Windows Vista help

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 11161
Help me out you computer gurus lol. My one month old pc was working fine until I tried installing the device driver for my canon scanner tonight. The scanner failed to install obviously. (Vista's reputation). Anyway after my failed attempts I gave up and now my IE won't work. I've tried restarting several times and then tried to restore my pc to two different points with the same results, IE will not work. The restore doesn't even go through. I tried restoring to yesterday and then again 5 days ago, still no dice. Restore fails and IE will not work. I'm on firefox right now.

This is pizzing me off. I can't reinstall IE from Microsoft cause it tells me it's already installed. Should I try a restore point way further back? If so why did everything work just one hour ago?

I have an HP Pavilion.

I have a love/hate relationship with technology.

Gold Member
Username: Rideredder

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 1116
Did you try doing a search for IE from your start menu? There should be a folder there.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11163
I can try to start IE but it immediately says IE has encountered a problem and needs to close. Then another window pops up saying "Internet explorer has stopped working, a problem has caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

It has got to be a software problem cause I can use firefox. It happened right after I tried installing my scanner, which failed. The PC won't even restore.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11164
Well I got a little info. From a IE blog site I got this:

You can use IE if you go to: Control Panel, then Network & Internet. Then click on Internet Options, go on the Security tab and DISABLE the "Enable Protected Mode" checkbox for all internet zones. This will not fix the problem, but it will make it go away while we all wait for Microsoft to update IE with error messages that actually help us understand what happened. The same thing happened to me and now my internet explorer works! I feel your pain! I hope this works for you too!

After applying these changes IE works for me now, but my security is all fugged up. I still don't know hat I'm going to do next.

Baby steps I guess.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11165
Got it. Had to uninstall "omnipage" that was associated with the scanner install. Vista is fucked up fellas.

Thanks for the reply Mark.

Gold Member
Username: J_baby15

Murray, Kentucky

Post Number: 2052
Vista FTMFL :-( I got it on my new laptop, not my fav OS ever.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11169
Yeah it sucks alright. Nothing worked for me. Printers, scanners, and now this. You can't buy a new pc without it. I should've bought a Mac.

Silver Member
Username: Phil_salisbury

Post Number: 400
Vista sucks and if I ever have to get a new system I will just take the HD out of this system and put it in the new one or I scam a copy of XP Pro from someone install that instead.

I've heard nothing but complains about Vista much in the same manner when XP came out that some sh!t would work till the drivers/program was updated.

I know of a few business's that will not upgrade to vista because they don't want the hassle of trying to get all their hardware, programs and networks to work with Vista.

Vista will be the b@stard child that windows ME was, a complete failure.

Silver Member
Username: B3n07

Louisville, Ky USA

Post Number: 592
widows sucks they have always suckd

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11170
Yet they give you no option of OS at time of purchase. Everyone buying a new PC is at their mercy.

Gold Member
Username: J_baby15

Murray, Kentucky

Post Number: 2053
its BS!!! I wish MACs where cheaper...U can run Windows or apple software on em...id get one for sure..

Silver Member

Post Number: 401
Well, that's why I said I would either take the HD out of this system and put it in the new one or find a copy of XP and install that.

Yes, Ben, windows has always sucked, Bill Gates is out to take over the world and when the hackers get tired of fuking with Microsoft, they start hacking Mac's or any other form of operating system.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11171
Interesting.....

Gold Member
Username: Rideredder

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 1117
When I orderd my new PC a couple of months ago they gave me the option of Vista or XP. I chose XP because of all the negative feedback coming from other users of Vista, plus I've never had a problem with XP that I couldn't fix on my own.

You're better off to build your own.

www.abs.com

I have the M5 Gladiator Pro model.

Silver Member
Username: Cblaze

Rock island, Tenesssee Us

Post Number: 508
vista will make the worlds fastest computer the worlds slowest

Silver Member
Username: Shade

Moxee, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 480
vista does make things a bit slower but so far i've had more stability with it, and i can have 8gb of ram. wait to get vista when the sp1 comes out

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6666
New Macs run under Unix OS. As for hacking, since there aren't that many Mac users vs PC, not worth it for them to waste time. Not only that, it costs more (good thing) so most parents won't buy their brats and let them hack away.
A while back, I used to like Microsoft, but ever since they turned greedy like Sony, I dispise them. I hate anything with "$shittysoft" label. Who in the world would release an os like Vista and claim it's the best ever? That crap can't run on machines with 1GB of ram without crashing. I've managed to run on a MacPro 8core with 6GB of ram and 500GB hd. It runs like the way XP runs on a normal machine with 2BG of ram. Everyone should ask for a refund from $hittysoft.
Try this simple test. Install a fresh OS like Windows 2000 or XP. See how fast it boots up and behaves. Now apply ALL their $hitty patches (over 50) and then time it. It boots up 3-5x slower. $hittysoft and Norton make great pair. Without those 2 software on your machine, it's guaranteed to slow down any machine Intel can make.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11172
One thing I noticed for sure is what vista does to my processor. At least with XP once it booted up it settled down. Now I have vista the HD NEVER stops grinding. I hear it constantly running. Bring up the task manager and show all processes from all users and there are 65+ running at any given time. Ask me where all my ram goes? That's out of the box. Out of 326 gigs of HD space there are only 250 gigs left after preloaded crap. That's 1/4 of MY HD space already spoken for. Tell me microsoft isn't the hijacker here lol.

Silver Member

Post Number: 402
Isaac,

I'm not going to argue with ya simply because it's not worth the effort to defend MS. Yeah, I know what your talking about because on more than a few occasions I've re-installed my system and yes, it whips along no problem till all the patches have to be installed.

But, that's nothing more than " Bloated Software " performing functions that just eat resources/processing speed.

Also, anytime computer manufacturers up the speed and processing power, software developers, designers, writers and whomever try to take advantage of that speed/power because they figure all this whiz, bang, flash and whatnot impresses people and people being the fools they are fall for this sh!t.

If I truly understood computing to degree only computing folks do then I would create a Multiple Boot up, Dual boot OS system such that depending on what I want to use each bootup os/startup for, I can that can control what I need from the system for what I am doing.

As for XP, I have XP Pro and I had very little issues with it what so ever other than the initial problems with getting my printer software perform as it should, but, 3/4 of that crap I never used and when I upgrade the graphics/video card, installed the software and updated the software, no problems what so ever.

Only real problem I had is when I installed a larger hard drive which required XP update SP2, Updated Bio's and updated Intel chipset drivers.

Only other thing updated is the ram which was 1/2 gig to 1 1/2 gigs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us