will run on the newest version of PHPBB and will have an eye-pleasing theme along with avatars, signatures, quotes, and several other features that this forum does not have.

SO, what I need to know is do you guys really want this or are you fine with the current forum we have now at ecoustics? If you really want it, tell some of the categories and things you would like to see on the forum. I want this to be what the users want it to be. So give it some feedback :D

Silver Member
Username: Shade

Moxee, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 487
I think you have a good idea, altho somethings IMO would be necessary:

- Sticky's
- 21yrs+ mods
- be able to edit posts
and also it should show up on a google search.

Gold Member

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1046
Jeremy, all of the above will be available, except for the 21yrs+ mods. I don't base maturity upon age.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 11199
We CAN edit our posts here. Just not everyone knows how or really cares. Jesse started his own forum and it got activity for a couple months but the traffic dropped off. Check out some the features he along with Brad and Chad have put together over there. It started off well.......

http://com4.runboard.com/becousticsfam

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 7102
nick, the only problem with starting a forum is getting noobs over there. i hate to break it to everyone but without noobs, there probably wouldnt even be forums. i mean how often do the regulars like brad, chad, bern, paul, rob, rovin, mike, longo, tremor, kevin, and all those other forum pros actually make a thread asking a question thats ON topic. it really doesnt happen too much. a forum needs noobs to create questions. more questions asked, the more chances we have of being a top search result on google. most people on here found this site due to asking a question on google, i know thats how i foud it. if there was a way that we could attract noobs to the site to get their questions answered then im all for it. honestly, i was thinking about IMing you the other day to see if you were interested in making one lol. besides that problem, i dont see any reason with not making one. ill certainly sign up and post frequesntly if i can help or contribute.

Gold Member

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1047
Paul that forum is nice.

Yanks, we could get noobs there by bumping a thread that redirects them to the forum.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11200
This forum is what it is. One mod, no avatars, no sigs, crashes far too frequently and is riddled with ads that do nothing but slow page loading. buuuuuuut it does have an enormous member pool supporting a wide topic range. For the most part we're left to police ourselves. Shoot, look how long it took to get an OT and for sale section. Ppl like a fresh new forum but more return to the one they're loyal to.

Also I think the admin here doesn't want members as mods because of the personality that gets tagged with a member. From what I get some of the mods over at ca.com are d1cks. The admin here isn't a d1ck, he just doesn't care. Cold quiet control. The way he likes it.

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

ASU

Post Number: 2095
not worth the time/effort to start over in my opinion.

Gold Member

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1048
Ok, nevermind then.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 3126
I spent alot of time creating the graphics and HTML formatting for The Lowdown forum and it didn't pick up like we all thought it would. If we all made an effort to start going there again and get it rolling I think it could still work. The noobs will come if we spread the word more. Everything we need is there and it works flawlessly. It looks like I need to tweak the server for the main banners but that could be just a temporary issue. Don't really see a need to create another forum when we already have a very good one all set up. It is harder than most people think to keep one going (it is easy at the start) without the advertising dollars and networking power that Ecoustics brings to the table.

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Team Revolution

Post Number: 2921
i im made a mod ill press it. id like a cool ecoustics environment with more features. maybe we can hit up the cac.net peeps roe, havoc forums, wtf happen to carstereos.org? and carstereo.com lots of places to hit up.

Silver Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois United States

Post Number: 447
Personally, I would rather not have sigs imo UNLESS they are only allowed to be so big, because I find it annoying when someone someone has a bunch of crap in there taking up space.
I think having too many categories is another thing. Otherwise there is some topics that never get much attention because people aren't interested in those as much as others. But there definetly has to be more than what E has, like a box building thread, RELATED events and activities, and a place for the "off topic" posts (but I guess that would ruin the point of it being off topic lol).

^^^ Just my opinion and ideas

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11203
"But there definetly has to be more than what E has, like a box building thread, RELATED events and activities, and a place for the "off topic" posts (but I guess that would ruin the point of it being off topic lol)."

We've had an OT section for quite some time now.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/off-topic/289508.html

Silver Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois United States

Post Number: 449
LOL im dumb. I think I do remember seeing it a while back. I guess what I meant was having an "off topic" part in the car audio section, I didnt think anyone used it here. But obviously people do.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11206
Lol. Don't sweat it man. You'd be suprised how many ppl here who don't know about all the other sections and topics available. From cameras to TV to home audio and car audio.....We have a wealth of experience here. You just have to open your eyes.

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Turtles have four legs

Post Number: 3434
If it was a car audio website with a forum, then it will probaly have a better start.

example.
ecoustics - its like cnet, and it probaly is with cnet. I think ecoustics gathers up reviews from other websites and you can find them here. something like that. and this play has a huge forum with lots of topics. Probaly the biggest forum I've ever seen.

realmofexcursion - they have vids, pics, ampguts, and a online store, and a forum.

caraudio.com - has a feature for people to get ca.com emails, shows the top 10 websites to shop from, etc etc and then a forum.

IMO, the best way a car audio forum would become successful is through time, and something that comes before the forum, or if your really popular in the car audio world (ex:glasswolf, steve meade) and started a forum, it'll become successful like that as well.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us